1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The RD Sport are essentially a version of the stock header but 2mm larger in ID. You might gain 10hp. You are right, no need for a connecting pipe. I am not sure the reduced cost + labor to install is worth 10hp. The RD Competition is an equal length tube header which will give you 30hp but costs the same as SS and much more difficult to install due to the one piece construction.

·
Registered
319 Posts
These may not be that great with a NA car, but I do wonder how they'd do with the ESS supercharger kit... I'd guess greater than 12hp gain.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These may not be that great with a NA car, but I do wonder how they'd do with the ESS supercharger kit... I'd guess greater than 12hp gain.
That would be a interesting comparison, but I still stick to the SS headers. I just think its interesting to see other "competitors" products. Pretty soon eBay with have M5 headers for $100 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Competition drives prices down and gives business adsentive to make better/more products. Not such a bad thing when it comes to M5 aftermarket go fast parts.

With all aftermarket headers and the stock exhaust manifolds the pass. side makes the most power on the e39. The driver's side is very confined and doesnt allow the header tubes to come out much from the head before having to bend. The straighter the tube is as it comes out from the exhaust port the more power can be had. These headers on ebay compared side by side with a picture of stock exhaust manifolds look almost the same...maybe a touch better. I'd say 10 hp at the most. The driver's side header and the stock collectors are still the problem with these.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I agree with you 100% on lower price go fast parts. Its about time prices decrease, considering the beasts been around for 10 years.

They just need to make sure that the quaility is still there as well as the price drop.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Razahyde,
You are correct.
The top image was OEM as you already know.
The bottom two are SS

The ones on the website look like(as you said), OEM but with a coating....

the ones on the website dont look like those...they look like oem with the image they have.

·
Registered
530 Posts
IIRC there were a number of issues with the RD sport headers fitment, alot of tirades, emailthreads etc. Specifically installation problems (ie practically remove motor to get them in), too close to some steering or suspension components, and they definetly do not look like original OEM exhaust manifolds. Buyer beware....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts