BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a few videos on youtube where people have completely removed the mufflers on an e60 m5 and ran straight pipes...sounds awesome. Anyone on here done this? Interested on sound review, in person feedback, etc...

I figure I can cut them off for free and if it doesn't sound good I can have a muffler shop weld them back on for <$50.

Also, I am running straight section 1 and section 2 already, so it would be straight pipes from the primary cats on the headers.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
LOL, I'm sure more than 50% of members here have done this!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Came across a few videos on youtube where people have completely removed the mufflers on an e60 m5 and ran straight pipes...sounds awesome. Anyone on here done this? Interested on sound review, in person feedback, etc...

I figure I can cut them off for free and if it doesn't sound good I can have a muffler shop weld them back on for <$50.

Also, I am running straight section 1 and section 2 already, so it would be straight pipes from the primary cats on the headers.
Do u want a REALLY loud exhaust? them do that...i did on my e46 m3 and could kept on the car for a week...it is was so loud that my neighbor asked me if i need help "fixing my exhaust".

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search for threads on this topic and came back with nothing. Anyway, cut the pipe tonight and need to remove the mufflers tomorrow. Will post videos to youtube for reference.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well the final verdict is I am VERY happy with the way it turned out. What I decided to do is just cut the pipe and separate the muffler from the pipe about 1/2", leaving the mufflers in place to still collect some of the exhaust. The result is a very nice sound that, I'll admit, is slightly loud at first. Once the car is warm and moving, it is near perfect. All in all, I am out about $100 total to remove the secondary cats and resonator. I left the stock x-pipe in.

Here's the first video. I will get a few fly by's and rolling starts soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?<wbr>v=7wi4njLsrlE

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got the same response

·
Registered
534 Posts
ditto......? :dunno:

·
Registered
534 Posts
still says removed by user?

Reactions: canamracer

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think it sounds great. Is that still with the mufflers in place but pulled apart half and inch or so?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks.

Yeah, I cut the pipe and left the muffler in place. Originally I was planning to pull the mufflers off completely, but once I started it up and drove it around to get a feel for the noise level, I really like it as is. Plus it maintains that stock look but with a much better, and louder, sound. As far as pulling the muffler apart from the pipe, it will do it on its own since the muffler brackets allow it to sway. What I am trying to figure out is how to maintain a consistent separation, because when I come to a stop they sway back into a "closed pipe" condition. Upon acceleration, they sway "open" again. I'll get a drive by video and post it up soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts