BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 M5 w/ Dinan s2 two months ago from a friend who did not have either badge on teh car.....to be stealth.

i told him while he is getting a checkup at Dinan HQ to get both badges put back on.

ONly recently i realized both badges are put in non-traditional places on teh trunk. the m5 is on the right and dinan is on the left but not in the mid section but on the ends where most normal bmws have their 540 etc.

sorry no pictures. but i hope you get the drift.

so the question is how hard is it to remove and replace the badges? anyone moved, removed, or change the location of their m5 badges, - can teh dealer do this or do i need to take it someplace like body shop?

i actually didn't notice it until someone pointed it out on a "fake" m5.

thx

·
Registered
334 Posts
mackenzie said:
Just bought a 2001 M5 w/ Dinan s2 two months ago from a friend who did not have either badge on teh car.....to be stealth.

i told him while he is getting a checkup at Dinan HQ to get both badges put back on.

ONly recently i realized both badges are put in non-traditional places on teh trunk. the m5 is on the right and dinan is on the left but not in the mid section but on the ends where most normal bmws have their 540 etc.

sorry no pictures. but i hope you get the drift.

so the question is how hard is it to remove and replace the badges? anyone moved, removed, or change the location of their m5 badges, - can teh dealer do this or do i need to take it someplace like body shop?

i actually didn't notice it until someone pointed it out on a "fake" m5.

thx
You definately can do the job yourself if you feel comfortable with the work.

You will need a tool with a flat head that can remove the badges(make sure you dont damage your paint).

The adhesive comes off clean but sometimes may leave some sticky compound that can be easily removed.

Next, you need to measure and properly align both badges to exact factory spec.--(whether it's the Dinan badge or the M5).

It's that simple. Keep in mind, if you dont feel comfortable, let the dealer do it. I purchased my 2000 without the badging and at that time didn't feel comfortable doing the job myself, so I took it to the dealer and they did it for free.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx you very much for the advice. i think i will have the dealership do it. hope they wont charge me or screw up the paint

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
You can use dental floss to remove the emblems without fear of ruining the paint.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dental floss behind the badges in a sawlike motion and they'll pop right off with no damage to badges or the paint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do i use to put the badges back on. I guess the adhesive should still be sticky, but in case it is not?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I've used fishing line too, sometimes I will take an old license plate frame, tie the fishing line through the screw holes in the frame and use this to pull the straight line through the adhesive. WD-40 (be sure to wipe it off as soon as done) and goo-gone also have worked for me to remove the adhesive.

·
Registered
784 Posts
mackenzie said:
What do i use to put the badges back on. I guess the adhesive should still be sticky, but in case it is not?
I have used a variety of methods......all of which were mentioned with success however I typically use 3M's adhesive remover........tape a rag below the badge to collect to run off and then several times I will run some fluid behind the badge....this process will breakdown the adhesive until I can finally pull it away.......

Once off I completely clean ALL the old sticky stuff and then install new very thin 3M double stick tape.............

Works like a charm and never a concern or damage.

I use the same process to remove spoilers......etc.

Good luck, or I should say be patient.......luck is not a factor here.

Shadowman

B

·
0 Posts
3M double-sided magentic tape is also an option for remounting, as it will make life a lot easier in repositioning, and can be removed by a potential thief without them messing up the paint with a screw-driver or knife.

Cheers, Daniel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts