BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to do.. I have 5 cars and Im getting to a point to where I want to simplify my life (and bills)
Heres my current situation; Im selling my vw Vanagon. I need my tacoma for work so i can't sell it. My wrx wagon is way to fun and practical to get rid of. Then theres my toyota sunrader rv which i use all the time so can't get rid of that..
That leaves the m5. She sits in the Garage like a stoic piece of art. I never get over the feeling when I look at her.. Its the only vehicle I truly care about every detail. Its kind of maddening. I notice every scratch, get paranoid in traffic, scowling at old ladies who park to close, worry about her when Im out of town or parked overnight out of the garage..
A few scratches or rock chips on the subaru or tacoma, no big D.. The m5 though, family members and friends know not to touch the paint or drag luggage in or out of or get a tongue lashing.. With all my other rig's i could care less.. Which brings me to my point. How long can I hold up to the maddening fiendish existence that is owning a e34 m5? Its so rewarding in ways but also equally stressful.
I keep thinking about how for the rest of my life Im going to have to provide for, protect and shelter my big german baby. Im 30 now, Its hard to imagine owning this car for 30 years.. I don't have a wife or kids and I imagine if I keep the car it will stay that way, haha.
Anyways guys I hope I wasn't rambling I figured I could vent to some people that know my situation. Thanks and pardon the bad grammar. Let me know what you think
James

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm with Eero! I do use mine most days but do park very carefully. It's the only car that's prompted me to get out of it to remonstrate with the guy behind who was way too close for comfort.

·
Registered
496 Posts
James,
I am you 35 years later. Retired, down to 4 cars. Can't see myself owning only 3!!
Married and the wives DD/garaged car is a 1998, 740i, her dream car. She takes good care of the car, parking away form others and using a car cover during summer at work and the 7 is in excellent condition with 175k mi. I do the maintenance and the wife appreciates it by doing the little things she can do to minimize the wear & tear and keep the 7 in better cosmetic condition than any 15 year old constantly used Daily Driver, I have ever seen!! I anticipate at 20 years we'll get a new wifemobile..

2009, Tacoma is my DD/hauler, kept outdoor, no attachment- other than it is a great performing 4-cylinder truck!! Also have a utility trailer if I need to haul more than the truck can carry.

Garage Queens/road trip cars:
1991, M5 owned since new, 87k mi. drove 100 miles between last two 2-year emissions tests. The M5 was the road trip car until the 850 purchase in 2004 and now the M5 gets more upgrades than oil changes. 6-speed is next. I plan on putting the M5 back into the road trip duties once I have more time to get a few PM's done.
I'm worried about the M5, so I rarely park in a lot, am concerned it will get totaled after I have put money/time in her than I could ever get for her so I insured the M5 with Hagerty ($40k stated value) to take the pressure off!!
1997 850, owned since 2004 w/43k mi. now 78K & Pristine. A super car, with some suspension tuning, big brakes it is faster than the M5, acceleration & cornering, but just doesn't have the primitive Sport but sophisticated feel of the M5.

The M5 & 850 both have an "Ultimate Driving Machine" personality I love and are long term vehicles for me.
You only live once and I could sell them and get an Aston Martin V12, M6, M5 or fast something but that would be putting all my eggs in 1 basket!!
As with wives, it is cheaper to keep her!! Maintenance/upgrades are less expensive than a new car - that will also get old!!
So, I'll just keep enjoying what I have.. the more the merrier!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts