BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The board has it's fair share of threads relating to suspension, however a search didn't throw up much information on the self levelling system.

I have just noticed a pool of fluid under the rear centre of the car and suspected it to be a leaking seal on the differential. However it is a leak in the self levelling valve? :confused:

Anyone had similar problems or shed some light on repairs in this area. What is the prognosis if I keep running it till I get a fix sorted out.
Thanks
cherrsagai

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Brian M5 said:
The board has it's fair share of threads relating to suspension, however a search didn't throw up much information on the self levelling system.

I have just noticed a pool of fluid under the rear centre of the car and suspected it to be a leaking seal on the differential. However it is a leak in the self levelling valve? :confused:

Anyone had similar problems or shed some light on repairs in this area. What is the prognosis if I keep running it till I get a fix sorted out.
Thanks
cherrsagai
Yes Brian
This part lets go & dumps most of the systems CHF 111S on the floor.
No suspension & stranded car.
Get it done asap. New part reqd as well as pipes sometimes.
The ride height will need resetting & checking on the KDS geometry machine to.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Farrel.

Is this a job for a BMW dealer only then or is it better (more economical) to have the valve fitted and then have the KDS setup by a dealer later. Looks like there is an access problem getting to the bits and pieces for changing or repair. The exhaust maybe has to come off at the rear for example.

I'm just recovering from an Inspection II which broke the £1000 barrier.
Wait - Barrier is maybe too strong a word for repairs to an M5 as it does not appear to be much of a barrier at all.

Also is LHM fluid ok as replacement (I have some of that kicking about from my Citroen forays) or is CHF 11S a required BMW exclusive fluid.

I've parked it up in the meantime to avoid being stranded somewhere. Saves looking for Safety Camera Partnership Vehicles whenever I'm out and about though.
:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Hi Brian
CHF 111 S is the only hydraulic fluid I would consider using. It supports the steering & suspension system. I know the stuff is expensive but would not recommend diversifying as there may be other additives in small enough quantities to not require notification on the tin. I always keep at tin of CHF 111 S at home just in case.

Depending on how the exhaust lies in your car, you may be able to drop it off the hangers & support it whilst you remove the self levelling accumilator.
The pipe work is usually rotten to so watch for that.

The ride height will need resetting. You can set this by measurement.
Im doing this from memory but I believe you can take a vertical measurement from the wheel centre to the lip of the wheel arch. The vehicle should be laden when the adjustment to the rod is made. The exact figures have been discussed on the forum & there are threads on this forum as well as info within the E34 M5 Faq.

The only other way is to put it through the KDS but is quite exteme if no other aspects of the geometry require checking.

I apologise for my vague reply as im at work under the kosh at the moment.

Regards
Farrell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts