BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hoping to get some thoughts on 2 issues. I bought my sapphire black 2008 M6 Conv 6 spd manual about a year ago with 42k miles on it. Car was near flawless and had been through a full service. Drove it home 7 hours with no issues. During storage over the winter the trickle charger died and so did my battery. Was able to jump start it and drive fine after. But a couple of weeks ago I started getting a DSC failure after driving for 10-20 minutes, and the car would go into heavy steering mode. Now I am getting an increased emissions light. Any thoughts on what to check on either? I'm mechanical but haven't yet invested in any code readers.

Also, any good independent shops in the Southern NH or North of Boston area? Seen a few posts on DSC repair costs that are scary...

Thanks - Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, battery was bad. Dealer cost....$640. After that they discovered spikes in the alternator. Alternator cost installed $1,200, just the voltage regulator installed cost $750. Not sure that I will keep this car more than a few years, and one been through this any have comments on doing just the regulator?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yup, battery was bad. Dealer cost....$640. After that they discovered spikes in the alternator. Alternator cost installed $1,200, just the voltage regulator installed cost $750. Not sure that I will keep this car more than a few years, and one been through this any have comments on doing just the regulator?
Don't know if you want to hear this but searching the board allowed me to change my battery for less than $200 and did the voltage regulator for around $400 at my indy. If you go to the dealer for everything, you will pay a lot more than you should. These cars are worth keeping but you need to do the research or they are incredible money pits. To be fair, they are pretty expensive even IF you do the research.

Sorry,

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sorry, didn't actually answer your question. That was two years ago and I just replaced the voltage regulator and no issues in that area since.

I think there are some ways to test the alternator to make sure it hasn't gone bad as well but the voltage spikes are usual related to the regulator in these cars.

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the suggestions and help. Alternator replacement underway (at an Indy shop for much less). Looking forward to getting back behind the wheel Tuesday.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
@Grogs, next time you have an issue, shoot me an email. I'm near Kittery about an hour north of Boston and I'm a little bit familiar with the S85. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know, Jim. I'm out in Rye frequently in the warm weather, love to stop up to your shop sometime. Thanks - Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts