BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see in all the dyno's the rwhp increases but haven't been able to find in a thread(i'm sure it's there...sorry) what that equates to in ENGINE hp. I just did my first mod., char. filter removal and RPI scoops, filters on backorder(Eloy is a great guy to work with). Both were very straightforward to complete. Only part that was a little difficult was releasing the pin on the inside of the grills. Big hands I guess. Anyway, a friend of mine asked me how much ENGINE hp does it add. From 507hp to ????. Is the percentage increase the same as the dyno rwhp? The other question is has anyone run against a bone stock from 50mph-whatever speed to see what the scoops, filter removal does on the street. Thanks guys for all the input and instructions/hints. Next project is the cd changer out, Ipod in conversion.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Are you talking about your wiper "motor" ??

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can that be made quicker?:cheers:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only 15? Doesn't Dinan make something faster...:cheers: I actually removed the wipers to cut down on drag

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well... I am thinking to go one better and take the windscreen off completely!
That should increase the volume of air entering the cabin, therefore it can blow my pants off at a relatively low speed!!!
God I should have been a Formula 1 engineer!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice!:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Running a stocker won't prove anything as all engines produce slightly different amounts of the good stuff (bhp). What you should have done is taken a whp dyno then done one after your light mods.

Have you noticed anything seat of the pants and aurally?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
do you mean ...anally ????

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I see in all the dyno's the rwhp increases but haven't been able to find in a thread(i'm sure it's there...sorry) what that equates to in ENGINE hp. I just did my first mod., char. filter removal and RPI scoops, filters on backorder(Eloy is a great guy to work with). Both were very straightforward to complete. Only part that was a little difficult was releasing the pin on the inside of the grills. Big hands I guess. Anyway, a friend of mine asked me how much ENGINE hp does it add. From 507hp to ????. Is the percentage increase the same as the dyno rwhp? The other question is has anyone run against a bone stock from 50mph-whatever speed to see what the scoops, filter removal does on the street. Thanks guys for all the input and instructions/hints. Next project is the cd changer out, Ipod in conversion.
Chakka - Kan,

Just divide the amount of rwhp increase by the proposed drivetrain effeciency. The efficiency is determined by taking 100 - drivetrain loss. Typically speculated to be in the 15% range.

Therefore take the amount of your rwhp gain and divide by .85

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank for the info. The engine does seem to breathe better, i'm trying to get a friend of mine to do a side by side stock vs. light mods. I talked to Eloy yesterday and he also suggested running the car hard to get the ECU used to certain throttle positions which will help in power a bit as well. Amazing the technololgy in this car......love the ///M

·
Registered
470 Posts
i've actually have the same things done plus the filters. however, i ran my friends m5 when i had my charcoal filters removed to great a "base line" for future mods. He has his filters in and rides on stock 19'' while i have my removed and have 20". when we ran the cars were identical. we did a few highway runs. everything was set the same on both cars and we ran in s5 to eliminate driver error. we are currently waiting for the weather to improve to run again with the rpi scoops and bmc filter see the difference. i will hopefully post videos of this soon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. In talking to Eloy yesterday he said filters removed only added a couple horsepower, but the scoops and filter are showing around 10-12hp gain throughout the powerband. I'd be curious to see if we come up with the same test results. The filters out really is amazing the feeling the car has. Are you going to do the blockoff plates as well? I haven't put mine in yet.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
12hp is not bad considering what its costs...

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
12hp is not bad considering what its costs...
12hp is pretty damn good for what it costs.. i just made it though my 1200mi service so ill be removing the char filters soon. then a few months after (not) ill be ordering the scoops & filters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts