BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Motul produced 10W-60 oil.

This oil is made for motorcycles, and all of us we know they make somewhere between 12.000rpm'-16,000rpm's and the lubrication must be absolute perfect otherwise motorcycle engine will wear in no time if driven hard. It also has Ester additive to reduce carbon build up..This oil is good to use for 4 stroke/takt engines means its good for normal car engine.

A friend of mine with E46 M3 (145k miles) did 2 oil changes with this oil and 2 track days. So far no problems.

The only concern I have about this oil on S38 engine is the bearings. Because the Motorcycles dont have that much stress on the bearing as much as on a car engine.

Oil is Red color. No doubt Motul is world wide leader producing super quality oil!

Any opinion fox ?

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
If it's easily available in California I would buy it and try it out. In fact, if i knew where to find it in Arizona I would try it my next oil change. I would expect the car to run a few degrees cooler but as long as it stays in the optimal running temperature, it won't harm it in any way.

My first oil change will be Mobil 1 10w-40. Have no clue what was in the car when I bought it. I plan on trying a few different oils to see if there is a practical difference.

Where does your friend get that stuff?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get you oil changes as many as you want. PM me.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I use Motul in my Suzuki,
my concern about using bike oil in a car engine is simple...

The bike oil was designed to work very well under a different set of
parameters/conditions to a car engine.

For example the oil is subject to the stress and strains of gearset & clutch lubrication.

Also, Motul isn't cheap..so why use that instead of regular oil for the S38 ?

Regards,

Alan.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Bike engine bearings see higher loads than road car engines, its not so much the size and weight (mass) of the pistons and rods but mean piston speed that put the loads on the oil in the bearings especially the cam lobe contact patches due to the very steep rams and agressive cam profiles.

My concern with oil like this is in bikes the service intervals are very short, like 3-4000 miles between oil change intervals this is due to the shear effect of the gearbox. Bike oils for this reason don't have the detergents in them to cope with extended service in cars...

Jay

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Motul in my Suzuki,
my concern about using bike oil in a car engine is simple...

The bike oil was designed to work very well under a different set of
parameters/conditions to a car engine.

For example the oil is subject to the stress and strains of gearset & clutch lubrication.

Also, Motul isn't cheap..so why use that instead of regular oil for the S38 ?

Regards,

Alan.
Alan,

I dont know how expensive is this oil because I am able to buy it about the same as tws castrol. I was just curious about this oil if its good for road car engines or not.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Bike engine bearings see higher loads than road car engines, its not so much the size and weight (mass) of the pistons and rods but mean piston speed that put the loads on the oil in the bearings especially the cam lobe contact patches due to the very steep rams and agressive cam profiles.

My concern with oil like this is in bikes the service intervals are very short, like 3-4000 miles between oil change intervals this is due to the shear effect of the gearbox. Bike oils for this reason don't have the detergents in them to cope with extended service in cars...

Jay
You are supposed to change the oil every 3000 miles on an S38 if you expect any reasonable life from the motor. I use Motul 15-50 8100 synergie from Opie Oils and it is really not that much more expensive.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts