BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my problem is as follows. My car was in the bodyshop a couple of weeks back to having the wood interior parts painted, I removed my Multi Information Display and cassette player unit to get the cage out so I could paint the door for the tape player, very happy with the results however when I put everything back together I had absolutely nothing on my MID, completely blank :( also when I turned the radio on I had sound only for around 30 seconds before it died completely. Because I was going on a long journey, as a temporary measure I got and old Sony head unit that I had in my shed and got a wiring adaptor and fitted it, audio wise it worked perfectly but still no Multi Information Display.

I have tried replacing my tape player with a known working standard BMW business exactly the same as mine, did the same thing, no MID, sound for 30 seconds then died. Does anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong, mechanics and bodywork I am fairly strong at however anything electrical / audio I am totally useless at, any help would be greatly apprieciated :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting, the most useful bit of info so far, mine doesn't the optional audio however this may work all the same. An early start in the morning for me and I'm going to give it a bash :)
I will post the outcome :1:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I tried to do this withe BOTH units and unfortunately it didn't work :(
Even tried to "hop on your left foot 2 times with your right eye shut while spitting chewing tobacco in a Folgers can" however this also had no effect :)

For reference the each time I disconnected the battery the sound came back but no display at all, other than that, no matter how many times you turn the ignition / radio off and on there is NO sound, it dies, timed at 22 seconds on both occasions (not 30 secs as previously said by me).

Only one thing I couldn't do on the list was to remove fuse number 7 because I don't have one.

Anyone else have ny ideas?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Maybe PM DouglasABaker and see if he has any inputs? He has pretty good experience here, as I recall

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
This may be a bit of a long shot, but, I had a similar sounding issue after a botched firmware update on my MK-III navigation (high). Which navigation computer does your car have? If you have a Mk-III you may want to downgrade your firmware. It fixed my issue. I hope that this is of assistance and that you get this sorted. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I'm reviving this thread because I still haven't got anywhere with this problem, to recap I don't have ANY sound at all and Nothing on my Multi-Info Display, I don't have nav or DSP fitted to my car it just has the standard tape player and radio with Alpine amp in the boot.
Firstly I had no display and the sound disappeared after 22 seconds, I fitted a run of the mill Pioneer head unit which looked awful but had sound for a couple of weeks, then the that went as well. Up to now I have checked all the fuses, changed both the head unit and MID for known working ones, and changed the ignition switch for a new one, still the same. Does anyone have any ideas, really doing my head in!!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
So with the stock system (dash mounted radio and trunk mounted amp) you had sound for 22 seconds then it went out.

You replaced the radio and amp with an aftermarket all in one Pioneer unit, and had sound for a couple weeks, and now that unit doesn't work either? What wiring from the car did you use, and what are the symptoms of the Pioneer? Does it turn on? Do any sources play?

Doug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Doug thanks for the reply, really appreciate your input.

Yes when the problem started my stock system used to provide sound but only for 22 seconds (found this out because used to get sound again after disconnecting/reconnecting battery after about 5 minutes) for reference all of the time I have no display whatsoever on my MID unit. Replaced head unit with Pioneer and standard wiring adapter harness which worked perfectly but looked awful. All of sudden I have no sound at all from any source on the Pioneer (but everything on the unit worked) so decided to put standard OEM head unit back in and try to get to the bottom of the problem. For reference I have changed both the OEM head unit and MID for known working ones and the same symptoms occur - no sound, no display. I have yet to replace the Amp (Factory Alpine type, left hand side of the boot behind panel).

I may just try to replace the Amp and see what happens but before I do I wonder if you could answer me a couple of things if you know, please forgive me for sounding a bit needy but greasy parts are my stronger point and i'm completely useless when it comes to electrical.

1. Does the amp have any bearing at all on powering the MID?, if not what does, could I be looking at a separate issue?

2. If the amp is at fault I wonder why it worked fine on the Pioneer, or was it a case the it didn't use the amp in the boot it just used it's own
power from the unit?

Again I really appreciate any input at all, many thanks, Vince.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'm going to need more specifics on exactly what your setups looked like in terms of all components to be able to provide any real help. Are you saying you hooked the Pioneer up to the stock amplifier? Which stock amplifier do you have? DSP or non? Do you have a radio module in the trunk or is it integral in the MID?

This sounds to me like an issue with the amplifier. I don't have a MID, but I would imagine the MID and the Nav work effectively the same way - if they don't receive a signal back from the amplifier then they don't turn on, although that is usually just sound, not sound and display.

d-

·
1,928 Posts
Vince, which radio do you have? There are two flavours, but it's easier if you have the older (round pin) type because I have a spare outside the car.

I'm away for a couple of days, but if you want to pop over say next Saturday then if you've still got the problem we can try my known good radio unit and amp and see what makes it go away... I don't have DSP either so we should be able to do (just about) like for like...

Cheers,

Simon

Reactions: M5 VOB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Doug, setup is as follows.

Standard BMW Business Tape head unit up front (same as pictured, no part number at all on unit)

Multi-Information Display, High I believe (pictured when working).

CD Changer and Alpine Amplifier (NON DSP) in left hand side of boot / trunk (Part number is 65.12-8 371 025)

I hooked the Pioneer up to the standard wiring loom with an adaptor, whether it still utilized the amp from the back I don't know or whether it used the internal head unit amp is unclear, judging that the sound has completely died on the Pioneer as well suggests that it's the former? Not sure. I don't see any radio module in the trunk so must be internal with MID unless it's hidden away somewhere?

Many thanks again, Vince.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vince, which radio do you have? There are two flavours, but it's easier if you have the older (round pin) type because I have a spare outside the car.

I'm away for a couple of days, but if you want to pop over say next Saturday then if you've still got the problem we can try my known good radio unit and amp and see what makes it go away... I don't have DSP either so we should be able to do (just about) like for like...

Cheers,

Simon
Hi Simon, head unit is old round pin jobbie, that sounds like a really good plan however the only thing is that I work Saturday's so a Sunday would be better, if that doesn't work maybe evening or something, whatever suits.
Would really appreciate it, whereabouts on Kent/Surrey border are you?

Thanks, Vince.

·
1,928 Posts
Hi Vince,

Between Croydon and Bromley.

Sunday is fine, but it won't exactly be like for like as I have satnav. Close enough to isolate the problem though, I should think...

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hey Vince -

I'm not ignoring you - I just can't come up with anything. I've been racking my brain for the last several days trying to come up with a common connection amongst the components that would explain your symptoms, and I just can't.

If it helps, there are only a couple connections between the components - the iBus (all internal communications between the audio components), the ground wire, and the power. Your symptoms include devices with partial turn-on (audio, no lights), random turn-off (sound suddenly stops), and also exist across aftermarket components (Pioneer headunit).

Assuming I have again re-stated everything correctly, my suggestions are as follows in order of increasing cost of diagnosis (although reverse order in terms of time) - you could perform these in either order:
1. Verify the head unit: Wire the Pioneer headunit directly to a set of speakers. I don't care if they are the car speakers or just a pair of home speakers that are sitting in your backseat - just make sure they are attached directly to the headunit, not through the factory amplifier. If it works, we've determined the problem is with your amp / wiring.
2. Verify your ground and power: Run a new power wire and a new ground from the battery to all affected components. This is required for most aftermarket components (all amplifiers + many high power head unit) since they draw too much amperage for the factory wiring. You may be suffering from either a broken/inconsistent ground. If this resolves the problem we've determined you have a broken wiring harness.
3. Replace the factory amplifier: Pretty self explanatory.

It should be noted that the iBus is what controls all the media components in the vehicle. I don't know for certain about the specific components you have, but in other vehicles the amplifier will turn itself off if it does not receive an appropriate communication on the iBus. Specifically, it expects the MID (or corresponding component) to tell it to turn on and to stay on. If it doesn't get that, it turns off. Assuming you removed the MID when you installed the Pioneer that could explain why the Pioneer lost sound, but it should reset itself every time the car is turned off. It also does not explain why your MID would lose display but not sound.

My final thought - have you checked your battery voltage? Strange happenings can sometimes be attributed to a low voltage situation. You should have about 12.3V or so when the vehicle is off.

d-

·
1,928 Posts
Hmmm. Battery voltage. It sounds bizarre, but it does some mighty weird things when the battery tails off.

SB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts