BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
So what caused the problem? Broken valve spring cause the valve to hit the piston and bend the valve? If that's the only issue, the engine is rebuildable. Just pull the cylinder head, replace the bent valve and reassemble. I've fixed one exactly like that at work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Oh wow mike2260...that really sucks man...I feel your pain trust me. My car has been out of commission for well over 6 months now. I performed my compression test last week when I got back. All the cylinders showed between 120-150 on the misfiring bank thankfully. So this is the weird part though, I went to look at my spark plugs on the whole bank 2, and all of them except number 9 was dirty. Number 9 still looked brand new. So I then took out each coil one by one and tested that spark plug against a ground surface and it fired perfectly fine. When I ran a volt meter on the plug they were all getting 11.8 volts. So....I am once again lost....nothing is left outside the fuel filter or the pump. I am towing it to a BMW custom tune shop this week so they can do some in depth analysis because they are very familiar with this issue on this car. I will let you guys know what it could be.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So I have thoroughly managed to stump my custom bmw indy shop with what could be wrong..."you did everything we would have done..."

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I have thoroughly managed to stump my custom bmw indy shop with what could be wrong..."you did everything we would have done..."
I'm sorry to hear that mate. I just got my 06 M6 and it gave me Increased Emissions last night. my friends OBD showed something about Misfired Cylinders. already made an appt. for Monday at the dealer so I'll see whats going on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So here is an update as of today.

The indy shop said they can't pull up any codes and re-married the battery a few times after putting it on a tender all night. So the battery is ruled out. They didn't get codes for the secondary air pump but they think that is leading to improper readings or clogged cats but there is no way to know without throwing parts in there and checking it out.

So then I decide to take it to the dealer instead because they were running a special for a free diagnostic. Paid the tow truck again which sucked. They hooked it up to the computer and the only code they got was the camshaft sensor in/out on all 4. They wanted to fix it for $1400. I told them to check the cats while they were there to see if they were clogged but they said those were fine. So now I am going to pick up the car and change all 4 camshaft sensors for a few hundred rather than $1400. It is nuts how expensive the dealer is for something relatively simple to change. I just hope this will be the itme that fixes it all....I will keep the board updated...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
still nothing

My car has been sitting in the garage for months now. I am still stumped. What are the chances the cam and crank sensors could possibly be bad but not throw an error? Also this goes for the MAF's.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Fuel filter did not do anything. Car is still sitting in the garage. Worst part about all this, I tried to trade the car in and the dealer would only give me 16k for the car. I am sick about this situation to say the least. I have changed everything but Secondary Air.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You swapped ionic modules and cleared the problem for a short time... Did you inspect the wiring harness carefully for pinched wires, bent, or corroded pins, bad grounds?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I re-read the whole thread again and your compression readings seem low and inconsistent. What were the readings on the "good" bank?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I wish I remembered wingnut, it was a while ago. They all were within 10 of each other though. Nothing to warrant a full cylinder failure. Mind you the whole bank fails now.

·
Registered
464 Posts
In the absence of other failures, you need to start considering a mechanical issue. A leakdown test would be next on my list.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful, but my car has the same problem but is thankfully still under warranty. The first thing BMW tried was replacing the VANOS inlet valve. I read my codes with INPA and had the same misfires, cylinders 6-10. I read through the thread and it seems like you haven't done too much on the VANOS side of things, so may be worth a try - particularly as that is the first thing BMW UK went to with the same symptoms. Hope that helps in some way.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
15 Participants
5V5M
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing