BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Sterling Grey 2003 BMW M5, Alpine White 2006 E60 M5
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... I have a 2006 E60 M5.

Every once in a while, about every two weeks, I'll get a combination of errors that all come at the same time or in a row one after another, the suspension tightens as it seems to go into a default limp stiff mode and all the errors appear. Shut down and restart clears them and I'm back to normal.... I'd think a common sensor is causing all of these messages to pop up, anyone seen this before and solved it?

Thanks guys.
Jennifer

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How "fresh" is your battery?
These cars are hyper sensitive to battery levels...

Good luck.
Don't I know it... when I first bought the car I was getting SMG cog of death messages till I found out they'd put a lead acid in when it was still set for AGM, put a new battery in and it's freshly charged.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the connectors for the EDC on the shock tops and get the car scanned for fault codes.
Thanks Hasan, I've cleared the codes several times since the last event so I'll wait till the next occurance and pull them again. I'll take a look at those connectors as well.

Cheers
Jennifer

·
Registered
113 Posts
My guess is wheel speed sensor aka abs sensor.

That sensor is needed for:

Flat tyre monitor (measures wheel rotations)
DSC (difference in wheel speed from front to rear)
ABS obviously
Hill start assist

Not sure how it's used for edc but it could be part of the same harness.

The wheel speed sensors can get damaged (usually wiring or connector issue).

Given it's intermittent I'm guessing wiring is damaged or maybe shorting. Get under the car and check all the wheel speed sensor and their connectors and wiring. Look for any damaged wiring insulation.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My guess is wheel speed sensor aka abs sensor.

That sensor is needed for:

Flat tyre monitor (measures wheel rotations)
DSC (difference in wheel speed from front to rear)
ABS obviously
Hill start assist

Not sure how it's used for edc but it could be part of the same harness.

The wheel speed sensors can get damaged (usually wiring or connector issue).

Given it's intermittent I'm guessing wiring is damaged or maybe shorting. Get under the car and check all the wheel speed sensor and their connectors and wiring. Look for any damaged wiring insulation.

THIS.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Just saw this thread... I had all of the same errors and it was a wheel speed sensor.
Inexpensive easy fix.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It could also be the steering angle sensor, pretty common on these cars and it makes the DSC module really unhappy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It could also be the steering angle sensor, pretty common on these cars and it makes the DSC module really unhappy.
Thank you, I pulled codes and had a code for both the abs sensor and angle but I thought the angle was under the transmission section so it may be a different one... I'll do the speed sensor first, it looks a lot cheaper..haha

Thank you pmali and others.
Jen

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thank you, I pulled codes and had a code for both the abs sensor and angle but I thought the angle was under the transmission section so it may be a different one... I'll do the speed sensor first, it looks a lot cheaper..haha

Thank you pmali and others.
Jen
There's a DIY for cleaning the steering angle sensor thingy, it's right behind the steering wheel. My wife would randomly get DSC codes on her smg, cleaning the little optical wheel on the angle sensor fixed that.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...192-steering-angle-sensor-diy-fix-worked.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same issue. I changed what Ista was telling me the rear right sensor. No change!
Finally that was one phase of the alternator which was faulty. But the other clue was the battery was not filling itself properly when driving. Had to refill it too often.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you all for all the help. I ended up replacing (myself) the right rear wheel speed sensor and that code, read via Carly went away) and a week later I got the same string of errors so figured I'd have to clean the optical steering wheel angle disk inside as others have done. I ordered the BMW repair kit which includes the plastic reflective block, took it apart today, found it had a mild coating of gunk, cleaned it up using some plastic polish, put it all together, cleared the codes and so far so good. While I had the wheel off I figured I might as well replace the lower trim on the steering wheel (the part with the M logo) as it had wear in the usual spots so I ordered a carbon fiber trim piece and put that on at the same time, everything looks good.

I just had a local indy shop order the BE bearings and a set of new ARP bolts and when they get in, the same shop, here in Scottsdale, will be putting those in and also throwing the ESS SMG tune into the car. I bought the car with 118,000 and it's at 121,000 and they've never been done, I figure my luck will run out soon so better get it done.

PS: And yes, I've seen the posts saying the ESS SMG is no different than the Euro SMG tune we can install for free but I believe in supporting a local shop and plan to do more work with them so don't mind paying for the ESS SMG tune and save the risk of bricking my transmission to instal the Euro tune myself. I don't care about the launch control, I like my SMG clutches too much, I just hope it will give me a bit sharper shift points is all I hope for.

Thanks again all.
Jennifer

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts