BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Barry for the main the best thing for now is changing out the projectors and using the Morimoto bulbs.

I am hearing this projector and a direct bolt on.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-h1-7-0.html
Thanks for the pointer, do you have any experience of those fitting in the E39 housing (or a write up). I'm aware of the EvoX-R and FX-R projectors fitting and someone in the UK has recently installed Morimoto mini D2S 4.0 but I can't find anything E39 specific for those mini H1 7.0s - are they any better than the other options?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the pointer, do you have any experience of those fitting in the E39 housing (or a write up). I'm aware of the EvoX-R and FX-R projectors fitting and someone in the UK has recently installed Morimoto mini D2S 4.0 but I can't find anything E39 specific for those mini H1 7.0s - are they any better than the other options?
My apologies BarryM,

The correct ones used for our E39's are the EvoX-R I think they have a 2.0 version of the EvoX as well that does not fit that well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I just installed the Mini D2S and it was plug and play, output is awesome.

Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can anyone help, do we still have to grind down the E39 socket for these to fit? Or can we buy adapters for them that will fit perfectly ?

If so shoot me a link to them.

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just installed the Mini D2S and it was plug and play, output is awesome
We did a side by side comparison with my standard xenons and one thing that surprised me is the mini D2S don't seem to give a much greater 'throw' on low beam but on high beam the bi-xenons blow the OEM lights away but most times I'm running round on low beams as I presume most other people are, so whilst an improvement perhaps not as much as I was hoping for. I'll post up some example photos when I get a chance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We did a side by side comparison with my standard xenons and one thing that surprised me is the mini D2S don't seem to give a much greater 'throw' on low beam but on high beam the bi-xenons blow the OEM lights away but most times I'm running round on low beams as I presume most other people are, so whilst an improvement perhaps not as much as I was hoping for. I'll post up some example photos when I get a chance.
BarryM,

You are not using the H7's ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
You are not using the H7's ?
I think H7 LEDs would be a nice addition for main beam but I'm also keen on some decent bi-xenons which I was comparing like for like. Having seen the mini D2S on main beam I don't think the H7 LEDs will have the same penetration

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think H7 LEDs would be a nice addition for main beam but I'm also keen on some decent bi-xenons which I was comparing like for like. Having seen the mini D2S on main beam I don't think the H7 LEDs will have the same penetration
But they are brighter as High beams right ?

What about a good spread for the low beams ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
But they are brighter as High beams right ?

What about a good spread for the low beams ?
I don't have the LED bulbs but on the basis they're fitted to the OEM main reflector I don't think they will be as good as the bi-xenon main, here's 2 photos showing dip and main with the OEM xenon & halogen H7 and the second photo is the mini D2s with main beam:

Paint OEM xenons + main halogen spread.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't have the LED bulbs but on the basis they're fitted to the OEM main reflector I don't think they will be as good as the bi-xenon main, here's 2 photos showing dip and main with the OEM xenon & halogen H7 and the second photo is the mini D2s with main beam:

View attachment 883462
Both shots look nice,

The 2nd one looks like it can spread more light of distance.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Back from the dead! I'm wondering if the OP (or anyone who's done this) can speak to the longevity of the setup. I love the idea of the increased output of the LED headlights as well as the faster light-up time, but I'm particularly concerned about heat damaging the hi-beam reflector bowls over time. I've got a refurb'd set of lights on the bench ready to go on the car, and I'm pretty interested to do the LED upgrade, but the guy who did the refurb job advised me about the potential for the heat problem and suggested that if I do it I ought to go with LED units that have good sized heat-sinks/fans included.

Any info appreciated!

·
Registered
72 Posts
LED bulb generally runs cooler than halogen and much cooler than HID.

However, the LEDs with the fans are typically better than those without or with just a heat sink and utilize better LEDs. LEDs need to run at a set range, or they burn out. Its rare to find a LED sans fan or sink that will run bright enough. The flip chip or ZES put out the best light ATM.

There are adapters available now to place the H7 in that will fit the socket, so no cutting the old socket is needed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for the input. I had seen the adapters somewhere and plan to use them if I go forward with the project. I was looking at these, I'd be grateful for any thoughts:

These seem to be the replacement for the units used in the OP. They have fans (magnetic levitating fans!) and I imagine should run OK.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It seems like Morimoto discontinued the bulbs described here and launched their next version:
Curious if anyone has tried this new bulb to see if it fits. I am guessing that it should be fine, but curious if anyone can confirm that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys quick remark here.

Those adapters you linked do not work in my experience on the LED's have you done anything to modify them to fit?

-Ahmad

LED bulb generally runs cooler than halogen and much cooler than HID.

However, the LEDs with the fans are typically better than those without or with just a heat sink and utilize better LEDs. LEDs need to run at a set range, or they burn out. Its rare to find a LED sans fan or sink that will run bright enough. The flip chip or ZES put out the best light ATM.

There are adapters available now to place the H7 in that will fit the socket, so no cutting the old socket is needed.

View attachment 940703

·
Registered
483 Posts
In what way do they not work? I haven't moved forward with this yet but I was planning to use them (or a product like them).

41 - 60 of 60 Posts