BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left the house this morning preoccupied with how to make it to work without a getting a ticket after I found one tail light out and the right brake light on the blink during pre-flight on my winter BMW.

I took the back way to work so as to reduce my risk of exposure. The police only need to observe this problem to issue me a ticket through the mail.

Guess I really was on auto-pilot as I mentally calculated the drive from work to the BMW dealer for repair parts when a bright red flash brought me back to reality again. What the ?? was that? :confused:

A quick cross check inside the cockpit revealed the speedometer sitting on 52? Or is that 55? Now I see the source of the red flash, a rather plain looking blue Opel station wagon with cameras and radar inside to monitor traffic both ways. :byee55amg

Worse yet it is parked beside a yellow sign that depicts the end the town’s speed restriction. Crap I just got a speeding ticket for doing two or three kph over the limit. In my own back yard, on a road I have never seen patrolled.

Funny, over fifteen years of driving in Europe, years full of triple digits speeds where allowed and many more miles of equally fast speeds in places it wasn’t allowed.

Funnier yet because before this, I never exceeded the limits posted for towns and housing areas because I know you only get 1 kph grace and fines follow that.

Maybe I won’t be fined after all, I am sure that the surprised look on my face has distorted my features so much they will think it was my pet monkey driving.

Can’t wait for spring and dry roads again, it is time to check the rev limit on the M5 once again, after all I got a new record to break now. :M5launch:
Ken

·
Registered
767 Posts
You only get 1 kph grace? Wow, that's tough. After reading your driving worries, I can say we have it very easy here. Think I'm hit 100MPH going to work this morning in your honor. Maybe 110.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Wow, that is a tough room....
I will also do 110 mph for you!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr Bock / Phillip
I appreciate the speed run for me, I will attempt to repay you as soon as the snow and ice leave here.

Reference the 1 kph, when the ticket arrives from the police, it will state how fast I was clocked, it will then state what the calibration error of the device is/was and if I was traveling 1 kph over the calibration error in town, then I will get fined.

I will say that they appear to be more forgiving on the autobahn that has restrictions, allowing a 10 to 20 kph range before the camera takes your picture. Here too they can be tricky since some sections of the autobahn now have over head speed limit signs that adjust according to traffic flow and/or weather conditions. You really have to watch these cause they also have radar and cameras mounted in the signs and you can get a ticket because the speed limit was just changed as you approached the sigh. :wroom:
Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts