BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I currently live in Europe, and have a German Spec 99 M5.
Can anyone shed some light on what I will need to have done to it, should I decide to bring it back into the US. I'm pretty sure emissions meet the required US standards, but is there anything else. ie brake lights etc..
Does anyone know if I'll get nailed on taxes.
Thanks for help.
Regards,
Duka

·
Registered
73 Posts
Duka: call BMW North America for what will need to be done to get the car in over here. They should be able to tell you exactly what's going on. I can't help you on taxes. Probably depends on what state you live in. Since it is used, you may not have to pay the gas guzzler tax, but I'm only guessing. I do not know what the import taxes are either. Good luck with the move.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A few thought...

Warranty. Maybe worldwide 1 Yr, but not US 3 Yr

Conversion. Will cost for lights and more.

Taxes. You will be paying tax on this car.

Resale. Who will buy it? Might not be as easy as you think.

Paperwork. Alot of crap to go through for importing a car and proving EPA... you will have to pay quite a bit.

Best answer. Sell it, and buy a new US model.

Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dux: Have to agree with Daniel. It's a lot of bother to go through to import what will be a hard to sell car. I would sell it and repurchase here. You can find easily, but you will have to pay over list, get lucky and catch one coming off unexpected dealer allocation, or wait 6 months. Depending on when (and where)you arrive here, the wait may be shorter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts