BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered installing a custom H-pipe and "Dynomax super turbo" or "Flowmaster" mufflers on their M5 V8? ........I've heard all the exhaust sounds available and none sound better than a modified 5.0 Mustang roar.......I am unsure if installing the same sized Mustang performance muffler will give it the sound I am looking for unless maybe headers are installed..........what do you guys think?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I hear what you are saying regarding the Mustang "muscle car" sound. I like the sound as well. But, let's face it, we don't have an American Muscle Car. We have an Ultra High-End (Performance) German BMW:haha: . I went with the Tubi and absolutely love it. High-pitched, exotic, rumble. Let's see a Mustang sound like my M5!

When I'm ready to get the American Muscle Car sound I will plunk down $5k and buy me a 'stang.........

Rob

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Why would you want it to sound like a mustang?

Granted that because of the layout and displacment of the engine it will sound a good bit like a mustang. I dont thint alot of people have put on magnaflow or flowmasters because they dont like the idea of putting on a 300 exhaust system.

My only concern with doing such a setup would be the resonance that you would get. The B&B's have a very similar internal construction and casing measuments and when combined with the SS Xpipe, will scramble your brain with resonance. The dinans are even worse..

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1badm5 said:
I hear what you are saying regarding the Mustang "muscle car" sound. I like the sound as well. But, let's face it, we don't have an American Muscle Car. We have an Ultra High-End (Performance) German BMW:haha: . I went with the Tubi and absolutely love it. High-pitched, exotic, rumble. Let's see a Mustang sound like my M5!

When I'm ready to get the American Muscle Car sound I will plunk down $5k and buy me a 'stang.........
it goes the same way....why do you want your german car to sound like an Italian Ferrari or Lambo? If I was to choose the Kelleners or Remus sound best since I hate Ferrari's ;) .......but I beleive the Dynomax super turbo's will result in a serious bad-*** sound(not too loud).......and it wouldn't be a costly mistake to replace...

2000 BMW M5 Avus Blue/Blk. K&N, Royal Purple Racing 51, RP Synchromax, RP Gear-MAX, Redesigned SPEC Billet Stg1 Racing Clutch kit, Lightened Dual Mass flywheel, Rogue Tranny mounts, S03's, ATE Super Blue, Redline WaterWetter, Blinder M20, BEL RX65, 6% SolarGard Titanium, XM, 12inch Rockford Fosgate Sub, PIAA fogs, Invinca-Shield.com
1991 PORSCHE 911 TURBO Blk/Blk. RUF MODIFIED 375RWHP+ 75HP NOS. 200+MPH Street/Race car. K&N, Garettson Intercooler, KKK K29 Turbo, HKS AIC with 7th injector, Full RUF racing coilover suspension, RUF sway bars, SC CAM, DIFF upgrade, B&B headers and muffler, GT2 Adjustable Wing, 3.3L upgraded to 3.5L, Roll Cage, Alpine V12 upgraded sound system, Royal Purple Racing 51 oil, Boost and air/fuel gauges, Big Red Break upgrade, Crossed drilled rotors, Tiresmart, fire extinguisher, 5 point racing harness, Stage 2 HID, no CAT, 18inch RUF Polished Rims, S03's. Obtained fastest lap times in the 90's driven by Al Unser Jr....
1988 VW Jetta Rare "Slalom" Edition wht/gray. K&N, NEUSPEED suspension, MOMO steering/shifter, Euro GTI headlights and bumpers.
2004 VOLVO XC90 AWD 2.5 TURBO wht/blk. K&N
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
true...

i want my car to sound loud and viscious...and since the kelleners is the loudest of the bunch and when combined with headers, huge cats, xpipe and the mufflers it just so happens to have some modular 4.6 sound to it, i guess thats just somethign that im going to have to live with...but after hearing BMWUSA (josh) drive my car the other day, i can say that it sounds a bit like a mustang but its way different though

·
Registered
225 Posts
I didn't mention I was trying to get an Italian Ferrari or Lambo sound. What I said was "we don't have an American Muscle Car. We have an Ultra High-End (Performance) German BMW:haha: .". What I did mention is that I am NOT trying to get an American Muscle Car sound. Hey, it's your car, if you want it to sound like a 'stang, ...go for it! Especially since you don't like the Exotic's (Ferrari).
Robert
marcvip said:
it goes the same way....why do you want your german car to sound like an Italian Ferrari or Lambo? If I was to choose the Kelleners or Remus sound best since I hate Ferrari's ;) .......but I beleive the Dynomax super turbo's will result in a serious bad-*** sound(not too loud).......and it wouldn't be a costly mistake to replace...

2000 BMW M5 Avus Blue/Blk. K&N, Royal Purple Racing 51, RP Synchromax, RP Gear-MAX, Redesigned SPEC Billet Stg1 Racing Clutch kit, Lightened Dual Mass flywheel, Rogue Tranny mounts, S03's, ATE Super Blue, Redline WaterWetter, Blinder M20, BEL RX65, 6% SolarGard Titanium, XM, 12inch Rockford Fosgate Sub, PIAA fogs, Invinca-Shield.com
1991 PORSCHE 911 TURBO Blk/Blk. RUF MODIFIED 375RWHP+ 75HP NOS. 200+MPH Street/Race car. K&N, Garettson Intercooler, KKK K29 Turbo, HKS AIC with 7th injector, Full RUF racing coilover suspension, RUF sway bars, SC CAM, DIFF upgrade, B&B headers and muffler, GT2 Adjustable Wing, 3.3L upgraded to 3.5L, Roll Cage, Alpine V12 upgraded sound system, Royal Purple Racing 51 oil, Boost and air/fuel gauges, Big Red Break upgrade, Crossed drilled rotors, Tiresmart, fire extinguisher, 5 point racing harness, Stage 2 HID, no CAT, 18inch RUF Polished Rims, S03's. Obtained fastest lap times in the 90's driven by Al Unser Jr....
1988 VW Jetta Rare "Slalom" Edition wht/gray. K&N, NEUSPEED suspension, MOMO steering/shifter, Euro GTI headlights and bumpers.
2004 VOLVO XC90 AWD 2.5 TURBO wht/blk. K&N
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1badm5 said:
I didn't mention I was trying to get an Italian Ferrari or Lambo sound. What I said was "we don't have an American Muscle Car. We have an Ultra High-End (Performance) German BMW:haha: .". What I did mention is that I am NOT trying to get an American Muscle Car sound. Hey, it's your car, if you want it to sound like a 'stang, ...go for it! Especially since you don't like the Exotic's (Ferrari).
Robert
Tubi's are OEM mufflers for Ferrari thus you will see a sound resemblance.......what I am saying is that the Tubi's don't emit the viscious roar I am looking for.....the Kelleners come darn close.....since the M5 engine resembles closely to a muscle car's displacement....a muscle car muffler might sound very good.....

I love exotics but I hate Ferrari's since I smoke them all the time with my Porsche C2 Turbo...no chance.......but I respect the Lamborghini's V12 ....awesome machine and probably my next car! (I'll leave the Tubi's on that one :cool: )

·
10,455 Posts
it's funny, when i put the supersprint x pipe and mufflers on, i thought my car had a very american musclecar sound. I gave some old high school buddies a ride, we had (and they still do have) american muscle cars back in our hs days. They're respones "wow, that sounds so exotic..." hmm, depends on your perspective i guess. FWIW, i do not think installing an american exhaust system will make your car sound like an american muscle car, very different engine from my M5 to my pontiac gto, or to my mustang 5.0 gt that i had.
Mike

·
Registered
252 Posts
My muffler guy told me that you can never get that deep down musclecar growl unless you switch all of the tubing to larger diameter stuff. Not sure if he was trying to make an "upsell", but if true, that theory would make sense with what's being said here on the board.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think you should do it, get some flowmasters get it done and lets hear how it sounds, if you dont like it sell the cans on ebay and chock it up as an experiment, I dont know about you but, I have certainly blown money on much less productive things, JMO, Josh

P.S. Come on be a trend setter, break away from the norm

B

·
0 Posts
The Mustang GT from '95 with the Flowmaster 2-chamber exhaust, is one of the best sounding deep V8's ever, period! For a very different sound, but also wonderful, the Tubi on an F355 is great.

I would try to add some flowmasters (2 chamber) just for fun to see how it sounds. Maybe also add an SS X-pipe.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Here in Michigan, I go to the Muscle car meets on the weekends. Everything from 7 sec cars to showcars. These guys are serious about there muscle. Anyway, they always have me do burnouts and fast drive by's because they say that my car is the BEST sounding car they ever heard. :cool:

My set up is SS headers, SS race cats, SS x-pipe, Kelleners race cans.
I would NEVER want it to sound like a F150 with flow masters. :nono:
There are way to many of those around. Just my opinion.

josh.

B

·
0 Posts
phillym5 said:
Here in Michigan, I go to the Muscle car meets on the weekends. Everything from 7 sec cars to showcars. These guys are serious about there muscle. Anyway, they always have me do burnouts and fast drive by's because they say that my car is the BEST sounding car they ever heard. :cool:

My set up is SS headers, SS race cats, SS x-pipe, Kelleners race cans.
I would NEVER want it to sound like a F150 with flow masters. :nono:
There are way to many of those around. Just my opinion.

josh.
I am sure your exhaust set-up sounds great, but the 'stang GT with a Flowmaster is something that many, including me, find to be one of the best sounding exhausts.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
BeastPower said:
I am sure your exhaust set-up sounds great, but the 'stang GT with a Flowmaster is something that many, including me, find to be one of the best sounding exhausts.
Daniel....that is why I will try it on my M5........I also love the Dynomax super turbos...........I had a modified 5.0L GT already so I know first hand....

<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just wondering if you have got that custom exhaust installed yet, I got a new exhaust and it just reminded me that you had undergone this project, and I was just checkin in to see how it worked out? Josh

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to hear an M5 w/ big pipes and big american mufflers. I don't think it will sound like an american V8, but I love a deep throaty exhaust. My favorite is the old marine V8's on chris-crafts and centuries. They are usually 8-into-2-into-1 and make a wonderful sound, punctuated by spitting out cooling water at idle.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.