BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgot to add: what if the paint was damaged and carbon black metalic paint color not match to my expectations?
Can BMWNA get me a new car w/o wait time?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Banned
121 Posts
Chris,

If I were you, I might refuse the delivery depending on the extent of the damage. Did they describe to you the extent of the damage? I think it is their duty to report what actually happened to you.. after all, you're the owner of the car. Was it because someone took it for a spin and crashed the car as a result?

·
Banned
121 Posts
Oh yeah,

if you refuse the delivery, force your dealer to put you on the next production order (I believe that you have the right to do so). You can get your car in another month or two.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still waiting for the full repair order details (someone has to physically look at the file at the port of entry). I wonder of the report will fully disclose what had happened. You just never know what these guyes do down there (imagine a 50 vehicle M5 Spin Party on the boat after all other cars have been disembarked....Brrrr.....)
I will probably refuse the car if they can get me a production slot immediately.
Will keep you posted.
Chris

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you can't get to see it then get them or preferably independent agent to take detailed photos of the car before repair so that you can ascertain the extent of the damage. You will also then know where to look on the car to check the quality of the repair. If you agree to accept it then you need to negotiate some compensation or if you are unhappy then reject the car and insist that BMW find you a similar specced car asap. Remember this is an expensive item you are purchasing from a reputable supplier and you should not have accept a damaged/repaired car unless you are 100% happy and compensated for possible future problems.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
158 Posts
<<a work order was issued and car is waiting for parts at port of entry>>>

Dude - Refuse the car. I can't imagine what sort of damage was done that they had to order parts. You're not talking about a paint scratch here. Best case they're replacing a quarter panel from scratch because it got whacked. Wost case you can do your own math on.

Blue Max is right - you're paying a lot of money for a factory-pristine, new vehicle; not a refurbished unit.

Good luck.
Shawn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your valuable input.
I agree 100% that if any body work had to have been done, they will have to get me a new car and that as fast as possible.
I had bought a brand new CLK430 which, after a year, I found out had the whole door painted. Guess what: the dealer did not disclose it to me. With this and my current M5 order story, I am pursuing the CLK430 story with the dealer and am pissed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The scoop: both q-panels painted, hood replaced.
No way I am taking delivery of this car!
The earliest production date they can get me is June.
I suggested to the dealer that I buy this car and then we swap at sticker once the new one comes in July-he said he would think about it.
But then again, wouldn't it make sense to get 2001 Sept production model?
I will look at the car once it comes in but psychological damage has already been done even if the car is perfect.
Your thoughts guys?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think your proposal is quite reasonable if I understand it correct:
- you take this "refurbished" car
- they order you a new car to arrive July
- you swap (cashless xact) cars in July

Even if you put 1K per month miles on it between now and then, the dealer should be able to turn around and sell it for sticker in July (they'll just claim it was a demo model).

Only obvious problem is that you'll need to worry about how the taxes (sales and luxury) get dealt with. You're talking real money there. I don't know what invoice is on these babies, but I'll bet the markup is more than the sum of sales+luxury tax. So the dealer sucks it up on the new car and probably still makes a reasonable return on BOTH cars.

Good luck!
Shawn

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Well, the thing about waiting until the September production is that you don't know if they are going to be making any changes. considering that they didn't change the M coupe and M roadster when the Z3 was freshened, I don't think that the M5 will be affected by any changes. If you are thinking about resale, then 2001 will always be better than 2000, but can you wait that long? I would just take the new car coming in June/July.
I don't know if your dealer will go through with the swap idea, because most dealers won't want to go through all of that. I think it totally makes sense for you to suggest it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm curious - who's responsible for the damage? Who caused it? Was it BMW or some transport agent? In the latter case, BMW should have loads of insurance and all sorts of nasties in their contracts with their shippers. In the former case this shouldn't be an issue.

This just shouldn't be your problem to deal with - it's BMW's. And if the damage was that extensive, isn't it extremely reasonable for BMW to bend over backwards for you? This is the 2nd most expensive car they sell in the US after all (right?) - this is not a market of college students stretching to afford a 323.

I remember when I was shopping for my previous car - I was looking at the 528 and the E320 [I ended up with an A4, Roman :)] and BMW made a big deal about how they ship their cars in covered trucks, which they claimed MB did not. BFD if they're getting trashed on the way across the pond!

Sheesh.

I know I don't have all the data, but this is very disheartening to hear about - that BMW is totally making this your problem and not stepping up to the plate to plead your forgiveness and make you 100% whole on reasonable terms.

Question: Are cars routinely f'd up in transit like this - and most consumers just never know about it? How many 911's get "reconstructed" at port?

Upsettedly,
Shawn

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chris,

I would not accept the car. You paid a lot of money for a perfect car. It would just eat at you in the long run. Now, if the dealer wants to knock off some dollar amount or give you other incentives to which you can agree (and accept the fact the car was damaged and repainted)that may be to your advantage.

------------------

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My .02C... I would'nt even consider taking delivery of such a car. I'm paying for a factory fresh brand new, impecable car. That's what I expect to take delivery of.

This is not the last M5 to be produced. Just wait for the next one. The dealer & NA should be able to get you a car within a month.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It feels so good to have such understanding audience. If only my wife could share your compassion!
I think waiting for 2001 model (vide October delivery) will shorten my driving experience with this machine here in Chicago. The model changes might indeed be negligible.
The swap deal will have made me lose a few grand on gas guzzler and luxury taxes unless the dealer will not title the car (am i correct?.
The only issue is why would the Regional BMWNA Manager tell me he couldn't get me an earlier production date than June. Or could he?
In the meantime, I will continue my dream.
As they say, the best part is in waiting...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with everyone on the board. ou paid $$ for a new product. Was it just the delay that alerted you or do they legally have to tell you? Makes me nervous as I am now at the top of the list.

I heard there are no changes for 2001

Nick

·
Registered
73 Posts
Chris, I agree with the Board. I also know the "pain" you are going through. My Black M5 , 1300 miles old was broadsided by an idiot who ran a red light. Fortunately, I was not hurt, but the car took $5000 dollars damage to the door, door pin, and front driver's fender. I found out a lot about new car damage during my investigation with the local dealer when asking them about who should repair the car. I live only 10 miles from the Spartanburg plant and fortunately, I have a factory authorized repair facility right here. BUT, they told me that NEW cars come in with damage quite regularly - scratches, dents, etc. They are repaired and sold as new. At least you found out about the damage. I would refuse the car and get the replacement. The psychological part of the thing will always be over your shoulder if you accept the car. I am asking around about the devaluation of my car due to the damage. I know what it was worth before the accident, but what is it worth now? What would yours be worth after you took delivery? Sorry about your dilemma.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts