BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my most recent service (oil service), by yet another dealer, this time Henry Brothers in Glasgow.

It was booked in for the service and adjustment of the Steering Box, but was advised that they would not recommend it, as it can make the steering stick and can become dangerous, which seems logical, though so many of you guys on here have had it done. Seems strange that one dealer says they will adjust it, one says it can't be adjusted and one says that they would not recomend it and as such would not adjust it :eek:

Overall, I found them to be pleasant and cheap, by cheap I mean, I was charged £112 inc VAT which was quite a bit cheaper than my last Oil Service. What does concern me though, was that on my invoice, it detailed the oil as Synthetic (bulk), got a funny feeling this is a common oil to most other current models and as it's been mentioned several times on this board before, that is not the correct oil for our cars. No strange noises on start up from the chain tensioner or anything, so we'll just have to wait and see how the oil consumption compares to previous.

I also didn't like the fact that they didn't include the service/inspection check sheet, I suppose though that only really shows what should be checked and done and dose not prove anything really.

While in, I asked them to provide me with a couple of quotes, for replacing the steering box and also for replacing the clutch, both of which have been quoted by another dealer recently. Grassicks in Perth quoted £1800 for the Steering box and £500 for the clutch, The Brothers quoted £1200 for the Steering Box and £330 for the clutch. I find this very hard to believe, almost making me want to do the clutch just for the savings alone :hihi:
Note: Requested the quote for the steering box after they advised they would not adjust it!

One final note, they didn't advise of any issues that "may" require attention, unlike my previous expierence with Mr Park, now does that mean they didn't look, or is the car simply in genuine good mechanical condition :M5thumbs:

They did adjust my front tyre pressures though, FOC hiha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Twice I have had mine serviced by a main dealer and having forgotten to check, ended up with fully synthetic. Both times the car has run hotter, used the oil faster and I have changed it back to semi synthetic again after about 500 miles. I use a regular Castrol semi synthetic which seems to work out ok. What do you consider to be the "correct oil"?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just had an inspection 1 done by park lane and am very happy :cheers:

They too put "TWS" in and i will be changing this to RS 10/60 as this suits our cars better (car sounds more tappity) will be done this week :M5thumbs:

I still have no probs with them as this is the oil they are informed should be put in.(it is a lot more to buy too)

They also done my 740i in the same week (insp 1 as well) and put SLX in that

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
orinoco said:
Twice I have had mine serviced by a main dealer and having forgotten to check, ended up with fully synthetic. Both times the car has run hotter, used the oil faster and I have changed it back to semi synthetic again after about 500 miles. I use a regular Castrol semi synthetic which seems to work out ok. What do you consider to be the "correct oil"?
I've been topping up with Magnatec, which is 15w40 (I think)...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
plisken said:
I've been topping up with Magnatec, which is 15w40 (I think)...
Yes I use this too in my Touring and previously a London BMW dealer recommended this for my E30 M3, when I had the car. Rather than fully synthetic strange a "Stealership" saving me money.......humm

Car ran quieter and smoother also the oil lasted for a long time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Steve Mac said:
Just had an inspection 1 done by park lane and am very happy :cheers:

They too put "TWS" in and i will be changing this to RS 10/60 as this suits our cars better (car sounds more tappity) will be done this week :M5thumbs:

I still have no probs with them as this is the oil they are informed should be put in.(it is a lot more to buy too)

They also done my 740i in the same week (insp 1 as well) and put SLX in that

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Is that the Park Lane at 9 Elms in Battersea?

Just had my oil service done by Bexleys, they put Castrol RS 10 60 in. Runs cooler than some other oils so happy with that.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Steve,

TWS is another name for Castrol RS 10w60, so you can save yourself some wedge and not change it :cheers:

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Never knew that :confused2 (tws=rs)

And it was 9 elms :byebye:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Bryn said:
Steve,

TWS is another name for Castrol RS 10w60, so you can save yourself some wedge and not change it :cheers:

Cheers,
Bryn.
TWS is a new name for the old RS.
The new RS is different, and not as strong as the TWS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts