BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have some wind noise (I think this is what it is) that comes from up high (I think) around the drivers door that begins when I get up to 45MPH and becomes incrementally louder as speed increases. Any ideas? New door seal? Gumipfledge (sp?)?

Thx, Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
sarends said:
I seem to have some wind noise (I think this is what it is) that comes from up high (I think) around the drivers door that begins when I get up to 45MPH and becomes incrementally louder as speed increases. Any ideas? New door seal? Gumipfledge (sp?)?

Thx, Steve
Check your jack hot spots. There should be one next to each wheel. All four have to be plugged with the jack support. For some reason, if they're not, you can hear wind noise. Another problem could be the seal around the sunroof ($50). It gets worn after time. This seems to make more noise than if you were missing the jack support. By the way, both are personal experiences. Check bmwtips for more info.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/liftpads.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Check your jack hot spots. There should be one next to each wheel. All four have to be plugged with the jack support. For some reason, if they're not, you can hear wind noise. Another problem could be the seal around the sunroof ($50). It gets worn after time. This seems to make more noise than if you were missing the jack support. By the way, both are personal experiences. Check bmwtips for more info.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/liftpads.htm
I have noticed a little wind noise as well.

Steve, please let us know how you end up fixing your problem.

Thanks,
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked my jack openings and sure enough, three out of four were missing! So, I just replaced them last night and will go do a "wind noise" test today and will report back.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
sarends said:
I checked my jack openings and sure enough, three out of four were missing! So, I just replaced them last night and will go do a "wind noise" test today and will report back.

Steve
Don't forget the seal around the sunroof if you still hear noise. Close the cover as a test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a_ok2me, you are a genius! I replaced the missing plastic jack covers and the windy noise is gone! I can't even believe that this noise was coming from an area so low on the car, and I would think inaudible. Thanks again! If you had not experienced this, how in the world would I have ever found this irritating noise!

Thx, Steve

a_ok2me said:
Check your jack hot spots. There should be one next to each wheel. All four have to be plugged with the jack support. For some reason, if they're not, you can hear wind noise. Another problem could be the seal around the sunroof ($50). It gets worn after time. This seems to make more noise than if you were missing the jack support. By the way, both are personal experiences. Check bmwtips for more info.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/liftpads.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
sarends said:
a_ok2me, you are a genius!
No, no, no. Don't thank me. I went to the dealer to fix the auto trans on my 528i several years ago and they noticed a missing jack support and stuck in a new one and said it should stop wind noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
where do you get the parts? How much? Do they just snap right in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
wow that was quick... thanks!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top