BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, My friends are confused! One says that there Mustang Cobra can beat a M5, but my other friend says his M5 will win. I think the M5 will win. Maybe if you all say which is better my friend will finally believe me!

·
Registered
81 Posts
A Saleen SR 351 would be the most likely candidate to win in the Mustang family.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd guess the M5 would be faster then a Cobra, but what interests me is how often German car owners compare their cars to other makes of cars that cost half as much, or even less. Come on, an $80,000 plus 400 horsepower BMW compared to a 320 horsepower $28,000 Ford?? I'd certainly hope the M5 would win.

I even saw a post from someone saying they had 'killed' a standard Mitsubishi 3000 GT (not even the VR4) with their M5... That would be like me posting a messagge on the Viper board saying I'd killed a 328i.

I had a 98 M3 for awhile and my fellow owners were always comparing their cars to Z28s, rather then the C5 Corvette.

And, the M5 will probably compare quite well against a 996 Porsche and also a Dodge Viper or F355 Ferrari.

Jim

·
Banned
96 Posts
Jim, the most likely candidate as a threat for current dominating supercars right now, including the E39 M5 will more likely than not be as I mentioned, the Mustang Cobra R which is a limited edition vehicle that is intended mostly for the track, but will end up on the street one way or another. I doubt very much that the standard Cobra could be much of a threat to the M5.

Interestingly enough, one of my bosses in my previous employs owned a Saleen, which he bought after trading in his Porsche 911TT. He hated the Porsche, said it was too high-maintenance in all respects, and actually felt that his Saleen commanded a much greater presence, was faster, and got "more chicks" than his TT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have read the reports about the Cobra R and I'm not really impressed because it isn't actually a production car. As you say, it is limited production and is mostly designed for track use, kind of a factory 'tuner' car.

I forget what the price will be, but I think it is around $50,000. I'd rather wait for the new M3 then try to find a Cobra R.

I think a 911TT would be an outstanding car, although I don't know about their reliability I guess I'd be surprised if it wasn't pretty rock solid. I agree that the looks of the 911 aren't that stunning to the non-enthusiast. The new 996TT should be killer, but I understand they are sold out for 3 years and that asking prices are $25,000 over sticker.

I ended up buying a 99 Viper GTS but would have certainly considered an M5 if I could have gone down to my local BMW dealer and bought one brand new for under 70K.

BTW, does anyone know what's up with a new MZ3??

Jim

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
A stock Mustang Cobra will in way, shape or form keep up with an E39 M5. However, I have seen with my own eyes that a modified Cobra has run low 12's in the quarter mile. This was done without superchargers, turbochargers or N2O. With the addition of better gearing, drag radials, polished and ported heads, modified engine software, modified intake track, and modified exhaust system. This turned a high 13 second car into a low 12 second car.

I mention all these modifications because John Hennessey made a claim a little while ago that he would get an M5 to match the performance of a Viper GTS. I think that is an easily attainable goal for the M5.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had a run in with a VR4 and beat him on the thruway. He challenged me so.... what the heck. However I had a real rough time with a early to mid 90's 5.0 between 80 and 120, he got the better of me. From 120 on it was over but untill then I had all I could do to stay with him. Just because we paid 80,000.00 for our car dosen't mean something for half the price can't compare 0-60 or in a standing 1/4 mile, come on guys.
I'm anxious to take on a C-5 Should be close... Bruce Peter

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had a run in with a VR4 and beat him on the thruway. He challenged me so.... what the heck. However I had a real rough time with a early to mid 90's 5.0 between 80 and 120, he got the better of me. From 120 on it was over but untill then I had all I could do to stay with him. Just because we paid 80,000.00 for our car dosen't mean something for half the price can't compare 0-60 or in a standing 1/4 mile, come on guys.
I'm anxious to take on a C-5 Should be close... Bruce Peter

·
Banned
96 Posts
The Cobra has 320HP, while the GT has something like 260HP. Cobra also has significant suspension improvements and independent rear now. Not sure if the GT has the independent rear. Cobra R supposed to have in excess of 380 HP.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jim - I guess I would consider the M5 and 996TT limited production, too, based on the fact that there is such a long wait and some dealers are gouging the consumer.

I know that the level of comfort, features, etc, are just a little bit lower in a 'Stang....

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Amfung:

A Cobra Mustang has a 320 hp, DOHC V-8 with 4 valves per cylinder. The 99 and newer Cobra's have an independent rear suspension and minor cosmetic differences from a GT. A new GT has a 260hp SOHC V-8 with 2 valves per cylinder and a solid/live rear axle. The 5.0 GT was discontined in 1995. From 1996 on Ford installed the 4.6 liter modular OHC V-8 engines in the Mustang.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a run with a cobra with 5 people in the beast and I still whipped him.They have a good jump of the line but when you hit 2nd gearit looks like the mustang is standing still

David

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was all confused and wondering what these people were talking about with non supercharged cobras and only 320 hp, and then I looked at the dates that these were posted and it started making more sense, old thread, Josh

·
Registered
540 Posts
Tom C said:
Amfung:

A Cobra Mustang has a 320 hp, DOHC V-8 with 4 valves per cylinder. The 99 and newer Cobra's have an independent rear suspension and minor cosmetic differences from a GT. A new GT has a 260hp SOHC V-8 with 2 valves per cylinder and a solid/live rear axle. The 5.0 GT was discontined in 1995. From 1996 on Ford installed the 4.6 liter modular OHC V-8 engines in the Mustang.
The 2003 and 2004 mustang cobras come with a factory supercharger with 390 hp and 390 tq, weighs in around 3600# and will give the M5 all it wants up to 120 mph. A few low cost mods to the stock trim will make it a M5 beater. High cost and exclusivity does not a winner make. so be careful out there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
M5 Fever said:
The 2003 and 2004 mustang cobras come with a factory supercharger with 390 hp and 390 tq, weighs in around 3600# and will give the M5 all it wants up to 120 mph. A few low cost mods to the stock trim will make it a M5 beater. High cost and exclusivity does not a winner make. so be careful out there.
Not to take anything away from the Cobra, but I've driven the 390hp Cobra and was VERY dissapointed. I guess I was expecting too much. The shifter was very sloppy and the transmission clunked (common issue). All I could hear was the supercharger whine and the quality of the interior just wasn't there.

With that said, it was just as fast as the M5, albeit on a low budget.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
This 5 year old thread is obsolete, just like yesteryear's 320 & 390 HP Mustang and the 400 HP M5. The supercharged 390HP setup was a last gasp afterthought bolt-on for the old chassis. The car was porky at 3600lbs.

The std '05 Mustang GT you find in any dealer lot is quicker than any prior N/A 4 valve Cobra design because it offers brute torque from it's fresh 3 valve per cylinder setup. The car drives like a Vette, since downshifting is basically optional. It's sweetspot is anything above idle & this makes non-pro drivers look good....not to mention the advantages of a flexible, flat torque curve under daily use.

The new Mustang GT is both faster & lighter than the limited production 1995 5.8L 351W Cobra R that road racers so cherished. Comparing horsepower against M5 makes no sense because the new Mustang weighs similar to M3. The new Mustang is doing quite well in road racing & mountains of aftermarket parts are just around the corner. These cars sell for around $25K and run 13.5 sec or better in the 1/4 mi. The chip market is in full swing and retuning for 93 octane drops the 1/4 mi about 0.2 sec....close to M5. A $400 gear swap and $300 worth of mufflers will allow these budget cars to run with $75K saloons under most conditions.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I agree with most of what you say here Lscman. I noticed the new Mustang has gone back to the live axle, so I can't see how it does as well as any 'Vette. I am not a Ford fan as you may know, but I am not necessarily a big BMW fan currently either. I just think that Ford lags badly in the application of technology and typically comes up with clunky solutions to engineering problems. There is a lot of performance value though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts