BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ugh the DRONE!!! I can't live with it. Kidding

Oh my god. I was hesitant about doing this like pretty much everyone else. The car sounds absolutely insane. In the day and a half I've had the new set-up I've gotten countless thumbs ups and shouts from the street. "woo hell yah e39!" "the hell was that car??" "woah nice car!" "its an m5!" But most importantly I've restored the incredible love I have for the m5. Today I thought about leaving work early countless times just so I could hear the beast roar. Gone through half a tank of gas in 36 hours. Power difference? No. But it is now such a visceral experience that it makes it seem faster. This could be COMPLETELY my imagination, but with 80lbs taken off the rear end it seems to chirp the tires between gears much easier. Those Michelin Pilot supersports didn't used to do that. Maybe I'm crazy. But man am I 200% satisfied. I purchased vibrant 1331 3.5" tips online from summit racing. They might be a little big, but I think they still look sexy. Total cost of install including tips: $350. From what I've read I'm on the higher end, but honestly I'm plenty pleased at that price. The muffler shop guy who did the work was giggling when I came to pick up the car. "Man I wasn't sure at first, but holy sh** that thing sounds incredible." To anyone on the forum who has been thinking about doing this. Do it. It is way better in person and sounds like a Ford GT with a german twist.

Here is a little start-up and rev video I filmed. Some acceleration runs to come shortly. Alright...time to go driving again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8KF4BwlB-M&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
561 Posts
You Sounds like me when I did mine. And now A year later and I'm still as exited as first time I heard it. I almost had tear on my eyes leaving the muffler shop hearing this rumble. And I was thinking all the way home. Sucker the first owner paid over $100.000 for the car and didn't get to enjoy this sound. :) enjoy it man. You will never get sick of it. And you will be driving around a lot holding low gears and down shifting with rev match....be ready for a lot more gas :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear you are stilling loving it! I expected great sound at full throttle, but what I didn't expect was the epic throaty wail it emits at medium throttle in the first half of the rpm range.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds fantastic. I have yet to hear one in person...
I pulled the trigger without hearing it in person. Was nervous for sure. Far exceeded my expectations. The mic I used in this video is pretty good so It gives a decent representation of what it sounds like. But actually accelerating sounds much better than revving while parked!

·
Registered
180 Posts
It sounds amazing. That sound + your happiness for it has solidified it for me... can't wait to get this on my car :)

Reactions: pnirenstein

·
Registered
854 Posts
Is there any drone between 1.5-2k when the engine is under load? I've been wanting to do this but want to hear it in person first. Anyone I'm seattle area have this done?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Is there any drone between 1.5-2k when the engine is under load? I've been wanting to do this but want to hear it in person first. Anyone I'm seattle area have this done?

The most thing I hate in any car is rattling or drone. I did a muffler delete and I was thinking for sure I'm going to put the mufflers back on and look for an exhaust system. But.... Zero drone zero issues and it sounds Amazing

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does having a muffler delete done mean that you have less back pressure as in less HP and torque? Pretty much making the car slower other than weight savings..

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is exactly my plan with the muffler deletes, then handle the X pipe down the road. Where did you have the install done since you're also in California?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Since I got my car 4 months ago, I have been contemplating doing this as my first mod. Fact is there is no change in performance, only a big increase in smile factor ! I will definitely be doing this :7:

·
Registered
107 Posts
All I can say it is the single best non-performance mod. Mannered and streetable when required, raw and visceral at WOT. My particular favorite is the ripping sound off concrete barriers when those cams are really working!

I'm giggling just thinking about it, my wife was following me and I tore off last night. I got home and was giggling, "That's obnoxious," was all I got! Mission accomplished.

I also have vibrant 1331.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sir, I mentioned what tips I had in my post, but they are Vibrant 1331. To those wondering about hp gain/loss, drone, and anything else go check out the official muffler delete fact thread. It has everything you need to know, and was very helpful in making my decision. Cheers!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is exactly my plan with the muffler deletes, then handle the X pipe down the road. Where did you have the install done since you're also in California?
While my home base is Northern CA, I shipped the car to Michigan for school. But if anyone lives near Ann Arbor, MI, "Ann Arbor Muffler and Brakes" did a great job.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like many others have contemplated doing this same thing but would like to hear it first. Not to thread hijack but if you don't mind... anyone in the Richmond, VA area with a muffler delete care to give me a ride?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I too, am debating this. I have a second factory exhaust (cat back) just laying around to play with. Should make for an interesting day tomorrow.
If I mess it up to bad I can just re-hang the original to the car exhaust and move on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like many others have contemplated doing this same thing but would like to hear it first. Not to thread hijack but if you don't mind... anyone in the Richmond, VA area with a muffler delete care to give me a ride?
Hey no big deal at all. If you can find somebody then all the better. But if you can't, my vote is to go for it. Listen to the hype, it's the best non performance mod out there. Money may not be able to buy happiness, but this $350 has bought me infinite smiles :).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts