BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always hated the early airbag wheel (4-spoke) in my car. It must be 385-390mm in diameter.

Just changed over to a 370mm Mtech 2 and it was a night and day difference. The car feels more lively and nimble, especially on turn-in, and feedback through the wheel has increased. All this is subjective, of course, but it increases driving pleasure and that's why we fuss over twenty year old cars.

Begone bus wheel!

·
Registered
482 Posts
...but it increases driving pleasure and that's why we fuss over twenty year old cars.

...!
Fuss over? Lets get real - it's an obsession.

When I installed my 3-spoke steering wheel, I replaced the original 1/90 steering column with an adjustable memory steering column from an E-31 and retrofitted the driver seat to memory because I needed a place to mount/install the memory switch for the steering column.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Note the wheel posted by m6bigdog is not a 370mm mtech2 but a 385mm sport srs

Please post some pics of the 370mm MTech2 wheel mounted on your car. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wow looks great so what model Bmw did that wheel apply to? Is it just a simple swap?
Unfortunately, for my 1/90, M5 this steering wheel retrofit is not a simple swap.
E-34 used several steering column/wheel hub configurations, with only a choice of manual or electric telescoping adjustment.
The steering wheel I wanted was installed on the Euro E-34 after 5/94. Given all the effort to retrofit the steering column I decided to go all the way with a 1994 model year E-31 with both telescoping and vertical adjustment steering column.

The difference between 385mm and 370mm is a little over 1/2" diameter out of a total 14-1/2" and I doubt if you can tell the difference at 7mm or 1/4" increase in radius from the center of the steering wheel.

The 3-spoke SRS steering wheel (385mm) I installed (p/n 32 34 1 092 050) is used on a lot of Euro E-36's and on one US car, Z3, 1.9.
Another steering wheel 32 34 1 162 097 that is the form factor except with a flat black leather wheel cover is used on Euro E-31, E-34 & E-39 and both use the same airbag p/n: 32341092762.

·
10,445 Posts
The difference between 385mm and 370mm is a little over 1/2" diameter out of a total 14-1/2" and I doubt if you can tell the difference at 7mm or 1/4" increase in radius from the center of the steering wheel.
i've had both the 370 and now the 385 mm M tech 2 in my car. For someone on the taller side, that 15mm difference makes a bit of a difference. with the 370, the tops of my speedo and tach were blocked, with the 385 i can see it. I was unable to see a pretty large area, like between 60-90 mph. I think the 385 'feels' right for a bigger car like the e34.
Mike

·
10,445 Posts
Yeah, going to have to disagree with you two on that.
not sure what you're disagreeing to? The fact that with the 370mm wheel i couldn't see the tops of my gauges, but can with the 385 Mtech 2?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just mean that, in my experience, there is a marked difference between a 385mm and 370mm steering wheel in an E34, and the smaller wheel greatly increases driving feel, interaction, and pleasure. I don't consider the E34 to be a large car, at least not by modern standards.

BTW, I am 6ft and have no problems seeing the full sweep of the gauges with the 370mm wheel.

·
10,445 Posts
i agree with that as well. I can see/feel a difference with the 370 vs 385, vs stock (what is that like 390?). I liked the look/feel of the 370, but the blocked gauges bugged me. the 385 m tech 2 is a nice compromise.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i would love a 370mm airbag wheel ... if anyone ever find one (that fits) , please post here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
hugh

Hey -- I am very new to this resource, but I have a 1991 (american ) specification M-5. I am interested in what appears to be the same retro fit of a euro 3 spoke wheel. Noting that it has a "small" airbag, was there substantial electronic changes when you switched wheels?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am wondering about airbag module and when you changed from "american" airbag to smaller "euro" airbag…big changes or direct connection?
thanks
hugh

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey -- I am very new to this resource, but I have a 1991 (american ) specification M-5. I am interested in what appears to be the same retro fit of a euro 3 spoke wheel. Noting that it has a "small" airbag, was there substantial electronic changes when you switched wheels?
Note that the Mtech 2 steering wheel, like the one I have, is a non-airbag wheel. It was available in 370mm and 385 mm sizes.

The steering wheel posted by GrandRoyal is a later airbag wheel (can't remember what it is called) that is very nice but 385mm in diameter.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I did not find a steering wheel that has airbag and is 370mm for the e34

I found the e39 m5 wheel that is a bit smaller and has airbag ( i think 380 )
But did not like the design...

As is i think a 370 wheel will block the top of the speedo/tach

I am 1,76 tall and the wheel is at highest level and the seat at the lowest

I did not want to lose the airbag, if you dont mind not having the airbag there are some bmw 370 options

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received what appears to be that exact wheel the other day. Unfortunately, the spline on my car is quite a bit smaller, and the mechanic said slip ring (provided) does not appear to be anything near to correct wiring… My car is an early (11/90) 91 car….perhaps spline changed on later cars? any thoughts?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts