BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the car back and the dealer installed a turbo for me at no charge. but seriously i've been having some issues latetly. it started when i would suddenly loose all, not some but all power at wot just before redline. at first i thought that it was because i hit the redline too hard or something. i'd have to turn the car completely off before i would get the power back. kinda dangerous when you do it on the highway. anyway, it happened a few more times later also, but only at wot.

took her to the dealer the first time because the SES light finally came on and my service date was close. dealer ran some tests and said that cylinder bank one was misfiring. also, low fuel code came up aswel. i got the car back, they just reset the codes, cleaned the MAF which helped a little, but still had the same problem. took her back again, they checked her and cylinder bank one is no running lean. the tech changed the mafs and still problems persist. get her back today because they are waiting for reply from bmw and the car is worst than when i gave her in. it is now in limp mode, fells like one half of the cylinders are working and i have this faint turbo-like wine, but no SES light. does anyone have any idea what it could be

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
ContractR said:
got the car back and the dealer installed a turbo for me at no charge. but seriously i've been having some issues latetly. it started when i would suddenly loose all, not some but all power at wot just before redline. at first i thought that it was because i hit the redline too hard or something. i'd have to turn the car completely off before i would get the power back. kinda dangerous when you do it on the highway. anyway, it happened a few more times later also, but only at wot.

took her to the dealer the first time because the SES light finally came on and my service date was close. dealer ran some tests and said that cylinder bank one was misfiring. also, low fuel code came up aswel. i got the car back, they just reset the codes, cleaned the MAF which helped a little, but still had the same problem. took her back again, they checked her and cylinder bank one is no running lean. the tech changed the mafs and still problems persist. get her back today because they are waiting for reply from bmw and the car is worst than when i gave her in. it is now in limp mode, fells like one half of the cylinders are working and i have this faint turbo-like wine, but no SES light. does anyone have any idea what it could be
Don't know, but you might have the dealer reflash your ECU with the latest software. Not hard to do, and no cost to dealer. Certainly can't hurt. Or, you could try disconnecting battery overnight and let the ECU reset to it's default settings and hopefully clear any "bad memory" it has from previous faults.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
I´d guess it is either MAFs, injectors, fuel-pump, fuel regulator, fuel filter, vacuum in tank or crankshaft sensor, possibly a bad insulator on an ignition coil.

I´d like to suggest to try this in order:

1. Perform the DIY MAF test:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54788

If that indicates the MAFs are good then

2. Check signal from crankshaft sensor with an oscilloscope.

3. measure the fuel-pressure, make sure they do it by-the-book, that is both with and without the vacuum-hoose connected to the fuel pressure regulator.

4. If fuel pressure is good, disconnect fuel-rail and check fuel flow.

5. If fuel flow is good too, suspect the injectors, or ignition components.

David

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the HD sink drains, but no piping for them. so i basically have just the opening with the drains. could that cause the problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts