BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1681 - 1697 of 1697 Posts

·
1,917 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
There's this really quite nice M5 up the road from me...

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=882626&thumb=1

Good number plate as well, if a little ostentatious...

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=882628&thumb=1

Except...

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=882630&thumb=1

Oh dear. Why would anyone spend that much time and effort (and money) when surely a real one is no more expensive?

I can see it now.....he/she is trying to impress someone in the passenger seat, until they need to refill the tank. Wait a second, why are we stopped at a diesel pump? And why is the acceleration off the line not bad but going from 60-80 MPH not very fast at all?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That listing has fail all over it. Mobil 1 10W50? I wonder how much it would cost to restore that Beast.

It could be a diamond in the rough actually ,looks like some kind of seat covers so maybe there is gold under them. The wrap can be removed ditch the ****ty ugly bumper and wheels. As far as 10w50 I'd not be too worried, it's not the best options but if it's changed regularly it would be better than 10w60 or 5w30 that's run to BMW life cycle. Then again that wrap makes me cry.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
It could be a diamond in the rough actually ,looks like some kind of seat covers so maybe there is gold under them. The wrap can be removed ditch the ****ty ugly bumper and wheels. As far as 10w50 I'd not be too worried, it's not the best options but if it's changed regularly it would be better than 10w60 or 5w30 that's run to BMW life cycle. Then again that wrap makes me cry.
For $10k, you probably could do worse. I use Mobil 1 and prefer it. What I meant is that XOM doesn't offer a 10W50 or even a 10W60. I happen to use 5W50 which is an excellent oil. I guess with all the other issues this car has, dude doesn't even know what oil is being used. What else don't they know? Then you really begin to ponder the cost of restoration.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
For $10k, you probably could do worse. I use Mobil 1 and prefer it. What I meant is that XOM doesn't offer a 10W50 or even a 10W60. I happen to use 5W50 which is an excellent oil. I guess with all the other issues this car has, dude doesn't even know what oil is being used. What else don't they know? Then you really begin to ponder the cost of restoration.

Lol I didn't realize that, I forgot it's typically 5w50. You have a point though if they don't know what they're changing the oil with, then they're probably taking it somewhere anyway. Also that armrest leather looks beat :(

·
Registered
2,797 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I must say, that rear fender roll must have been done with a baseball bat!

Looking at those pictures again on a computer, yeah, that's pretty horrid. It has some things going for it. Ferris mentioned the wrap can be removed. Hopefully it comes off easy and the underlying paint is as good as they say it is. Figure in a new front bumper and maybe a color sanding/recoat/correction. The seat covers, if used all the time except for at "shows" presumably, means the leather could be in decent shape. The center armrest is easy to fix and I prefer the one without the cradle anyway. The mods, while not pretty or desirable to us, may have been done "correctly" and in fact protected some parts of the car. It's not a terrible buy for $10k, I mean, $9999.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw one today, couldn't get a picture though. It had an M5 trunk lid with badge and spoiler, and Style 65's. Non-M bumpers though, and was clearly an automatic when I heard it take off from the stop light. It was in rough shape with a smashed in front fender, faded paint and extremely dirty wheels.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently pulled up next to a guy at a gas pump in North Carolina. He had an “automatic E39 M5”. I saw the badge on the back and at first didn’t see the car was an auto. I said to him “nice M5”. He said thanks. I told him I have an M5 in my garage that needs a new clutch. He said oh bummer well mine is automatic so no issues there.

The car apparently was an 540i auto that had M5 wheels on it with a removed 540i badge replaced by an M5 badge.

He just finished pumping gas when I pulled up and then quickly left after we started talking.

Unbelievable..

·
Registered
75 Posts
It doesn’t bother me at all if someone makes their lower optioned car to look like an upper leveled model. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
But, I do laugh at the cars that look like the gold e39 pictured above. Some people just have horrible taste. Unfortunately, the ricer crowd really hammered home the “more is better” mentality.

1681 - 1697 of 1697 Posts