BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I hope to pick up my beast tomorrow afternoon from NJ and drive it back to NC.<o:p></o:p>
I was thinking about all the maintenance, service, esthetic and aftermarket items I have purchased following a car/motorcycle purchase in the past, some of which were well worth it and others were impulse purchases that I probably could have done without.<o:p></o:p>
Since most people on this forum are E39 veterans, I wanted to ask what you all suggest as a “must have” list of service tools/items, maintenance tools and after market stuff (In that order of importance). I ask thsi especially because I do not have another BMW in my stable.
I hope this has not been discussed to ***** before and that other new owners can benefit from the provided list.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
First thing to buy is a good error code reader.

Peake is easy to use and has BMW specific codes,not the generic stuff..

Given you have Duc and Audi,I guess you have metric tools,anyway...

Rest depends of on the maintenance history and mileage of the car...

Would change all fluids,all filters,plugs,fuel filter....

Check all the suspension/brake/steering related stuff as well...

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Torque wrench if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
+1 Peake all the way

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Agree on the Peake reader. I would suggest good quality jack stands and two floor jacks, if you don't already have them. Two floor jacks makes it easier to get the car up on the jack stands, but you can do it with one.

Also, some Rhino ramps (or equivalent).

And a breaker bar for the fill plugs in the transmission and differential.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
peake is crap.

if you have an old laptop and $50 do the BMW-factory INPA/EDIABAS software

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
peake is crap.

if you have an old laptop and $50 do the BMW-factory INPA/EDIABAS software
Peake is better than a standard OBD-II reader, and not as propeller-head as INPA (and yes, I have both).

If you are a bit technical in nature, INPA is cool. If you're just starting out and want to keep it simple, but effective, then the Peake reader will work just fine. Plus, it's a bit more portable for use on road-trips when you might have a SES light and don't have your laptop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
blue-point (snap-on lower brand) has an awesome 250+ assortment tool set. ratchets of all sizes, breaker bar, etc...don't do a job unless you've got the right tools otherwise it's going to take you quadruple the time.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
blue-point (snap-on lower brand) has an awesome 250+ assortment tool set. ratchets of all sizes, breaker bar, etc...don't do a job unless you've got the right tools otherwise it's going to take you quadruple the time.
Do you have to get those from a Snap-On dealer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
you can get them on the snap-on website. they also pop up on ebay once in a while. there are various combos of tools as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Valentine 1...

:wroom:

and maybe a Laser Interceptor.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I never used the Peake,I also use INPA/DIS/NCSEXPERT...

But for most owners the Peake is a good solution,as not having to use a Laptop setup and with the Peake you can not brick anything...

can't brick anything if you only use INPA for diagnostics, and it's still cheaper than the other options out there. Factory-designed software + cheaper, it's going to be a hard argument for using peake or any other OBDII reader vs. INPA.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all.

I guess I know what I am getting for xmas:

1- Peake reader

2- 2 X Jacks and 2X stands

3- Rhino ramps for Oil changes

4- Valentine 1

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
can't brick anything if you only use INPA for diagnostics, and it's still cheaper than the other options out there. Factory-designed software + cheaper, it's going to be a hard argument for using peake or any other OBDII reader vs. INPA.
Depends what comes also in the EDIABIAS package....imagine someone playing around with NCS or WINKFP who has no clue....:grinyes:

But basically you are right,INPA is my favorite diagnosis tool for these cars as well!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Depends what comes also in the EDIABIAS package....imagine someone playing around with NCS or WINKFP who has no clue....:grinyes:

But basically you are right,INPA is my favorite diagnosis tool for these cars as well!
I use the above (NCS FTW - US window remote rollup!), but prefer DIS/SSS with my $5 USB/OBD cable as it is a bit more user friendly.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
The rhino ramps are useless if your car is lowered, you will scrape the bumper trying to get on them. I only get mine off the racks when I am working on stock cars.....

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
3- Rhino ramps for Oil changes
I would not recommend using rhino ramps for oil changes. You are suppose to add fluid and check it with the car on a level surface. Even if you remove the oil, you will have a very hard time pushing the car off the ramps before checking the oil level. Of course we all know what our cars are suppose to take for oil, but I am one of those guys that goes by what the oil stick says.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts