BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to purchase a MY00.

and im curious how you other MY00 owners feel.

If you maxed out all your maintence/warranty available
for MY00. 6yr/100K. Its going to run out in 06.

Are you guys worried?? Thinking about selling??
Anything you guys gonna get fixed/serviced/maintenced/warrantied
before the dreaded day of the expiration of the Maintence/warranty comes.

Things to think about?:D
Clutch
Brakes/rotors
Shocks/struts
Ball bearing joints
All vehicle fluids
and etc etc.. any little thing you can get done.

Let me know if im missing anything.

And if anyone from the Washington DC area, that know of a
FRIENDLY BMW service.. WHO is it.. :wroom:

Anything else am I missing, that

·
Registered
146 Posts
My '00 is great. It also only has 30K miles. It's a car.......its going to need stuff from time to time.....face it. You don't need a maintainance agreement. You just need a little knowledge, a few tools, some time and a check book........but it won't be as bad as you think. But if you can't afford it, get something cheaper until you can. Don't get into something that you won't be able to afford to keep up.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My 00 had a four year, 50k warranty. Are you sure about the 6/100k?

So far the only things that have broken were 2 cam sensors and a sway bar bracket - standard stuff. One sensor and the bracket were done under warranty, the other sensor was recent.

I am looking forward to another 5 years of ownership, at the least. No worries whatsoever.

Steve

·
Registered
248 Posts
Had mine for a 10 months. CPO until 1-06/100K.
39K on the clock when I bought it. 54K now. Just had the carbon issue fixed under warranty, but dealer claimed it was a "one time goodwill fix". Only other problem has been the rear sway bar bracket. I have replaced the right one 2x. I suggest purchasing aftermarket brackets once the oem breaks, which they will surely do. Clutch replaced before I bought it, but it will need replacing again soon. If so, I will go w/ the UUC direct replacement as opposed to the oem.

I may sell it after warranty runs out & buy an 03. The e60 is still growing on me......

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Keep in mind that a number of the items on your list are 'consumables' that you will be paying for even before your warranty runs out. Do your homework on the major items... when replaced during the car's service history, how close to wear limit specs during CPO inspection, etc.

You should investigate a 3rd party warranty to cover you after your CPO runs out. OneSource looks good to me from my homework, and I will probably pick up a full coverage package for several years before the end of '05. Check their website and you can get instant quotes on coverage options.

Love my 11/99 build (54k mi) ... absolutely no issues or worries. The car is a masterpiece and has not given me any unwanted surprises. Just miles of grins.

Cheers,

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine is a 00 w/ 47000 no major problems at all, i love it. but you have to have a check book there is no doubt.:M5launch:
E39 MFIVE said:
Im about to purchase a MY00.

and im curious how you other MY00 owners feel.

If you maxed out all your maintence/warranty available
for MY00. 6yr/100K. Its going to run out in 06.

Are you guys worried?? Thinking about selling??
Anything you guys gonna get fixed/serviced/maintenced/warrantied
before the dreaded day of the expiration of the Maintence/warranty comes.

Things to think about?:D
Clutch
Brakes/rotors
Shocks/struts
Ball bearing joints
All vehicle fluids
and etc etc.. any little thing you can get done.

Let me know if im missing anything.

And if anyone from the Washington DC area, that know of a
FRIENDLY BMW service.. WHO is it.. :wroom:

Anything else am I missing, that

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had no issues (or any worries) about my 2000 M5. This has been written about before, but you generally only hear from folks who have issues and therefore get a disproportionate sense of "problems".

As long as there is no abuse on the car (and note, I mean ABUSE, not occasional spirited driving - which the car begs for!), there should be no problems. I know that I take excellent care of my "piece of heaven" and have no concerns.

Good luck in your decisionmaking

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a MY00 with 65 kmiles. It runs well for now, but it hasn't been cheap for me or BMW. I've had several O2/cam position/MAF sensors replaced, mostly under warranty, and the big hit was one of the VANOS assemblies that was replaced, again under an extended warranty, plus the clutch which was the 3rd, so I went with a UUC Stage III and put that concern out to pasture.

My experience is probably worse than normal, but the car never ceases to please. Just bring your checkbook for any of the wear-and-tear items - which is most of what you mentioned in your list - nothing is cheap to replace on the car. But you knew that going in....

Good luck on your aftermarket warranty (above 100 kmiles) I'd appreciate a pointer to the site that offers one. If you're closer to Baltimore than NoVa, I would recommend Towson BMW, they've done really well for me.

Cheers! cherrsagai cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I sold mine at 49K miles. Now I am driving a 2005 CTS-V - just picked it up. Amazing car, and available for killer lease rates at a $46-47K purchase price and starts off with a full 4yr-50K warrantee. I think that long term it will be cheaper to maintain - the LS6 is bullet-proof and cheap to repair or replace if needed, as is the Tremec 6-speed. You lose some interior quality, but pick up some better features such as way better nav and sat, plus a much better stereo. Ride / handling and power are all on par w. the BMW. Braking feel and stopping power is better - 4 piston Brembos with 14.5" rotors!! Steering response and feel is better - rack instead of ball-gear steering on M5. Biggest weakness so far is the shifter is horrible, but I hear UUC or B&M will fix that right up.

So, all in all a nice compramise for equal driving pleasure and capability, for less money to run. Although not as classy or pure sexy looking as an E39 M5, but it works for me.

Scott

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rich

Thanks for your advice on the stealership.
I actually live in MD, Chesapeake Beach.
If you don't know. its like 20 minutes south
of Annapolis. Actually my wife is from the Severna park area.
Towson BMW eh?? ahh huh.
Recommend any particular Service Advisor??
And would it be good/bad to take it into service
with Laundry list of things?? OR would it just piss
them off??

:cheers:
M5_in_MD said:
I have a MY00 with 65 kmiles. It runs well for now, but it hasn't been cheap for me or BMW. I've had several O2/cam position/MAF sensors replaced, mostly under warranty, and the big hit was one of the VANOS assemblies that was replaced, again under an extended warranty, plus the clutch which was the 3rd, so I went with a UUC Stage III and put that concern out to pasture.

My experience is probably worse than normal, but the car never ceases to please. Just bring your checkbook for any of the wear-and-tear items - which is most of what you mentioned in your list - nothing is cheap to replace on the car. But you knew that going in....

Good luck on your aftermarket warranty (above 100 kmiles) I'd appreciate a pointer to the site that offers one. If you're closer to Baltimore than NoVa, I would recommend Towson BMW, they've done really well for me.

Cheers! cherrsagai cherrsagai

·
Registered
29 Posts
C4RACER said:
I sold mine at 49K miles. Now I am driving a 2005 CTS-V - just picked it up. Amazing car, and available for killer lease rates at a $46-47K purchase price and starts off with a full 4yr-50K warrantee. I think that long term it will be cheaper to maintain - the LS6 is bullet-proof and cheap to repair or replace if needed, as is the Tremec 6-speed. You lose some interior quality, but pick up some better features such as way better nav and sat, plus a much better stereo. Ride / handling and power are all on par w. the BMW. Braking feel and stopping power is better - 4 piston Brembos with 14.5" rotors!! Steering response and feel is better - rack instead of ball-gear steering on M5. Biggest weakness so far is the shifter is horrible, but I hear UUC or B&M will fix that right up.

So, all in all a nice compramise for equal driving pleasure and capability, for less money to run. Although not as classy or pure sexy looking as an E39 M5, but it works for me.

Scott
C4Racer,
I actually considered the 2005 CTS-V before getting my M5. I agree that the CTS-V is a nice car, but a couple of things bothered me. I thought the spacing of the pedals were bad, the shifter was a little loose, and the lack of a hand emergency brake was a bonehead move on the part of GM. In the end, I decided on the M5 because I could purchase it used (including aftermarket warranty) for the same payment as leasing the CTS-V. And take it from someone who has been there, that if you need to get rid of a car for some reason, getting someone to assume a lease (CTS-V) is a lot more difficult than selling a car outright (M5). But as far as driving, they are both comparable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.