BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested to know what sort of miles owners find their tyres last? I appreciate that this will depend on mix of motorways and back roads etc. My mileage is 90% A & B roads and 10% motorways as I find them so boring.

As such the best I have managed from the rear tyres (and I'm not into spinning the tyres or opposite locking) is 9/10k on PS2's, the fronts about 2k better.

As for MPG I do like to use the performance most of the time and as the A & B roads will suggest there is plenty of gear changing and MPG varies between 15 and 18. I have even driven (once) in a very conservative way to see how well this may improve and only managed 22 mpg. I have heard some mention 26/27 but how? switching off and coasting down each hill?

The car is a 92 3.8 with a six speed box and 3.91 diff. 18" parrallels with tyres to suit the correct rolling radius.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Richard I get somewhere between 12 and 14 K on Goodyear Eagle F1's. Most of my driving is town and motorway but with the odd cross country b road thrash. MPG wise in London I can get around 18, on the motorway with the cruise set at 78 I seem to average around 24-25mpg on a decent 150 mile run. A/C on or off makes no difference.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm on Toyo T1Rs - the fronts are now done for but have done about 20k, the rears are still Ok and I reckon will do 20k too.

I found I was getting 19 mpg running the car to work - (11 miles each way - 5 miles country lanes, 3 miles motorway, 3 miles in town/traffic) and it does 24/25 on a run on the motorway. The OBC underestimates fuel consumption by about 15% on mine but these figures are worked out from the amount of fuel I've stuck in the tank.

I'm thinking that as the OBC is so far out there must be some extra economy to be gained so I'm running through all the engine management stuff slowly - valve clearances, coil packs and some sensors done so far, lamda sensor and injector cleaning/replacement next - after 15 yars/150k I think that probably accounts for some of the difference between cars, and there is always the possibility that the rolling resitance of various tyres may make a difference.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I'm currently doing a 220 mile each way commute (Mon-Fri in London), and it's 95% motorway.

I'm averaging 400 miles before needing to refill, and I only ever get just under 80L in - so I guess that's (400 miles ÷ 80 litres = 5 miles per litre x 4.546 litres per gallon = 22.73 miles per gallon) about 23mpg on a long, fast run (i.e. 190 miles in less than 3 hours, and the other 30 [bleedin' M25/M4 grrrrrrr] in another hour).

I could do better, but I'd need that 6th cog and I'd have to reduce my velocity slightly - and that's the only thing keeping me away at 5am!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Hi Richard ,

My figures and driving patterns are very similar to your own .

The best mpg I see on ps2 s with a 5 speed 3.6 are 23mpg and more typically 18mpg on combined , enthusiastic journies .

On average tyres are replaced after 8 to 9,000 miles .Tyres are replaced before reaching 1.6mm.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just a question to my UK colleagues.
When you talk MPG, I assume you are using British gallons = 4.5L (?)

Americans I assume your MPG are based on the US gallon = 3.7L

I work in L/100km, it always have to do the conversion to put things in perspective.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hmm....My long term average is 23.7 mpg at the moment.
On a motorway run its 27+

Best ever (over long distance) was the return from N/S last year,
hitting 30mpg over the complete return leg.

(and no, I dont think the OBC is telling pork pies ! )

That having been said I do drive to 2 very distinct levels>
maximum economy or maximum performance.

There simply is no in between with me.

Savour the performance or save the motor !

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Car only really gets used hard at the weekends for trips to the 'Ring' or during the week for trackdays.

I am running on Perelli P Zero's at the front, and have been for 9k miles, with plenty of tread still left. I have PS2's on the rear which I find last about 6-8k miles. Taking into consideration its usage I didn't think this was too bad.

In terms of MPG; I have seen 28mpg on a single motorway journey (the one I picked her up on). My normal consumption is around 18mpg, with trips to the 'Ring' averaging just under 16mpg for the entire journey.

At Donington last month I managed to use near as damn it a full tank of petrol in 160 miles!:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
At Donington last month I managed to use near as damn it a full tank of petrol in 160 miles!:eek:oohhh:
Should have tried it at somewhere like the old Anglesey circuit - I used to get less than 100 miles a tank :eek:

You got into 4th gear on the straight before School at about 110mph, but the rest of the circuit was 2nd/3rd gear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No idea on tyres, car is on a new set of PS2's and not had car long enough to know long these will last...

Fuel - OBC average over 1000 miles shows 22.9mpg

Best - gently driven to Farrell's, about 80 miles of mostly dual carriageway / motorway - 30.7mpg (6sp box)

Worst - 17.6mpg

Not so bad, my dull 'commuter' 520i only averages about 28mpg on the motorway, and doing the same kind of speeds / journey the M5 is about the same, as long as driven in the same manner!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts