BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just put the B.T through the MOT today and she passed but had a few niggles also!

The Tester stated it just passed the emissions test Would the CAT cause this if it's on it's last legs?

He also noted that there was a slight weeping from the n/s rear shock, I understand that these are self levellers and probably cost an arm and a leg. Has anyone replaced these shocks (like for like) or just replaced them with 'non levelling shocks'.

Thank you all

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
dont worry about the weeping most bts do it....emissions should not be a problem, did he know what the emission should be and do you know what it was

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

I am just about to replace my rear suspension on my biturbo. I have been in contact with Alpina and they say that the original suspension can not be bought any more. They recommened a set of BWM self-leveling dampers instead. I have the exact specification at home if you are interested. The good thing is that the replacement cost is cut in half, about 800 Euro. I have ordered them and they will be put on the car next week.

/Magnus

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you swederunner yes I would be interested in the info for the dampers also if you could supply me with a part numbers.
Regards

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Very interesting i got to see which car they coming from...

·
Registered
41 Posts
The parts numbers are 37 1 21 138 979 and 37 1 21 138 980, it is M-sportfahrwerk for example BNME e34 540. The springs can still be bought from Alpina, but they are very expensive. Anyone have ideas about other springs suitable for the biturbo? I want to keep the same height on the car as present.

/Magnus

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The parts numbers are 37 1 21 138 979 and 37 1 21 138 980, it is M-sportfahrwerk for example BNME e34 540. The springs can still be bought from Alpina, but they are very expensive. Anyone have ideas about other springs suitable for the biturbo? I want to keep the same height on the car as present.

/Magnus
had a feeling they would be from the 540...whats wrong with your springs if they are ok you should be able to use the same springs

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When replacing the shocks do you need to replace anything else in the 'self levelling' system

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
yes you will when you take old ones off hoses and stuff will almost certainly have to be replaced as they will break... end result keep some extra cash aside alot of it....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
thanks! I think i will replace everything but the springs (given that they are not broken).
swede your springs should be fine, they are very very good springs

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you both do you have any idea about 'play' in the steering? she's had that since i bought her it hasn't got any worse over the years and you just get used to it.

It does get brought up on MOT though.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dont worry about the weeping most bts do it....emissions should not be a problem, did he know what the emission should be and do you know what it was
M5Killer i don't have the figures to hand but the 'MOT Tester' didn't know what the readings should be. All he said when he showed me areas which needed attention at some time was she failed on the first test so had to put it through a stringent test???.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

/Magnus
I think the E34 M5 spring should also be an alternative

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi, the e34's all seem to develop play in the steering. There is a procedure to adjust the steering box but this cannot eliminate all wear and often seems to just change the weight of the steering. I was lucky enough to find a matching LHD steering box on e-bay as mine 'snatched' on centre, the replacement although still secondhand was much better than the original.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts