BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the car back and the dealer installed a turbo for me at no charge. but seriously i've been having some issues latetly. it started when i would suddenly loose all, not some but all power at wot just before redline. at first i thought that it was because i hit the redline too hard or something. i'd have to turn the car completely off before i would get the power back. kinda dangerous when you do it on the highway. anyway, it happened a few more times later also, but only at wot.

took her to the dealer the first time because the SES light finally came on and my service date was close. dealer ran some tests and said that cylinder bank one was misfiring. also, low fuel code came up aswel. i got the car back, they just reset the codes, cleaned the MAF which helped a little, but still had the same problem. took her back again, they checked her and cylinder bank one is no running lean. the tech changed the mafs and still problems persist. get her back today because they are waiting for reply from bmw and the car is worst than when i gave her in. it is now in limp mode, fells like one half of the cylinders are working and i have this faint turbo-like wine, but no SES light. does anyone have any idea what it could be

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i fotgot to mention that both times the car was in, there was a code for low fuel, but i had always had fuel because the fuel light never even went on. also, they did change my purge velve and i previously had some issues related to the fuel tank

·
Registered
837 Posts
Did I miss something, you have a turbo on your car?

·
Registered
784 Posts
ContractR said:
i fotgot to mention that both times the car was in, there was a code for low fuel, but i had always had fuel because the fuel light never even went on. also, they did change my purge velve and i previously had some issues related to the fuel tank

I have seen a similar situation when the cars are driven very hard (as you descibe) and the fuel is low.......even without the light on. In fact just had it happen on an E36 last week........

I would consider this the common thread with the problem initially and attempt to duplicate with a greater fuel level...... remember...... all too often we look for the extreme problem when more times than not it is something very simple.

Take care

Shadowman

·
10,459 Posts
i had a misfire on my car, only happened on the track and even then only when i was really pushing it. Dealer did the same thing, said we cleared the fault codes, reset the adaptations, if it happens again give us a call. I didn't fully buy it, since it had never happened on the track before. I changed my plugs, coils (wanted to change them anyway :cool: ) and put a fresh fuel filter in. Haven't been back to the track, so don't know if that solved it.

One of my students at that particular track event is a bmw tech in an independent shop (i.e., no gt1, so he actually uses his head) who suggested replacing the 'lifetime fuel filter' as a place to start.
Mike

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
even now, i have more than 1/4 of a tank of fuel and i still have this half power type of situation.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have the HD sink drains, but no piping for them. so i basically have just the opening with the drains. could that cause the problem?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wonder why i have two of the same posts going. anyway, i also noticed that the car chokes in the same range in every gear, between 1.5-2.5k rpm, than power comes back on untill it starts to die out again after 4.5k rpm. there is no more choking after 4.5k but it seems that i'm only getting like 60% of power after that.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
ContractR said:
got the car back and the dealer installed a turbo for me at no charge. but seriously i've been having some issues latetly. it started when i would suddenly loose all, not some but all power at wot just before redline. at first i thought that it was because i hit the redline too hard or something. i'd have to turn the car completely off before i would get the power back. kinda dangerous when you do it on the highway. anyway, it happened a few more times later also, but only at wot.

took her to the dealer the first time because the SES light finally came on and my service date was close. dealer ran some tests and said that cylinder bank one was misfiring. also, low fuel code came up aswel. i got the car back, they just reset the codes, cleaned the MAF which helped a little, but still had the same problem. took her back again, they checked her and cylinder bank one is no running lean. the tech changed the mafs and still problems persist. get her back today because they are waiting for reply from bmw and the car is worst than when i gave her in. it is now in limp mode, fells like one half of the cylinders are working and i have this faint turbo-like wine, but no SES light. does anyone have any idea what it could be
Did someone mention TURBO's??? lovelove Let's see them!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
ContractR said:
got the car back and the dealer installed a turbo for me at no charge. but seriously ...
Those of you looking for a turbo...you are missing this was a joke!! ouich
I don't think there is a turbo on this car.
Regards,
Alfred

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't have a turbo, the whining sound, i think, is coming from somewhere in the back, leading me to believe that my problem is fuel related. it sounds like a pump or something. it's amazing how my mood correlates with how my car is running. i was good for most of the week untill i got her back, i've been pmsing (not a real word?) since i got her back. i can't bear to see her in this condition:crying2:

·
Registered
13,002 Posts
ContractR said:
i don't have a turbo, the whining sound, i think, is coming from somewhere in the back, leading me to believe that my problem is fuel related. it sounds like a pump or something. it's amazing how my mood correlates with how my car is running. i was good for most of the week untill i got her back, i've been pmsing (not a real word?) since i got her back. i can't bear to see her in this condition:crying2:
If it is the fuel pump whining, you should be able to hear it by standing at the back of the car. As DavidS suggested, make sure you are getting proper fuel pressures. There could also be a clog somewhere that blocks fuel flow on high demand. It would seem fuel filter and fuel pump are high on the list of suspects. A whining fuel pump is an indication it is on the way out, although they can last a long time like that. At high rpm, you need all the fuel flow available and a weak pump won't cut it.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Could the fuel pickup sock be clogged or restricted?
Other cars have problems when the gas cap seal goes bad make sure its sealing(sometime the simple things are it).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts