BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have above configuration? Interested in receptivity and quality of sound and compatability as I am picking up this phone over weekend with Cingular as provider. I am a little concerned about Bluetooth efficiency since my son had his V600 in my car and we had problems with reception, echo, and static. Yet when he used it w/o BT enabled,had great reception and super sound quality. Is BT a problem? I read many comments on this board re: problems members are having with this technology. I would be interested in practical experience with Razor V3 and BT in 03 M5. Thanks for your direction and help.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
yapallas said:
Does anyone have above configuration? Interested in receptivity and quality of sound and compatability as I am picking up this phone over weekend with Cingular as provider. I am a little concerned about Bluetooth efficiency since my son had his V600 in my car and we had problems with reception, echo, and static. Yet when he used it w/o BT enabled,had great reception and super sound quality. Is BT a problem? I read many comments on this board re: problems members are having with this technology. I would be interested in practical experience with Razor V3 and BT in 03 M5. Thanks for your direction and help.
Y-

Did your son use the old bluetooth module??? (From Martin's site - bimmernav.com)

WARNING DO NOT PURCHASE the 84 21 6 934 552 Module from ANYWHERE, this module is BMW's 1st generation ULF module has MANY problems.) ONLY get the latest versions of the BMW ULF modules as BMW has continuously improved this product over the last 5 generations of Modules

PART numbers for the Bluetooth ULF FROM BMW ETK
84 21 6 934 552 end of life 06/03 1st generation
84 21 6 938 610 end of life 10/03 2nd generation
84 21 6 934 961 end of life 03/04 3rd generation
84 21 6 950 089 end of life06/04 4th generation

84 21 6 945 387 Present Generation (pretty much the same thing as the 84 21 6 950 089 ULF)

Despite what some dealers are trying to tell customers the production date of your vehicle has NOTHING to do with which module to get. BMW is trying to force dealers to get rid of all of their stock of the 1st and 2nd generation modules as they have many that can not be moved otherwise. Be smart. Whoever you get the ULF modules from DEMAND one of the latest versions and DO NOT accept the 84 21 6 934 552 part.

Please note, dealers are still trying to sell their stock of the 84 21 6 934 552 which is the OLD firmware version. Firmware and hardware can NOT be upgraded. Do not waste your money on the old stuff. the old 84 21 6 934 552 ULF modules do NOT support SMS and do not behave well with some phones. BMW's vendor stopped manufacturing this version over a year ago.

I too am interested in BT and am looking at the V620 with a BT module- I'd be interested to hear what module you had been using.

Ard

·
Registered
881 Posts
yapallas said:
Cingular withdrew the Motorola V600 due to problems with RF interference; at least that was what I was told in my local market.
Hopefully the Razr does not suffer the same!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Did a salesman tell you that? Or better yet a Cingular "customer support" person....

Since Yerios had the 600 working OK- just the problem with it using the BT module, my thought was the module is the issue.

The V600 is being sold in some markets, refurbished in some markets- all are awaiting the V620 which is likely the real reason the 600 tapered off...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ard said:
Did a salesman tell you that? Or better yet a Cingular "customer support" person....

Since Yerios had the 600 working OK- just the problem with it using the BT module, my thought was the module is the issue.

The V600 is being sold in some markets, refurbished in some markets- all are awaiting the V620 which is likely the real reason the 600 tapered off...
Well, guys and gals, I am on my way to pick up the Razor and test it out. I will post with experiences either way. Stay tunned. The thing is a bit pricey though. Cingular wants $519.00 and 2 yrs reup.

·
Registered
881 Posts
ard said:

Well it was the manager of my Cingular branch here in Topeka that mentioned the problems with Radio Frequency, RF, interference with the V600, and that was the quoted reason why it was no longer available.
Take that for what its worth of course; he may well be as ill-informed as most 'sales droids'.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
yapallas said:
Well, guys and gals, I am on my way to pick up the Razor and test it out. I will post with experiences either way. Stay tunned. The thing is a bit pricey though. Cingular wants $519.00 and 2 yrs reup.
Be helpful to determine what the razor does with the specific BT module in the car- unfortunately it is easy to assume that all M5s with "Bluetooth" are the same. It may not be the phone but the car. And even if the razor works, it may be that there is nothing 'wrong' with the V600 but rather the car 's communication with the V600..

You just open the panel where the DVD/CD player is and read the number off the BT module.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ard said:
Be helpful to determine what the razor does with the specific BT module in the car- unfortunately it is easy to assume that all M5s with "Bluetooth" are the same. It may not be the phone but the car. And even if the razor works, it may be that there is nothing 'wrong' with the V600 but rather the car 's communication with the V600..

You just open the panel where the DVD/CD player is and read the number off the BT module.
I got the Razor and paired with the ULF Module 84110018038 which was istalled by the BMW dealer two months ago. I called my office voice mail and recorded a message. When I played it back it sounded like crap. Echoey, and crackley. Houston we have a problem. Does the ULF module No sound right. It is not listed in the numbers at the top of this message thread. Need help.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
That part is for a "jumper plug"... according to my lcoal dealer (and one google 'hit'). You need the part number off the module itself.

As I don't have one, I can't tell you were to look- usually the PN stickers are on the metal part of the casings. You might need to unscrew it to see it- (don't worry about moving wires. etc- they are designed to be very robust.)

ard

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
...you might also look at the paperwork from the service visit two months ago- they 'should' have listed the part numbers...

·
10,445 Posts
A better indicator of ULF is the production date, which is also stamped on the p/n label. I got mine from martin of bmwnav.com in 6/04 and it was production dated 4/04. I went to my dealer to pick up some other parts, and had them pull a ulf just for kicks, and it was production dated 3/03.

Fellow board member alpineblue had problems with his bt and the v600. He went back to the dealer, and i think he got a new ulf. He also switched to a different phone, and the problems went away. I've never had any trouble with my system with my SE T616 with my bt system, very good sound quality. I don't really like the phone personally, but i rarely use it outside of the car. It also works well in my wife's lexus lx470, which came with bt built in. I'd love a better phone, but am not willing to degrade my in car sound quality, and i haven't heard of any phones that work much better with bmw's bt system.
Mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ard said:
Y-

Did your son use the old bluetooth module??? (From Martin's site - bimmernav.com)

WARNING DO NOT PURCHASE the 84 21 6 934 552 Module from ANYWHERE, this module is BMW's 1st generation ULF module has MANY problems.) ONLY get the latest versions of the BMW ULF modules as BMW has continuously improved this product over the last 5 generations of Modules

84 21 6 945 387 Present Generation (pretty much the same thing as the 84 21 6 950 089 ULF)

Despite what some dealers are trying to tell customers the production date of your vehicle has NOTHING to do with which module to get. BMW is trying to force dealers to get rid of all of their stock of the 1st and 2nd generation modules as they have many that can not be moved otherwise. Be smart. Whoever you get the ULF modules from DEMAND one of the latest versions and DO NOT accept the 84 21 6 934 552 part.

Please note, dealers are still trying to sell their stock of the 84 21 6 934 552 which is the OLD firmware version. Firmware and hardware can NOT be upgraded. Do not waste your money on the old stuff. the old 84 21 6 934 552 ULF modules do NOT support SMS and do not behave well with some phones. BMW's vendor stopped manufacturing this version over a year ago.

I too am interested in BT and am looking at the V620 with a BT module- I'd be interested to hear what module you had been using.

Ard
I lloked at the model number of the BT Unit and it is the 84216934552-02 Unit. It does not work well at all. I will be taking it back to the dealer.

Yeoryios

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ard said:
What would ya do without this board, eh?

Ard, did you ever get hooked up with an M5. I knew you were looking for one around summer time.

Other than the BT issue with the Razor, it is great and the graphics are out of the world. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
yapallas said:
Ard, did you ever get hooked up with an M5. I knew you were looking for one around summer time.

Other than the BT issue with the Razor, it is great and the graphics are out of the world. I highly recommend it.
Yep- You missed it-

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47430

Hopefully getting one of the later generation modules will do the trick...

ard

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ard said:
Yep- You missed it-

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47430

Hopefully getting one of the later generation modules will do the trick...

ard
I was in Europe when you posted the purchase. Great price. As you know, I paid 68.5 just back in June with same equipment but with mileage at around 3600. Not much difference in mileage but great difference in price. You did very well. It pays to be patient in these matters. Enjoy the Beast. Maybe some day when a North. Cal drive is arranged we can see her in person. Cheers.

Yeoryios

·
Registered
1 Posts
ard said:
Y-

Ard
I just called Pacific BMW and had them shoot me a quote for a Bluetooth kit. I told them I had a 10/01 build M5. This is what they emailed:
84-21-6-934-552 CONTROL 1 355.02

84-11-0-390-318 E39 ULF 1 207.40 special order

84-13-6-924-547 BRACKET 1 23.30 special order

84-11-0-018-038 SES JUMP 1 7.56

First, a very basic question. What does the acronym ULF stand for? I assume it is the model that connects to the phone via the bluetooth antenna in the center console and interfaces the phone to the nav system, steering wheel buttons, etc. Is this right?

In Pacific BMW's quote, the first part they listed is the problematic first generation ULF, although they describe it as a "CONTROL" and list as second part , 84-11-0-390-318, as an "E39 ULF" What gives?

The salesman said I would also need a ULF bracket and an "Installation Kit" not included in the quote. Where could I get the remaining parts needed to install the phone?

Finally, I understand that there was a change on cars built after 3/02 to make them "Bluetooth ready". What specifically changed, and how does it affect installation in a car built before that date, like my 10/01 build?

Any advise appreciated!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great. I just had BT installed in my 03. Part number 84-21-6-934-552.
Grr... I wonder if they'd let me return it - I just got it 30 days ago.

You're right about the bugs though - I have a "popping" sound from the speakers when the car's first started... Quality w/ the Sony Ericsson T637 is spotty - sometimes good and othertimes really really bad.

Any suggestions on how to get the dealership to replace/fix?

Cheers,
-Darryl

ard said:
Y-

Ard

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Uh, do a search for "Bluetooth" and spend 30 minutes doing research before giving the dealer carte blanche?

(Sorry, had to get that out of my system.... hey, I'm no expert either, I just swiped my post from Martin at bimmernav)

The dealer will likely say "our paperwork shows this is an acceptable module" who knows if they will eat the $200 module and set you up with one of the error free ones.

Unfortunately, the purported problem is a firmware error and NOT a defect... warranty will do you no good.

And BMWNA is trying to flush all the old modules out.

I suppose you can printout the info on the modules from bimemrnav, and ask them to use one of the latest ones- if they refuse, your recourse is limited to contesting the charge on the basis that they did not install the most recent error free module..

Keep in mind that the dealer most likely knows MUCH LESS than the people here and at bimmernav.com... I don't think they have a clue that there are multiple revs of these modules.

A

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great. Thanks. Rub it in, why don't you? ;) I did spend way too much time researching which phone... but apparently not enough on the module itself.

I guess my main complaint is that popping noise... and of course the intermittent quality... Guess I should've done the homework...

Cheers,
-Darryl

ard said:
Uh, do a search for "Bluetooth" and spend 30 minutes doing research before giving the dealer carte blanche?

(Sorry, had to get that out of my system.... hey, I'm no expert either, I just swiped my post from Martin at bimmernav)

The dealer will likely say "our paperwork shows this is an acceptable module" who knows if they will eat the $200 module and set you up with one of the error free ones.

Unfortunately, the purported problem is a firmware error and NOT a defect... warranty will do you no good.

And BMWNA is trying to flush all the old modules out.

I suppose you can printout the info on the modules from bimemrnav, and ask them to use one of the latest ones- if they refuse, your recourse is limited to contesting the charge on the basis that they did not install the most recent error free module..

Keep in mind that the dealer most likely knows MUCH LESS than the people here and at bimmernav.com... I don't think they have a clue that there are multiple revs of these modules.

A

1 - 20 of 23 Posts