BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looky what I got done last week....

Many initial thoughts:

Oval tips are the only way to go IMO. Looks much more aggressive and sets it apart from other Beasts (and lets face it: stealth is out the window with this setup). First pic shows the difference b/w the Race and stock. I saw the guys at Wheel Concepts in Staten Island install them. Been said before, but I’ll say it again: there is NO WAY to avoid the tips contacting the rear valence. Don’t think anyone has reported scorching or melting, so I won’t worry about it.

Yeah, it’s VERY LOUD. Much louder it seems as compared to when I sat in Dinodeal’s car WITH the x-pipe. When I started the car right after I had it installed, I sat there for a moment and thought “Holy ****e, I made a HUGE mistake.” And this was with only idling the car. But to confirm what’s already been said, it’s extremely loud on cold start but quiets down a bit after a few minutes of driving. I’m just surprised I don’t set off all the car alarms in my garage every morning. Once warmed up, idle is almost as quite as stock. VIDEO of my 1st startup leaving the installer. Turn up the volume to get a good sense of what it’s like and you can imagine the horror on my face.:eek:

It’s louder at very specific rpms and throttle positions. In particular, exactly at 1500 which can be a bit annoying since there’s no way to avoid this starting or coming to a stop. Just have to speed thru this point on the tach to get the volume down. Also happens around 3100. Conversely, there are very quiet points in the rev band (2500 and 3500) where you can’t even tell it’s back there.
However, it’s always loud when mashing on the throttle, regardless of the rpms.. Interestingly though, light pressure on the pedal while cruising dampens the sound.

My gas mileage has dramatically improved! I’m definitely short shifting more now to get out of 1st and 2nd faster when the volume is highest. I’ve been using 7th gear a whole lot more than before to get into a cruising speed where I don’t have to keep my foot hard on the pedal.

Burbling/crackling is very minimal. Only happens when slowing down and the revs drop to around 2100 rpms. It’s only for a second or two and not like the fart cans you hear on Hondas.

Going thru tunnels is magicallovelove The sound in a tunnel or short underpass while on the throttle is the best sound one could ever imagine! I even turned around a few times to go thru one around my house.

Overtaking on the highway is even more fun now. Dropping down a gear or two, hearing the throttle blip and the revs jump (which sounds amazing with stock pipes and 10x better with the Eisenmann) and the exhaust scream as I stomp on the pedal truly makes the car feel and sound like an F1 car. While it’s probably been established that there are no appreciable hp gains with only the cans, it certainly feels faster.

It’s a chick magnet! Okay, maybe that’s overstating it. A guy friend of mine giggled like a little girl when he heard it. Close enough. And at least the GF didn’t freak out. Phew. And she HATES loud cars. Since she’s usually my only passenger, it was important that it didn’t drive her crazy. Gotta love herJ

Which brings me to my next observation: it seems significantly quieter in the passenger seat. I let my friend drive the car on some stretches of road at WOT and the volume was noticeably less riding shotgun. Probably why I didn’t think Dinodeal’s or glowrider’s cars were that loud when I sat in them. Anyone know why that would be?

So, will I keep it? Definitely, for a little while at least. Some others have said that they get used to the sound. Don’t know whether it’s the exhaust getting quieter or the drivers becoming increasingly deaf, but it’s only been 3 days and it already seems a little (and I mean a little) more mellow.
If you’re looking for stealth and/or are timid about attracting attention, then this is not for you. If this car is your daily driver (it is mine), honestly, it may become a bit much if you’re not in the mood. If you’re looking to make the car more edgy and aggressive, then this is a must have mod. For me, if anything, the necessity to drive around hospitals may make this a difficult mod to keep, but otherwise, I don’t care about the attention. I’ve had more thumbs up from strangers in the last 3 days than the last 3 months:thumbsup: .

Thanks Dino for trusting me to drive his badass LOUD car, TCM and BostonRocket for their input, extassy and V10Beast for recommending Wheel Concepts in Staten Island who did a good job with the installation, and SANguru for the cans.

Sorry for the long post. If anyone is still riding the fence about an exhaust, I'd be happy to take more video/audio in different situations.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
You did it!!!!! Yes!!! I'm happy for you man, you will love it.

I love the thread you wrote, all very true and my sentiments exactly....especially the bit about tunnels lololol I find myself going through the battery park tunnel back and forth and scaring people out of the way:eek: :M5launch:

Cant wait until we all get together extassy, glowrider, you and myself OMG!! It's going to sound like the deck of an aircraft carrier!:applause: :applause:

·
Registered
665 Posts
PLease make video while driving the car with windows closed! Also if you could make video while sitting in the back seat, I carry a daughter sometimes and would wanna know if it would be too loud at the back!

·
Registered
445 Posts
looks great Ed. My M5 sounds hella wimpy now and it's true, my gas mileage has gotten quite a bit worse. The stock cans are very restrictive. Have fun and enjoy the sound and the stares that you get. :)

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
labelexec said:
I have round tips now. Could I buy Oval and change them out?
Not sure what you mean. Change only the tips or the whole muffler?

DinodealM5 said:
You did it!!!!! Yes!!! I'm happy for you man, you will love it.

I love the thread you wrote, all very true and my sentiments exactly....especially the bit about tunnels lololol I find myself going through the battery park tunnel back and forth and scaring people out of the way:eek: :M5launch:

Cant wait until we all get together extassy, glowrider, you and myself OMG!! It's going to sound like the deck of an aircraft carrier!:applause: :applause:
Thanks man. Would have never taken the leap if I didn't hear your car first. And yes, Saturday is gonna be LOUD!:) But you forgot Simon. He should have his new setup by then as well.

MGUY said:
PLease make video while driving the car with windows closed! Also if you could make video while sitting in the back seat, I carry a daughter sometimes and would wanna know if it would be too loud at the back!
I'll do my best with the first one, but the second will be kinda difficult. I would venture to guess that if your daughter is very young, this setup will be too loud.

SANguru said:
looks great Ed. My M5 sounds hella wimpy now and it's true, my gas mileage has gotten quite a bit worse. The stock cans are very restrictive. Have fun and enjoy the sound and the stares that you get.
Thanks. I won't feel too bad for you since you have the CS that's probably as loud as a full headers-back setup.:) Not only restrictive but heavy as well. I didn't get a chance to weigh them, but the difference is very noticible when you pick them up.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
MGUY said:
I also had that same concern for my daughther and was afraid the E Race would have been too over the top for her.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Anyone see the price differential now between the oval and round tips? Eisenhaus wants just under $2400 for round, where ovals are almost $3000!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mcvaughan said:
Anyone see the price differential now between the oval and round tips? Eisenhaus wants just under $2400 for round, where ovals are almost $3000!
Just smart business practice on the part of Eisenhaus. The only difference b/w the two exhausts is the oval tip attachment, but can manage to eek out $600 more since people will pay for the aesthetics (fortunately, I didn't pay that much).

·
Registered
61 Posts
orlandom5 said:
i got E maisterschaft 5 days ago and its awsome
I also got the Meisterschaft but only because I wanted the Lemans tips. Why did you get this one over the standard race? I haven't seen anyone else get this one.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WYBE2ND said:
I also got the Meisterschaft but only because I wanted the Lemans tips. Why did you get this one over the standard race? I haven't seen anyone else get this one.
Wow. That is gonna be one tricked out car on day one.
Have you heard the difference b/w the regular race and the Meisterschaft? Curious to know how much louder it is b/c I certainly couldn't tolerate any more volume.

·
Registered
61 Posts
bmwbonehead said:
Wow. That is gonna be one tricked out car on day one.
Have you heard the difference b/w the regular race and the Meisterschaft? Curious to know how much louder it is b/c I certainly couldn't tolerate any more volume.
Everything is sitting at Evosport. The wait is driving me crazy. I'm heading over to their shop today and I'll see if I can get some video of their car with the exhaust on. I haven't heard the difference yet. I really don't want it any louder than the race but I love the Lemans tips.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I weighed it. It's about a 30 lb difference between the 2 sides. Pretty significant.

bmwbonehead said:
Not sure what you mean. Change only the tips or the whole muffler?

Thanks man. Would have never taken the leap if I didn't hear your car first. And yes, Saturday is gonna be LOUD!:) But you forgot Simon. He should have his new setup by then as well.

I'll do my best with the first one, but the second will be kinda difficult. I would venture to guess that if your daughter is very young, this setup will be too loud.

Thanks. I won't feel too bad for you since you have the CS that's probably as loud as a full headers-back setup.:) Not only restrictive but heavy as well. I didn't get a chance to weigh them, but the difference is very noticible when you pick them up.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WYBE2ND said:
Everything is sitting at Evosport. The wait is driving me crazy. I'm heading over to their shop today and I'll see if I can get some video of their car with the exhaust on. I haven't heard the difference yet. I really don't want it any louder than the race but I love the Lemans tips.
I would try to get into a car with the Meisterschafts before committing to it. Installers I have spoken to and from what I've heard have said while the quality and craftsmanship are superior to the regular race cans, it IS louder.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I am glad I could help you with your dilemna. If I decide to get the two other exhaust segments from Eisenmann, I will make sure to let you know what I think about it too.

'Rocket

1 - 20 of 60 Posts