BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the four years I've had my M5 I have never ever checked MPG - after two $50 fill-ups at a cost per gallon that was approaching $4, I thought I would have a look this past weekend just for fun.

So, I reset the computer and headed out for 260 miles of highway driving. Upon arrival, my computer told me I had an average speed of 68.8 mph with fuel consumption of 22.0 mpg.

Curious how this might compare with others.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
NYC_M5 said:
In the four years I've had my M5 I have never ever checked MPG - after two $50 fill-ups at a cost per gallon that was approaching $4, I thought I would have a look this past weekend just for fun.

So, I reset the computer and headed out for 260 miles of highway driving. Upon arrival, my computer told me I had an average speed of 68.8 mph with fuel consumption of 22.0 mpg.

That sounds about right from my experience. My average of light city and freeway driving (with occasional heavy foot) is 21 mpg. In checking against a recent edition of Consumer Report comparing 260 vehicles, these numbers are as good or better than about half the new vehicles on the road, which ain't bad for a certified super car..

Cheers,

·
Registered
136 Posts
my average is always about 17mpg, and thats > 70% highway. i drive with no guilt at 17mpg. thats better than i could hope for. my wife's SUV gets slightly better, but nowhere close to the fun. i told her the M5 is 'more efficient' than her SUV. :)

17mpg for a very powerful sedan and not quite a light-weight, is amazing. but if i'm supposed to be getting better, to the dealer i go ! or some MAF cleaning..

at 80mph, steady cruising, she gets 26mpg !

Giang
No. VA

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
NYC_M5 said:

You need to do actual consumption the computer can be off some. There is an adjustment if you are interested.

I have gotten 24.6 at a true average speed of 76 miles over 3 hours, straight highway. Otherwise, average is around 17 as you describe, depending on city/highway mix and weight of right foot.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
564 Posts
I usually get 15 -17 mpg in town with no freeway driving.

I once got 22 mpg traveling two lane back roads full of twisties (300 mile drive)at 50-60 mph.

Recently, I got 23 mpg driving to Lake Tahoe and back (200 miles) going from sea level to an elevation of 7,800 feet averaging 80 mph.

My worst mileage ever was 5.9 mpg at the M5 driving experience!:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Overall MPG at 55k miles = 18.5, as calculated by the onboard computer.

Steve

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wow I'm lucky if I get 13 city and 15 highway. Then again I drive in the city like

I would on the highway and on the highway well..... FAGETTA BOUT IT

·
Registered
377 Posts
NYC_M5 said:

I reset my computer the day I bought the car. I'm averaging 44.5 MPH and the computer says 18.9 MPG. My '95 540i sport (6sp) aveaged 22.2 over the 8 years I had the car. I'm pretty pleased with the M5 even at $3.39 in NJ.

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is consistent to what I ussually get, filled up friday and for all city driving it was 15 MPG, when I traveled from TX to Fl two months ago I got 22 MPG, Josh

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I averaged 24mpg going up to a BMW Car Club meet today. I was well impressed.

Much better than the 9.9 mpg i had to reset on the last fill up. I usually drive in the city. Good to let the beast strech it legs once in a while tho. :hihi:

·
Registered
280 Posts
NYC_M5 said:

Thats good i am a little heavy footed mine 16.5mpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts