BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of some motors being stronger than others, but how much so? Is it possible for two stock M motors to be 10+ hp different?

I realize that most of us will never be able to dyno two cars out of the factory, and therefore things like spark plugs, mileage, fluids, etc... will make a difference in what would otherwise be considered a "stock" car.

So forget the differences that may arise from ownership, can two hand-built motors out of the factory be 10 or more hp off from each other?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
I beleive in Germany an engine can be within +-3% of the stated ppower output. I beleive not any engine can be identical in power since it is all too many factors.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
That said, if I would choose I would choose a 2010 BMW M5 V10 of the last model year, it makes sense that is these engines BMW / Mahle etc has the most experience building. So last model year is always the best I would say.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I've heard of some motors being stronger than others, but how much so? Is it possible for two stock M motors to be 10+ hp different?

I realize that most of us will never be able to dyno two cars out of the factory, and therefore things like spark plugs, mileage, fluids, etc... will make a difference in what would otherwise be considered a "stock" car.

So forget the differences that may arise from ownership, can two hand-built motors out of the factory be 10 or more hp off from each other?
Quite possible, especially given the output of this motor. 10hp is only a 2% difference - there's a bigger power influx from the temperature change from noon to midnight...

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty that my 2010 is faster then my 2007, both were stock, and both were run at the track with the same temperatures and climate. Only difference could be the break in procedure was done by myself on the 2010, and I have no idea how it was done on the 2007 because I bought that one used.

There was a staggering .2 sec difference in the 1/4 mile, and the car feels much stronger. 60' times were the same in both cars, only difference was after the 1/8 mile the 2010 pulls faster and harder....maybe coincidence? Not sure, but feels better anyway :)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
The basic differences between "Motors" are: how much h.p. they have , how much torque they produce and how many amps they draw at start up or running.....load or no load...Engines are a totally different animal.....

Reactions: BFDD

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doh! I broke one of my own rules, never refer to an engine as a motor and then I go and do it! Thanks for the fact check. Glad to know other people are as specific as I am.

Engine, engine, engine.... Same question!

:)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Glad to see you actually know the difference....some people actually don't !!!!!!!!!!!

·
4,395 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty that my 2010 is faster then my 2007, both were stock, and both were run at the track with the same temperatures and climate. Only difference could be the break in procedure was done by myself on the 2010, and I have no idea how it was done on the 2007 because I bought that one used.

There was a staggering .2 sec difference in the 1/4 mile, and the car feels much stronger. 60' times were the same in both cars, only difference was after the 1/8 mile the 2010 pulls faster and harder....maybe coincidence? Not sure, but feels better anyway :)
wouldn't that be hard to judge since one is older, probably more miles

i.e.

if a 2006 came off the assembly line and through a worm hole that brought it right next to a then present day 2010 also coming off the line - wouldn't the 2006 be faster - people have complained software updates have softened their cars and emissions regulations could mean mapping is more economical?

edit: build quality would be the one thing that gets better with age when defects/alternatives are discovered and amended with the next batch

·
Registered
216 Posts
wouldn't that be hard to judge since one is older, probably more miles

i.e.

if a 2006 came off the assembly line and through a worm hole that brought it right next to a then present day 2010 also coming off the line - wouldn't the 2006 be faster - people have complained software updates have softened their cars and emissions regulations could mean mapping is more economical?

edit: build quality would be the one thing that gets better with age when defects/alternatives are discovered and amended with the next batch
Build quality can actually get worse as manufacturers look for ways to cut costs on current models. Realibility might go up as some bugs are taken care of.

This was really bad with the MkV GTI that I had. My early 2007 model had noticably nicer materials and features compared to similarly priced late 2007 model. My early steering wheel buttons were much nicer, and later models had a fake middle airvent by the windshield (mine was functional) as well as no headlight washers for HID lights on late 07 models. VW got really bad about this since they were not making much money on the cars originally.

BMW might not have the same strategy as VW, just look at LCIs. But in manufaturing you are always looking at ways to cut costs (doesn't ahve to come at a price of quality).

They increase the profit on outgoing models without raising price too much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The basic differences between "Motors" are: how much h.p. they have , how much torque they produce and how many amps they draw at start up or running.....load or no load...Engines are a totally different animal.....
Thanks unfoundhorsepower...you made me smile, thinking about my father (a classic Mechanical Engineer) who would always correct me or my brother if we said motor when talking about an engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts