BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But what does it display in the entertainment screen? I tried to take some shots earlier, but as it is pitch black outside the fastest shutter speed I could get was 1/4 sec so they are blurred. I'll take some tomorrow.

Tim

·
Registered
283 Posts
Tim_M said:
But what does it display in the entertainment screen? I tried to take some shots earlier, but as it is pitch black outside the fastest shutter speed I could get was 1/4 sec so they are blurred. I'll take some tomorrow.

Tim
This is how it looks like on my screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got rather a busy day today - yet another appointment to try to sort out back pain for those that have been following the saga. (There's also the small matter of the last day of a game of cricket going on in Pakistan that I'd like to watch this morning!) I'll show you what my display looks like later on today, and you can judge for yourself whether the extra effort is worth it. I've gone to great lengths to 1. Make sure each album and track name is listed in full, and 2. To eliminate the 2 digit track number pre-pended to the name so that they play in the right order.

The document may look a bit daunting at first, but 99% of it is initial set-up. Once done the process of ripping and encoding is almost automatic. Creating the image involves just half a dozen mouse clicks and a couple of keypresses per album.

I'm very open to feedback - there may be other easier ways of achieving the same end result, but as far as I'm concerned EAC and LAME are the only way to go to produce top quality mp3s. I spent quite a bit of time and loads of CDRs trying and MP3BR Imager is the only way I could achieve my personal goals...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They aren't the best photos in the world, but they should show why I went to the trouble I did. Albums shows the list of folders (album names), Tracks is derived purely from filenames. When details is turned on (press in the controller and scroll down, then tick the box) ID3 tags are retrieved for the currently playing track. The extra information is superfluous unless you are playing a compilation album.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Perhaps it's not working correctly due to dampness...? According to your display you appear to be driving through a lake :hihi:
Who said it's not working? :confused:
And this was in a desert, not the lake hiha

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I have some feedback please? Has anyone used this and succeeded or does it just look too complicated?

Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for all the efforts with your guide, I used the last bit to create the ISO as I already have all my music burned but burning the ISO kept crashing whilst trying to burn with Nero :( will keep trying though. Thanks again.

Tim_M said:
Can I have some feedback please? Has anyone used this and succeeded or does it just look too complicated?

Tim

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've burned with Nero 7 without problems - have you tried using the free burning software I suggested? Although I have Nero I tested Microburner and it worked for me.

Tim

·
Registered
271 Posts
Tim,

I followed your instruction and made a CD but it still won't play in my car.

I can mount the ISO in XP using Nero ImageDrive and I can see the listing of the files using my computer but when I put it into my car, the CD is greyed out. Still not sure what I am doing wrong!

Tim_M said:

Tim

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only things that spring to mind is that your car doesn't have the mp3 software (which seems wierd) or that it doesn't like the media. Have you tried copying a normal music CD (using Nero) onto the same media and playing it in the drive?

I can't do it now, but if you like I could make a small test image with just a few tracks on it, test it in my car and then post it for you to download? It isn't likely to be until Wednesday though.

Tim

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'll try the normal music CD option and see what happens.

If you could put together an image with a few tracks, that would be very helpful too!

Thanks!

Tim_M said:
The only things that spring to mind is that your car doesn't have the mp3 software (which seems wierd) or that it doesn't like the media. Have you tried copying a normal music CD (using Nero) onto the same media and playing it in the drive?

I can't do it now, but if you like I could make a small test image with just a few tracks on it, test it in my car and then post it for you to download? It isn't likely to be until Wednesday though.

Tim

·
Registered
283 Posts
Tim_M said:

Tim
Tim,

Many thanks for posting this. The issue for me was in creating nested playlists, which are not supported by iTunes. So, by using only Windows Explorer, I could create separate folders and a CD with cryptic names of the songs. Just to summarize 3 step process for others interested in creating their own CDs:
1. Convert audio CDs to MP3 and store the files in folders (playlists). I used iTunes for this step (just because it is free and was already installed), but there are other ways to accomplish the same. The key here is to get songs together with Author/Genre/Album title/Song name, etc. info.
2. Use MP3BR Imager (from http://www.mp3br.com/) to create image of the CD (iso file). Tim explained this already.
3. Use any CD burning sw to burn the iso image on the CD (Nero, or anything else will do the job). I used Sonic RecordNow CD burner that was already installed.
Results are shown below.
The only dissapointment for me was that in dash CD player supports MP3, but not the CD Changer.

Zeljko

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only thing I'll add to Zeljko's post is that if, like me, you are a perfectionist you'll get better results using EAC and LAME than any other ripping/encoding combo that I've tried. Most ripping software (the bit that gets the wav file off the CD) rely on built in error correction so if there is dust or a minor scratch on the CD it will interpolate which gives rise to pops and clicks in the final mp3. EAC reads each sector multiple times to overcome the problem. LAME again is slightly better than your average encoder and you'll get better quality from the same bit rate.

If you've already got loads of mp3s stored with playlists (the playlists aren't strictly necessary but it makes burning in the correct order easier) then you'll get a reasonable result using just MP3BR.

Tim

·
Registered
271 Posts
I saw a slide at the dealer yesterday laying out MP3 support in BMW's. The E60's changer will support Mp3's starting from March 07 production!!! Why it is taking that long to add MP3 to a changer, I have no idea!

zeljko said:
Tim,

Many thanks for posting this. The issue for me was in creating nested playlists, which are not supported by iTunes. So, by using only Windows Explorer, I could create separate folders and a CD with cryptic names of the songs. Just to summarize 3 step process for others interested in creating their own CDs:
1. Convert audio CDs to MP3 and store the files in folders (playlists). I used iTunes for this step (just because it is free and was already installed), but there are other ways to accomplish the same. The key here is to get songs together with Author/Genre/Album title/Song name, etc. info.
2. Use MP3BR Imager (from http://www.mp3br.com/) to create image of the CD (iso file). Tim explained this already.
3. Use any CD burning sw to burn the iso image on the CD (Nero, or anything else will do the job). I used Sonic RecordNow CD burner that was already installed.
Results are shown below.
The only dissapointment for me was that in dash CD player supports MP3, but not the CD Changer.

Zeljko

1 - 20 of 31 Posts