BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
What's going on guys, I've got a 2000 euro spec M5 that just hit 66k. My car like some of you guys was consuming a quart of precious/pricey castrol 10w60 (which I hear is supposed to raise another 20% in the next few weeks) almost every week >1000k miles. I do mostly city driving but when I did drive up to Toronto over the winter (750 miles) it didn't consume any oil what so ever.

Fed up with buying a quart every week and checking my oil at ever fill up i started looking for an alternative. After a little research I decided to switch over to Motul Synergie 15w50 and I couldn't be any happier. It's been a little over 1000 miles and a weekend of some "spirited" driving (ask mfizzle) I only needed to add an additional 1/2 a quart! I also need to make note on how much peppier my car feels. It's a night and day difference and I'm never going back to castrol. Considering two 5 liter jugs only cost me about 80 shipped from turner motorsports to my house (including 2nd day air.) I think I made a great choice and I hope this helps some if you guys out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,078 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Oh no you didnt.......Blue Thunder, pass the popcorn...

OK guys, go ahead...

·
4,398 Posts
i think you mean 6100?

i could only find the canadian spec sheets

http://www.motul-canada.com/en/products/products_info/Engine_oil/CAR_Engine_Oil_Technosynthese/6100_Synergie_15W50/6100_Synergie_15w50_TDS.PDF

PROPERTIES
Viscosity grade SAE J 300 15W-50
Density at 15°C (59°F) ASTM D1298 0.879
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 19.6 mm²/s
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 143.4 mm²/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 157
Pour point ASTM D97 -33°C / -27°F
Flash point ASTM D92 224°C / 435°F
TBN ASTM D 2896 7.9 mg KOH/g

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
subscribed!!!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 2000 year as well with unaccaptbale Oil Consumption before I switched to 'Lubro-Moly Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 Motor Oil'.
My car was going through about one liter every 350 to 500 miles. After I switched to Lubro-Moly, the consumption went down to between 2-3 liters a season! I keep my car away during winter months. So the season for me is between mid March til mid November.

Once I take it out, I drive like a mad man!

·
Registered
187 Posts
ok so im almost afraid to reply to this thread but here goes :1zhelp:

my m5 gulps down oil at an unacceptable rate and its taken nothing but the castrol tws since new. i would love to switch to the liqui moly 10w60 but its simply not available in my area and i dont want to be ordering oil and not have it available in case of high consumption.

motul however is extremely popular here and im keen to switch to the 15w50. according to turner motor-sports its good stuff and the op here seems to like it.

my question is to people that have either used the oil or understand it, vouch for it? the other options i have available here are shell hilux 10w60 and selenia racing 10w60 but i prefer motul, ive used 5w40 8100 in my other cars and its been wonderful.

thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Previous owner used the Castrol in my car and I was losing a quart between oil changes.

I switched over to Redline 10W-60 and burn ZERO oil now (or at least not enough to notice between oil changes).

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Not a clue, I'm just reporting the facts

On a different note, I just realized we revived a 4 year old thread yawnnnn

------------------------------

That, AND and oil thread!!:biggrinbounce: Carry on.

·
Registered
187 Posts
edited: never mind will not be trying this motul 15w50 as its not fully synthetic, im not that adventurous. will order some liqui moly 10w60 as its a proven product and from what i see at least in this forum tends to cut down on oil consumption with the beast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts