BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like some others, I have been vascillating between interlagos and one or two other colors, and had been leaning toward interlagos. A few weeks ago, I went by the dealer when it had an M3 Comp Package in interlagos. It was a bright sunny day. The color looked striking, and I thought that I had allayed one of my biggest concerns about interlagos -- that it would look too purple. It looked very bright but not very purple in these lighting conditions. I had had less concern about interlagos on cloudy days, since many photos posted here -- most notably Gustav's great photos from his weekend -- made it appear that interlagos is much more subdued under cloudy skies. Immediately after that first interlagos M3 viewing, I thought I decided to order the M5 in interlagos. However, later I decided that it was a little too bright a color for the M5 given my tastes and desire to not have a color that was too loud. I decided to go with silver grey.

Today, I stopped by the dealer again to see a 530 in silver grey. My helpful dealer mentioned that an interlagos M3 was in the back. It was cloudy and close to sunset. I was surprised by how purple the car looked -- much more so than most (or even all) of the photos I have seen. By no means unattractive. On the contrary, interlagos does what I think it was meant to do -- to be extraordinarily eye-catching and bright. I in no way intend to discourage anyone who is considering it from ordering it. I am sure that those who decide on it will be very pleased. I mention this primarily for those on the fence, and suggest strongly that they find an interlagos M3 (or, later, an interlagos M5 if they will be ordering after the first cars arrive), and look at it closely both in bright and darker conditions. Most photos do not convey the nature of this color completely accurately. I think this due diligence will either confirm the buyer's preference for interlagos or sway him to one of the more subtle colors.

·
Registered
418 Posts
MRichmond said:
Like some others, I have been vascillating between interlagos and one or two other colors, and had been leaning toward interlagos. A few weeks ago, I went by the dealer when it had an M3 Comp Package in interlagos. It was a bright sunny day. The color looked striking, and I thought that I had allayed one of my biggest concerns about interlagos -- that it would look too purple. It looked very bright but not very purple in these lighting conditions. I had had less concern about interlagos on cloudy days, since many photos posted here -- most notably Gustav's great photos from his weekend -- made it appear that interlagos is much more subdued under cloudy skies. Immediately after that first interlagos M3 viewing, I thought I decided to order the M5 in interlagos. However, later I decided that it was a little too bright a color for the M5 given my tastes and desire to not have a color that was too loud. I decided to go with silver grey.

Today, I stopped by the dealer again to see a 530 in silver grey. My helpful dealer mentioned that an interlagos M3 was in the back. It was cloudy and close to sunset. I was surprised by how purple the car looked -- much more so than most (or even all) of the photos I have seen. By no means unattractive. On the contrary, interlagos does what I think it was meant to do -- to be extraordinarily eye-catching and bright. I in no way intend to discourage anyone who is considering it from ordering it. I am sure that those who decide on it will be very pleased. I mention this primarily for those on the fence, and suggest strongly that they find an interlagos M3 (or, later, an interlagos M5 if they will be ordering after the first cars arrive), and look at it closely both in bright and darker conditions. Most photos do not convey the nature of this color completely accurately. I think this due diligence will either confirm the buyer's preference for interlagos or sway him to one of the more subtle colors.

I agree...someone interested in interlagos really should take a look at an M3 comp package car in person. There was one this past weekend at VIR for the O'fest club races. It was very sunny out and the color is absolutely stunning...but certainly more purple than any pics show (as others have noted). I personally will stick with Interlagos but it was good to get a feel for it in person. Some people may decide it is too much for them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks for the objective and informative analysis of this color choice. I was one of those "on the fence", but after reviewing the other available US colors, I thought it was the best choice for my taste.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
It's a very personal choice. I felt that Interlagos looked much better on smaller cars like the M3 and was just too loud and brash for the larger M5. I also find the colour is very two dimensional ('flat') and lacks any depth. It's a shame that this is the only standard blue colour that BMW offer :grrrrr:

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
M3Racer said:
I agree...someone interested in interlagos really should take a look at an M3 comp package car in person. There was one this past weekend at VIR for the O'fest club races. It was very sunny out and the color is absolutely stunning...but certainly more purple than any pics show (as others have noted). I personally will stick with Interlagos but it was good to get a feel for it in person. Some people may decide it is too much for them.
I saw that one sitting next to the Pagoda on Monday, and even in sunlight it looked a bit purple. I meant to get my LeMans Blue M5 lined up next to it and take a picture, but I forgot about it later. :sad1: I think I like LeMans Blue better. In some ways, Interlagos reminds me of my 1988 735i which was Royal Blue I think (much darker than Interlagos of course), but it looked very purple in some types of light.

I was talking with Barry from Charlotte this week, who is expecting his E60 soon (also is 1st on list at his dealer in Charlotte), and he ordered Saphire Black with the Indy Red interior. The more I have thought about it that seems like a nice combination. Also, it may be a bit loud, but I think the car looks great in various red colors.

Chuck

·
Registered
418 Posts
CSBM5 said:
I saw that one sitting next to the Pagoda on Monday, and even in sunlight it looked a bit purple. I meant to get my LeMans Blue M5 lined up next to it and take a picture, but I forgot about it later. :sad1: I think I like LeMans Blue better. In some ways, Interlagos reminds me of my 1988 735i which was Royal Blue I think (much darker than Interlagos of course), but it looked very purple in some types of light.

I was talking with Barry from Charlotte this week, who is expecting his E60 soon (also is 1st on list at his dealer in Charlotte), and he ordered Saphire Black with the Indy Red interior. The more I have thought about it that seems like a nice combination. Also, it may be a bit loud, but I think the car looks great in various red colors.

Chuck
Yeah, LeMans is great. I wish we could get it. Although I like Interlagos, LeMans is certainly less "risky" and looks great.

But hey, think about it, anyone who doesn't like Interlagos should think about the e46 M3 launch and how friggin' ugly the Laguna Seca blue is. Holy shiite.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
When I ordered my car three weeks ago they had a Competition package M3 in Interlagos and when I saw it that cinched it for me. I liked what i saw when compared to Grey, Black, Silverstone and White. The darker colors may subdue the styling as well.

I just ordered my 1:18 mini in Interlagos so now I can't change it> :wroom:

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
mhh said:
Apart from Silverstone of course! ;)
Interlagos is my color of choice as silver just doesn't do it for me...I've been around the one all week at Oktoberfest including sitting next to it last night at the banquet, and it just looks so bland. Others there thought it was beautiful. This is all such a personal choice that I'm sure everyone will be happy with the color they pick.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
M3Racer said:
But hey, think about it, anyone who doesn't like Interlagos should think about the e46 M3 launch and how friggin' ugly the Laguna Seca blue is. Holy shiite.
Too funny. And to think when the E46 M3 appeared, it seemed like they ALL were smurf blue!

I'm still on the fence, but between diametrical opoposites: Interlagos Blue or Sepang Bronze. Bling or Booooring! Seriously, every Sepang photo I've seen has me thinking about going the subdued-yet-unique route. I've got three weeks to decide......

·
Registered
234 Posts
MRichmond said:

I actually didn't like the Interlagos blue until I saw pic of the car with the Hartge 21 wheels and then the color looked more appealing to me......I am currently ordering a fully loaded M5 with Black Sapphire and black int.....But after seeing the interlagos blue with the 21 inch Hartge wheels, Im very confused. .....

I don't mind the maintenance of the black, but it looks like all the other 5 serices. As for the Interlagos blue its only offered on the M5 and not the other 5 series models and gives it a very unique look. But I have read from some of the other board members that the Interlagos Blue looks different in person compared to the pic's online. Can any one else comment.....Thanks.....Jay.S

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I saw an M3 competition in the dealers three week ago and liked it very much.

I can only say it was striking but not overly so.

There seem to be a growing like for deep blue metalic cars these days and this is just one more but nicely executed and definitely unique. :blabla:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TOPSUPRA said:
I actually didn't like the Interlagos blue until I saw pic of the car with the Hartge 21 wheels and then the color looked more appealing to me......I am currently ordering a fully loaded M5 with Black Sapphire and black int.....But after seeing the interlagos blue with the 21 inch Hartge wheels, Im very confused. .....

I don't mind the maintenance of the black, but it looks like all the other 5 serices. As for the Interlagos blue its only offered on the M5 and not the other 5 series models and gives it a very unique look. But I have read from some of the other board members that the Interlagos Blue looks different in person compared to the pic's online. Can any one else comment.....Thanks.....Jay.S
The photos with the Hartge package are terrific. They made me rethink the decision to not order interlagos. The only things I can say are (1) the color in person appears, at least to me, to be somewhat more purple and brighter, and (2) the color looks louder when seen with other cars nearby. I fully agree that part of the appeal of interlagos is that it is a color unique to the M5 (and a few M3s). I strongly recommend finding an interlagos M3 at a dealer so you can see it in person and decide once and for all.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
What about Indy Red -- it's a unique M5 color? I'm very interested in seeing that in person.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
MRichmond said:
The photos with the Hartge package are terrific. They made me rethink the decision to not order interlagos. The only things I can say are (1) the color in person appears, at least to me, to be somewhat more purple and brighter, and (2) the color looks louder when seen with other cars nearby. I fully agree that part of the appeal of interlagos is that it is a color unique to the M5 (and a few M3s). I strongly recommend finding an interlagos M3 at a dealer so you can see it in person and decide once and for all.
I saw it again today in a M3 at the dealer and it looks great. There are many new cars out there in deep blue, Lexus, Audi, Subaru to name a few. In addition I think people are getting bored with the silver thing, it is so overdone. So maybe BMW picked up on this trend and stopped the titanium silver that was so popular for the M5, not to mention other 5s and came up with silver grey. And also to make their cars separate from Mercedes which are all silver, or so it seems. Now I have owned three silver BMWs and one Brilliant Silver Merc, those were the last four cars I bought except for a Reed green Touareg. So I have a long established love of silver cars but most cars today are either gold or silver and absent the titanium, it's time to change. That's why it "looks louder when seen with other cars." Who knows but three years from now it will not stand out so much.

RE Sunlight: This Interlagos color is not loud or purple in Florida sunlight, I specifically looked for that today in the M3 I saw in bright sunlight. I would describe the color choice as bold or forward thinking, not flashy or "hey look at me." Color is a personal choice and should not be too critized or campaigned against. After all a significant portion of E60 buyers have chosen IB for their cars and for good reason.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim Dolan said:
I saw it again today in a M3 at the dealer and it looks great. There are many new cars out there in deep blue, Lexus, Audi, Subaru to name a few. In addition I think people are getting bored with the silver thing, it is so overdone. So maybe BMW picked up on this trend and stopped the titanium silver that was so popular for the M5, not to mention other 5s and came up with silver grey. And also to make their cars separate from Mercedes which are all silver, or so it seems. Now I have owned three silver BMWs and one Brilliant Silver Merc, those were the last four cars I bought except for a Reed green Touareg. So I have a long established love of silver cars but most cars today are either gold or silver and absent the titanium, it's time to change. That's why it "looks louder when seen with other cars." Who knows but three years from now it will not stand out so much.

RE Sunlight: This Interlagos color is not loud or purple in Florida sunlight, I specifically looked for that today in the M3 I saw in bright sunlight. I would describe the color choice as bold or forward thinking, not flashy or "hey look at me." Color is a personal choice and should not be too critized or campaigned against. After all a significant portion of E60 buyers have chosen IB for their cars and for good reason.
Well said, Jim. I am by no means campaigning against interlagos or trying to dissuade anyone from choosing it. I complement BMW for offering it. I simply suggest that those who are considering it see it in person before ordering it if possible. I am sure that many, like you, will reaffirm their desire to have their M5s be interlagos. I in no way criticize or even question that choice. My only point is that the photos that have been posted do not convey completely accurately the character of the color. The facts that it is so difficult to capture and that it looks so different under varying lighting conditions make it that much more interesting. You are completely right that color is a personal choice. I also believe that some parts of the country -- like Florida -- are more accepting of strong colors than others -- like central Virginia where I live. I know you will be pleased as will all others who choose interlagos after doing their own due diligence.

·
Registered
234 Posts
CSBM5 said:
What about Indy Red -- it's a unique M5 color? I'm very interested in seeing that in person.
If I were leasing this car my color choice would be the Indy Red / Black int no doubt. But I am purchasing this car and only plan on keeping the car until the M6 comes out, so I have to consider resale value, so therefore I prefer to pic a color that is high demand vs. a color I personaly love.

Here are my color choices along with the pros and cons:

Indy Red
Pros: I just love this color this would be my 1st choice. Its appears to be a dark deep red and it is very unique to the M5, besides I think it looks awesome with wheels
Cons: It doesn't appear that the color has any demand, therefore it isn't very good for
resale.
Silverstone
Pros: Very unique color for the M5, its very low maintenance and looks great.
Cons: Im not even sure this is a negative but for me it is, I currently have a E39 M5 and its Silverstone and it looks awesome, I receive many many complements about the color. Originally I didn't want the Silverstone for the E39 M5 but with in a week of getting the car I loved it. But although I love the color I want something different. Other wise I highly recommend this color to someone that wants a great looking low maintenance color.
Black Sapphire
Pros: Quite simply this is black and almost all cars look great in black, when Im done washing or waxing a black car its very satisfying. Also will be a great color for resale due to high demand.
Cons:Very high maintenance, you can see every scratch and scuff, also looks like any other regular 5 series, not unique to the M5
Interlagos Blue
Pros: Very unique color for the M5, looks very good hooked up with the 21 inch Hartge package, again it almost looks like the signature color for the E60 M5
Cons: It might be to bright from what Ive been reading, Ive heard it looks purple at times. Also one of the board members mentioned that the color seems flat, which i kinda understand since some BMW colors do appear flat like mystic blue for example. im worried if the color doesn't do well here in the US market it will hurt resale

Also I don't want to offend anyone, these are just my opinions. I would love to hear some input....Thanks Jay.S :M5eyes:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
TOPSUPRA said:
If I were leasing this car my color choice would be the Indy Red / Black int no doubt. But I am purchasing this car and only plan on keeping the car until the M6 comes out, so I have to consider resale value, so therefore I prefer to pic a color that is high demand vs. a color I personaly love.

Here are my color choices along with the pros and cons:

Indy Red
Pros: I just love this color this would be my 1st choice. Its appears to be a dark deep red and it is very unique to the M5, besides I think it looks awesome with wheels
Cons: It doesn't appear that the color has any demand, therefore it isn't very good for
resale.
Silverstone
Pros: Very unique color for the M5, its very low maintenance and looks great.
Cons: Im not even sure this is a negative but for me it is, I currently have a E39 M5 and its Silverstone and it looks awesome, I receive many many complements about the color. Originally I didn't want the Silverstone for the E39 M5 but with in a week of getting the car I loved it. But although I love the color I want something different. Other wise I highly recommend this color to someone that wants a great looking low maintenance color.
Black Sapphire
Pros: Quite simply this is black and almost all cars look great in black, when Im done washing or waxing a black car its very satisfying. Also will be a great color for resale due to high demand.
Cons:Very high maintenance, you can see every scratch and scuff, also looks like any other regular 5 series, not unique to the M5
Interlagos Blue
Pros: Very unique color for the M5, looks very good hooked up with the 21 inch Hartge package, again it almost looks like the signature color for the E60 M5
Cons: It might be to bright from what Ive been reading, Ive heard it looks purple at times. Also one of the board members mentioned that the color seems flat, which i kinda understand since some BMW colors do appear flat like mystic blue for example. im worried if the color doesn't do well here in the US market it will hurt resale

Also I don't want to offend anyone, these are just my opinions. I would love to hear some input....Thanks Jay.S :M5eyes:
If resale is a major consideration, then I'd get Silverstone II. After 3-4 years, the darker colors will show all sorts of swirl marks and chips. The silver will still look like new. You don't see any swirls, and the chips are not very visible. I've had 2 black and 2 silver german cars, and the silver definitely ages better.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Back to the subject of Interlagos Blue being too stunning or bright.

We just took a 15 mile trip to Ft Lauderdale and here's what we saw in blue cars similar to the E60.

New Ford Mustang Deep Violet Blue Metalic

Nissan 300Z Deep blue with violet tones Metalic

Mercedes C Class hatchback with Deep Blue Metalic

New C6 Corvette Deep blue violet tone Metalic.

All of these were sport or performance cars. I didn't see any new silver or red sport or performance cars on this 25 minute trip.

This was just on one single trip. It seems a trend in new cars is a deeper and in some cases violet blue metalic has caught on. Now whether this will continue over the life of a E60 M5 remains to be seen. How many colors can BMW come up with. Blue is a staple color and maybe this one will last, we never know.

On my credenza at my office I have a BMW 507 model in dark blue similar to current dark blue BMWs and its a classic.

My confidence in this color choice has been shaken by this thread and I must admit some of the comments have been constructive and thought provoking. I am concerned about resale value five years from now. I have a week or two the change the color of my car, but to what?

Silverstone II: BMW doesn't make this designation(Silverstone II) yet I have seen it on this board. Is there a difference between Silverstone (E39) and Silverstone II (E60)? What about resale value of this color?

Silver Grey Matalic: Would this be better than Titanium? I doubt this because it is a bit drab. But would it be better on resale than Interlagos? I feel the possibility is there.

No other color appeals to me. What do you think?

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Jim,

Personally I wouldn't get the E60 M5 in any other color than Interlagos Blue or maybe Indy Red (after seeing it in person to be sure). I'm so sick of silver and other bland colors -- it was "new" and "awesome" in late 1972 when we took delivery of a 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 in silver metallic, but 33 years later when everything on the road is in shades of silver and other bland colors, I'm done with them. :)

The E60 M5 simply looks stunning in IB in my opinion. It goes very well with the character of the car. I really don't think you'll have to worry at all about resale value -- there will be plenty of takers for IB. :)

I wonder if for the traditional $2k extra you can specify a specific color on the E60 yet? I've always loved Atlantik Blue like my 1972 Bavaria :biggrin: :

Chuck

1 - 20 of 40 Posts