BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) how many miles does a full tank of gas last if you drive 80% city and 20% highway?

2) how many gallons is a full tank hold up to??

3) if you drive about 20 miles a day would it last you a week?

If you help i would appreciate it very much thank you m5 members~~!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
1) how many miles does a full tank of gas last if you drive 80% city and 20% highway?

1. ~260
2. 18.5
3. You'll have to fill up 1 time a week.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Be prepared to constantly have to fill your tank. 1 tank a week? Possible. If you're 80% city, don't expect more than 10 mpg. You'll be able to hold a little over 14 gallons.

Reactions: HakopE60

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
be prepared to constantly have to fill your tank. 1 tank a week? Possible. If you're 80% city, don't expect more than 10 mpg. You'll be able to hold a little over 14 gallons.
thank you very much and a little of 14 gallons it says on paper 18.5 gallons?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would love to be able to get 260 miles a tank in Hawaii, lol.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've been able to get 165 to 180 miles from full tank down to half tank on freeway drives to Vegas. Speed between 75 - 85 MPH w/ an occasional burst to 120.
City driving on the other hand is 85 - 95 miles from full down to half. But that is also on M mode with frequent shifts @ 8400 RPM. Gotta clear those carbon deposits. Only during optimal oil temp of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've been able to get 165 to 180 miles from full tank down to half tank on freeway drives to vegas. Speed between 75 - 85 mph w/ an occasional burst to 120.
City driving on the other hand is 85 - 95 miles from full down to half. But that is also on m mode with frequent shifts @ 8400 rpm. Gotta clear those carbon deposits.
thank you very much for sharing your info!~!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I do about 90% local driving and have been averaging 13.5 MPG. I've done 1 hwy jaunt with it on a 200 mile trip and was averaging around 20 MPG at 75 MPH. Today I added 16.4 gallons after putting 220 miles on the last tank.

The guys who are getting 10 MPG or less are constantly flogging their cars. I've never seen under 12 MPG even with lots of flogging.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do about 90% local driving and have been averaging 13.5 MPG. I've done 1 hwy jaunt with it on a 200 mile trip and was averaging around 20 MPG at 75 MPH. Today I added 16.4 gallons after putting 220 miles on the last tank.

The guys who are getting 10 MPG or less are constantly flogging their cars. I've never seen under 12 MPG even with lots of flogging.

Thanks for the share!

See some people say it is 13.5-14.5 gallon tank (full tank of gas)
and some say fit up to 16.5-18 gallons for a full tank??

how many gallons will it fit in a full tank?? THANK YOU!

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
how many gallons will it fit in a full tank?? THANK YOU!

You should just reference your manual as it lists all your capacities.

I drive nearly all city. I hit the highway once or twice a day depending on what I'm doing but often in traffic. I drive pretty regular but on the spirited side. I try to keep it below 4k rpm to keep the volume down from my exhaust. Here is my running log for fuel. I put gas in her once a week at a minimum.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1404861177.190245.jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
It is hard to say, you could be in 16 miles of city traffic that just sits. Horrible car for city driving. The car can get good mpg as long as your moving and not stopping. I usually get 21-23.5 mpg when I drive to work 3 days every two weeks, but I leave early and there is no traffic. I only got this car because my commute is maybe 5-6K a year. As soon as you are picking up the kids, running errands, and frequent stop/start/stop/start of the car and you will be filling up every 2-3 days. It uses premium gas, so if you are running lots of errands you will be spending 56-67 bucks every 2-3 days. If that scares you, keep in mind that this isn't your regular car to maintain, and you will need to spend quite a bit more to maintain it, and you cannot ignore the maintenance. It is an incredible car, and it is meant to be driven. I could not imagine having it for a city commute car. Cheetahs are meant to be free, not caged, and this car likes to stretch it's legs. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should just reference your manual as it lists all your capacities.

I drive nearly all city. I hit the highway once or twice a day depending on what I'm doing but often in traffic. I drive pretty regular but on the spirited side. I try to keep it below 4k rpm to keep the volume down from my exhaust. Here is my running log for fuel. I put gas in her once a week at a minimum.
View attachment 440706
Amazing Thank you very much!
:cheers:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It is hard to say, you could be in 16 miles of city traffic that just sits. Horrible car for city driving. The car can get good mpg as long as your moving and not stopping. I usually get 21-23.5 mpg when I drive to work 3 days every two weeks, but I leave early and there is no traffic. I only got this car because my commute is maybe 5-6K a year. As soon as you are picking up the kids, running errands, and frequent stop/start/stop/start of the car and you will be filling up every 2-3 days. It uses premium gas, so if you are running lots of errands you will be spending 56-67 bucks every 2-3 days. If that scares you, keep in mind that this isn't your regular car to maintain, and you will need to spend quite a bit more to maintain it, and you cannot ignore the maintenance. It is an incredible car, and it is meant to be driven. I could not imagine having it for a city commute car. Cheetahs are meant to be free, not caged, and this car likes to stretch it's legs. Just something to think about.
Thanks for the advice bud! will defenitly keep that in mind!

Worth every single penny as the say Smiles Per gallon > MPG :1:

·
Registered
251 Posts

1) 80% city and 20% highway is the majority of my tanks, in which I average 12mpg. Lot of hills in my area though.

2) 17.11 gallons is the most I've ever filled up on one tank. I've tracked about 12,000 miles of fill-ups on fuelly.com I usually try to fill up before the estimated number of miles left is greater than 0. But when it does drop to empty, I am usually at a gas station within 5 miles. That being said if 18.5 gallons is really the tank capacity, what's the closest that any of you have gotten?

3) 20 x 7 is only 140 miles. There would have to be a pretty extreme week long circumstance to cause my beast to run 8mpg.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Okay, when I posted the reply I was taking into account my experience. I guess it vastly varies based on where you live and how you drive. I DD my car 80% city 20% highway and I fill up once a week. A tank lasts me ~290 miles, if I've driven all highway, I'd get over 300. My average mpg in the city is 13.2.

I've never even seen 10 before unless I've driven in M mode putting my foot down. That being said, if I do put my foot down, I see the RPM gauge go up and I can literally see the fuel gauge dropping down.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm actually pretty amazed at how absolutely brutal the gas mileage in the E60 M5 is. Even using light throttle in P400 and keeping the RPMs under 3000, the gas mileage is pretty pitiful, especially for a car that is only 5 liters and not F/I. Even the new Corvettes are getting almost 30 MPG on the highway out of much bigger engines.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm actually pretty amazed at how absolutely brutal the gas mileage in the E60 M5 is. Even using light throttle in P400 and keeping the RPMs under 3000, the gas mileage is pretty pitiful, especially for a car that is only 5 liters and not F/I. Even the new Corvettes are getting almost 30 MPG on the highway out of much bigger engines.
I was talking to some American muscle enthusiasts recently and when they found out how much HP my car was making, what the displacement of the engine was and what the redline was at, they were amazed at how good my mpg was.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts