BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello M5BOARD, I'm looking to get an E63 M6 or a Mercedes C63 AMG. What things should I look for when test driving an M6? Should I avoid SMG or get a manual? The closest 6MT I've found is 1500 miles away from me (2008 black on brown, 38K miles). Is this car really that expensive to maintain? I know the C63 AMG is pretty bulletproof but I love the S85. Should I get the M6 or is this car too expensive to maintain? Yes I used the search function but wanted some input on C63 vs M6. Thanks!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes, the S85/SMG is quite expensive to maintain, especially since you will be buying pre-owned and not knowing how the car has been driven/maintained by previous owner(s). A MT E63 will be more reliable, but you will still have the clutch to maintain. The Mercedes will surely be more bulletproof just based on reputation, but I have no experience owning/maintaining any AMG car. The only way to decide which is best for you is to drive several examples of each before making your decision.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had my 2008 M6 for about four months, and it's currently at the dealership for the following:

Oil cooler
Driver side-view mirror won't adjust
Driver-side lumbar support inop

It's still under a second-party warranty until November, but I'm a bit nervous how things are going to go after that.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I had a CLK55 brand new, which I really enjoyed and had no problems. However, the SL550 and (2) S500's owned had a lot of difficulty with transmissions and air suspension failures-all of which cost some time and money. I just traded in my 2010 M6 for a new F10 M5 that was loaded mainly because of some anxiety regarding maintenance so I understand your concern.
My recommendation is to attempt to purchase an extended warranty with the M6 and that will give you the peace of mind required. M6's are fabulous cars-also find an Indy repair shop you can trust because the dealers aren't all that up on the cars-they just want to make money.
The M6 is exotic and rare, plus it provides an incredible grin factor with the sound of the V10. Go for it if you can get the warranty!
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've driven both cars (M6 was a convertible though and SMG) and I like both. Are these cars comparable? I know the M6 is the top of the line BMW and the C63 is their entry level C-Class.

What warranty is the best? Other than the SMG pump on the SMG version, what should I look out for?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The only other significant problem I've noticed in my research is rod bearings. Plus the usual electrical gremlins you get with any European vehicles...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts