BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not 100 percent sure but I think any reputable muffler shop would be able to do it. All they are doing is cutting out the mufflers and welding in new pipes to fill the gaps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks .. will definatly look into the cut outs... I am assuming that you have these on your car... i have one question.. when the cutouts are open, do they close off the path mufflers

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Does anyone know where i can get my muffler deleted in the NYc/bx/ lower westchester area?

Any muffler shop can do it. Just do a search on the forum for a photo another delete and take it with you. I believe there are a couple step-by-steps with photos.
It is not rocket science... just cutting and welding.
With this said, I strongly suggest the QTPs. Besides being able to go from quiet to loud and back at the press of a button, you can also ensure that you can pass future emissions checks.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
thanks .. will definatly look into the cut outs... I am assuming that you have these on your car... i have one question.. when the cutouts are open, do they close off the path mufflers

Cutouts do not completely close off the path to the mufflers. You would need a diverter to do that.
A diverter completely blocks off the exhaust system's flow to divert it through and out its own openings. A cut out provides an alternate (but large and early in the flow) path for the exhaust but some exhaust will continue down and out the tail pipes. My exhaust with the cutouts fully open still flow (I am guessing) about 10-15 % through the tail pipes.
the diverters I looked at were much more expensive than the QTPs.
One argument I heard is that fluid dynamics states the exhaust gas will always flow out of the path of least resistance, thus traditional exhaust cutouts will perform as well as exhaust diverters, which force the exhaust gases out of the supposed lower restriction path.
Depending on the layout, a diverter can be better as it is allowing all of the exhaust gas to dump out at one point, but it can also cause a slight restriction based on the tubing setup. With a stock setup on my 06 Beast, I couldn't find any empirical evidence leading me to believe that a diverter would provide any benefit over a cutout.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
skills.... thank you.... 1 more question.... How does it sound
awesome... there are plenty of sound clips from others but there is no way to do it justice without hearing it in person.
Again... I can't stress how useful and cool it is to be able to go back to stock at the press of a button.

A regular muffler delete can be done for about $150.
The QTPs installed will run you 4 times that number.
Easily worth it to me if you have to worry about emissions, need peace and quite for a phone call or prefer less attention at times.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Besides being able to go from quiet to loud and back at the press of a button, you can also ensure that you can pass future emissions checks.[/quote]

I am guessing you are talking about noise emissions correct?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm contemplating a shift to aftermarket mufflers and may throw cut-outs in for fun. When looking at the cost of the exhaust work, adding that would not be that big of a deal. My goal is to get a better sound without the volume of muffler delete but have the button for when I'm feeling a little spunky.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Besides being able to go from quiet to loud and back at the press of a button, you can also ensure that you can pass future emissions checks.
I am guessing you are talking about noise emissions correct?[/quote]

Let me put it this way... If your call will pass emissions without cutouts, it will pass with them. Just close them up before you take the test and you are back to stock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
heres a quick vid of my car with mufflers and resonator deleted.

...and one just cruising...
man that sounds amazing. i currently have a res delete and its just still too quiet for me. is there any annoying drone with the muffler and res delete? how loud on a scale of 1-10 would you say it is ?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think it'd depend if your state/city uses ODB output vs the exhaust sniffer. Here in St. Louis, MO only older cars get the sniffer and I don't think our cars have sensors down the exhaust that far to trip any detection of a muffler delete so ODB will still give the green light.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
122 Posts
man that sounds amazing. i currently have a res delete and its just still too quiet for me. is there any annoying drone with the muffler and res delete? how loud on a scale of 1-10 would you say it is ?
I get no drone at all unless passing through tunnels or parking garages...just glorious engine music!!....at light throttle and low rpm its about a 2-3 on loudness(stock being a 1)....wide open I would say a 5-6....not too loud at all if you ask me....I havent had one person comment at all on loudness.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My E-race gets me attention from people all the time...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts