BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car had bank one and bank two intake vanos faults. When I ran the applicable vanos adjusting test plan it stated that all 4 adjusting units failed to meet specified limits. -- not likely that all 4 adjusting units or vanos solenoids were bad. Was the oil pump or the line, dropped the pan, removed both oil pumps and hooked up the nitrogen to the high pressure line. Found this. Unfortunately this isn't all that uncommon on higher mile cars. Hopefully not you guys! Any questions, just ask.

Thanks

J

Video - Bmw v10 s85 vanos faults.: Bmw v10 s85 vanos faults. - YouTube

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Very informative. Looks like we should replace this hose if we drop the oil pan for bearings. Mine are up this spring.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Very informative. Looks like we should replace this hose if we drop the oil pan for bearings. Mine are up this spring.
Absolutely. Labor to parts ratio is at least 10:1 on this.

If you note in the video, the leak occurs at the transision from the flexible steel braided portion into the hard piping. When you bolt up the hard pipe to the VANOS pump, the flex portion is "sprung" as if the hard pipe should have an additional bend in it. This places a strain on the flexible portion. It appears in your video that the leak actually occurs 90 degrees off (towards the front) from the inside radius of the kink. This is most likely due to the "flare" that happens in the hose as you bend it and possibly chafing the stainless braid.

Seems like a really easy fix to add an additional slight bend (like maybe 10-15 degrees) in the hard piped portion that might eliminate this forever, but when I did mine, I just threw it in there like anyone else.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jcolley is right, if you're doing bearings for sure do this hose. Its like $160 and won't require much more tear down to get it done. This hose had been leaking for quite some time. Months actually. Just finally gave out. And yes, a slight kink in the line would certainly help this issue. My car is 12k miles away from me doing the bearings, I'll be doing this hose then.

Thanks,

J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts