BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed out the throttle actuators for the car since it kept starting up in limp mode. After working about two times, the car went back to limp mode. I plugged up the code reader and received multiple cylinder misfire codes. Specifically P306,307,308,309,310. Also received the P300 code. Anyone have any ideas why a whole bank on the engine would go out? I have not changed the plugs or coils in ages. But do you all think that the issue is with the spark plugs and coils on a whole bank 2? Any input would be appreciated. I am about two seconds away from trading the beast in unfortunately. I am crossing my fingers that it is not a VANOS issue.

On another note, do you all think the dealer would not knock me on the trade if I take it to them with the check engine light on?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Swap Ionic Current modules from bank 1 and 2 and see if errors move. Are there any other codes beside those? Usually something else will appear with the misfires indicating the cause. Off the cuff, are you certain the plenum on bank 2 is seated properly? If not, air can be sucked in around the throttle bodies and not be read by the MAFs, causing a lean condition and possible misfire detection.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm...I have not swapped the ionic units yet...I will try that today. I did receive a Bank1 system too lean message. And a Bank 2 system too rich P0171 and P0175 fault. Those went away when I cleared the messages though and did not come back. Would I get limp mode when the air boxes are out too though? Would you recommend cleaning the MAF sensor? I really appreciate all the help you are providing jcolley.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jColley you gave the best advice on those ionic current control units. I swapped them and magically all the faults went away. Now I have an actuator problem still P210A. So I am working on fixing those. Thanks again!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My issue is back. Banks 6-10 misfire. Sometimes bank 4. It literally moves around as it pleases. I bought a new ionic controller and changed spark plugs. Swapped ignition coils. I cleaned MAF sensors with cleaner. I am out of ideas. Please someone help I am frustrated.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just a thought... check fuel pressure and look for rapid decay after shutdown, this usually indicates leaking injectors. If so, you'll probably have sooty plugs too.

T

·
0 Posts
Do a Vanos test. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1414462618.558269.jpg

Got this on an engine with 79k miles on it. Was not even in limp mode until after I did this Vanos bleed...lol. Then we changed the engine because the Vanos pump had failed

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I do not have a BMW diagnostic computer for detailed information for the VANOS. I just have my bluetooth that gives me everything else. I already replaced one ICC module and swapped it to another side and the problem followed. I had another ICC unit sitting around that might or might not work but the problem was still there. I ordered a new ICC unit for the other side now and hoping that alleviates it, should be here next week. I just thought, what are the chances that both would have failed. When I took the old plugs out they were very worn so it could have just been a huge coincidence. Have my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help guys. I will check back in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I have attached a video of what is going on. I am getting a multiple cylinder misfire on 6-10 now. I have installed a new ionic current controller on this side as well. Still no luck. http://youtu.be/Q_fMziykCB4

I am so frustrated now. I checked all the connections.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also most of the time when I turn the ignition right on it stutters and turns right off. If I hold down the gas pedal it is fine...then after a few seconds all the errors show up and reduced engine power.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Usually there is some error code stored along with the cylinder misfire codes. What is the car showing now, can you read them?

Check Euautohaus.com and get a cable/software set. You will save yourself massive time, headache and money if you can let the car talk to you.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
P0300, p0306, p0307,p0308,p0309,p0310
Those are the OBD II compliant codes that are shown to any reader for Cyl. 6-10 misfiring as well as the general "multiple cylinders misfiring" code, but I'm willing to bet that BMW diagnostic software will show more codes than that which will help isolate the problem.

OBD II regulations require ECUs to communicate a specific minimum of information, but most manufacturers have additional extended proprietary info for diagnostics as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much. I just ordered my cable and software. Unfortunately won't arrive for a week or so. Thanks for all the help guys. I will check back in asap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It also sounds like it is sputtering when pushing the gas pedal...if that provides any clues...? anyone?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you all say to a burning smell coming from the engine as well for the CEL? Leaking oil filler cap that would cause a CEL? Sorry throwing things out while they come to my head.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Usually there is some error code stored along with the cylinder misfire codes. What is the car showing now, can you read them?

Check Euautohaus.com and get a cable/software set. You will save yourself massive time, headache and money if you can let the car talk to you.

Jcolley I'm very curious as to which cable set you would recommend for basic diagnostics? Also curious if these programs will allow for registering new batteries and smg adaptation? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

Okay I have an update...I went ahead and got my code reader working on DIS/GT1. All the vanos tests and other tests turned out fine. I got more detailed codes though. I have attached pictures so you guys can see. Codes are:

2B3A,B,C,E
2B41,7,8,9
2B4A,B,D,E
27C1

So I decided to do a fuel injection test. That is where the anomaly is visible. Consistently Cylinder 9 shows 0.0 for the test while all the other cylinders show 2.5-2.6. But then it does something weird, that 0.0 jumps to cylinder 7 or 8. Then sometimes cylinders 6-10 all show 0.0 til I turn the car off and on again. The ICC on that side is brand new from BMW as well. I have changed the spark plugs all brand new. What could it possibly be? Here are the images.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
It's hard to tell if the DME is shutting the injectors down with the bank because of the fault or if a wiring/DME problem is causing an injector to stutter and that causes the misfire.

What's the tank fault?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
15 Participants
5V5M
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing