BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for those that know me I'm an old Mopar guy and I haven't been excited for anything they have done in years.... Until now. If you're not up to speed on what's coming this will do the trick:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iYol7m3WjGQ

And

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=28krt9RCFj8

Ok, up to speed now.,,.

Yes I know, quality, cornering and weight are all negatives and the fact they are everywhere. But and it's a big but, it's F'ing doing 11.2 on P0's and 10.8's just shy of a 130 trap on DOT slicks; from the factory.

Orders start 8/8; really considering selling the M and becoming a hooligan!!!

What say you?

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Are they going to be available in a manual?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just wish the American car companies would make the Challenger/Camaro/Mustang smaller, they look like huge, oversized, and bloated. Even if they are not that big, I dk dimensions. I find them all to be eyesores and a poorly designed retro muscle cars. I like alot of the 60/70s muscle car looks and think they could of done a much better job. Blame it on the freakin stupid Transformers for letting it become popular.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
your remarks show that you miss the entire point of these cars. the camaro, challenger and mustang are part of an American Muscle Renaissance...they came back with retro styling cues to pay homage to their predecessors. Also, you arguably are not the target demographic either. If you want a small sporty luxury sedan or coupe.....thats never been a camaro, mustang or a challenger. you're expecting them to change what the cars are by definition lol.

American Muscle is what it is.....iconic, big, loud, large displacement, shredding tires, great for the drag strip and unapologetic to guys like you who don't 'get it'.

no offense so please dont take any....but the guys in the actual target market would have some not-so-nice things to say about your choice of car, styling, dimensions as well. its all relative...

I just wish the American car companies would make the Challenger/Camaro/Mustang smaller, they look like huge, oversized, and bloated. Even if they are not that big, I dk dimensions. I find them all to be eyesores and a poorly designed retro muscle cars. I like alot of the 60/70s muscle car looks and think they could of done a much better job. Blame it on the freakin stupid Transformers for letting it become popular.

·
Registered
201 Posts
your remarks show that you miss the entire point of these cars. the camaro, challenger and mustang are part of an American Muscle Renaissance...they came back with retro styling cues to pay homage to their predecessors. Also, you arguably are not the target demographic either. If you want a small sporty luxury sedan or coupe.....thats never been a camaro, mustang or a challenger. you're expecting them to change what the cars are by definition lol.

American Muscle is what it is.....iconic, big, loud, large displacement, shredding tires, great for the drag strip and unapologetic to guys like you who don't 'get it'.

no offense so please dont take any....but the guys in the actual target market would have some not-so-nice things to say about your choice of car, styling, dimensions as well. its all relative...

WOW - WELL PUT my friend, well put! :cheers:

As far as the HellCat - I LOVE IT. Yep, it is meant to be a drag car, not for road racing at Sebring or what-have-you. :)

That baby is begging for a pulley kit, exhaust, CAI kit and better/wider wheels and tires and perhaps a little bit of suspension work and lowering it for just a hair more/better handling (assuming it will handle like crap) and then it’s a wrap. :wroom:

To be NHRA certified is a BIG deal - it means it's the real deal...holy crap man, 10.8's with just DR's or Slicks off the show room floor and for $60K...dayum! We are living in a great car era amigos:grinyes:

I know this is BMW forum, so I expect some of the “BMW Fan Boys” feces throwers to throw and throw hard, but let's hope the "true" car guys come out and overshadow what historically happens in this forum just about every time someone dares to mention anything about another car or car manufacturer. :grrrrr:

It would be really cool if Dodge drops that same motor in the Jeep SRT8 or the soon to go away 300C SRT8…Yes, my E60 M5 will go away with the wind faster than Dorothy, the Tin Man, Lion and Scarecrow. LOL I think Dodge just punched the guts of many opponents. Heck, wait until the aftermarket gets a hold of it – from go-fast goodies to suspension work to wheels/tires and perhaps body kits…it’s going to be killer.:)

Like I always said, I am a car guy FIRST! A brand loyalist I am not, and this Dodge just opened my eyes a whole lot; my wallet may soon to follow. mmmmmm

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Absolutely every time I see a Challenger I want to take a skinny wheel and cut about 12' out of the hight of the body down each side!

Cheers!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I understand what they tried to do and who their market is. But what I was saying is the bodies look larger than they needed to be. You made me look up the dimensions... a 1968 Camaro was 185" long and 72.5" wide... the new one is 191" x 75.5", original Challenger 191x76, new one 198x76. When I look at the classics I do not see it being a overly large car, the new ones look like 2 door station wagons they seem so big and boxy, the classics had refined styling and curves. IMHO opinion they could of done better on styling, just shrink it a little.

I would love an old 60's GTO, Vette, or Mustang. But nostalgia is not going to blind me into thinking the modern versions are anything like the originals, they are a mass produced profit machines. Mostly driven by old farts going 5 mph over the limit...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
WOW - WELL PUT my friend, well put! :cheers:

As far as the HellCat - I LOVE IT. Yep, it is meant to be a drag car, not for road racing at Sebring or what-have-you. :)

That baby is begging for a pulley kit, exhaust, CAI kit and better/wider wheels and tires and perhaps a little bit of suspension work and lowering it for just a hair more/better handling (assuming it will handle like crap) and then it’s a wrap. :wroom:

To be NHRA certified is a BIG deal - it means it's the real deal...holy crap man, 10.8's with just DR's or Slicks off the show room floor and for $60K...dayum! We are living in a great car era amigos:grinyes:

I know this is BMW forum, so I expect some of the “BMW Fan Boys” feces throwers to throw and throw hard, but let's hope the "true" car guys come out and overshadow what historically happens in this forum just about every time someone dares to mention anything about another car or car manufacturer. :grrrrr:

It would be really cool if Dodge drops that same motor in the Jeep SRT8 or the soon to go away 300C SRT8…Yes, my E60 M5 will go away with the wind faster than Dorothy, the Tin Man, Lion and Scarecrow. LOL I think Dodge just punched the guts of many opponents. Heck, wait until the aftermarket gets a hold of it – from go-fast goodies to suspension work to wheels/tires and perhaps body kits…it’s going to be killer.:)

Like I always said, I am a car guy FIRST! A brand loyalist I am not, and this Dodge just opened my eyes a whole lot; my wallet may soon to follow. mmmmmm

This is exactly where I'm at; with electrics coming full spark and gas prices soaring this just might be 1971 all over again!

I'm not a brand whore, but most here know my opinion of GM and Vetts so let's not go there.

I got into BMW's because of the S85. When I first saw the Tiff Needell M5 video in 2006. I said any car company that is going to stuff a 500hp V10 in a four door I have to go take a closer look at the brand. So I went and drove multiple BMW's for the first time. That's when I discovered that not all BMW's were driven by yuppie pricks. I also discovered what handling feels like;)

Fast forward I now have two BMW's an older Mopar that needs restored and a Bronco that needs finished. I will always be a BMW guy now, but I still bleed Mopar. This is the first car that I'm seriously thinking about getting out of the M. If I could afford both I would, but I can't so decisions decisions!!!!

And no matter your opinion shutting up the stock GTR guys in a straight line is almost enough right there;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I understand what they tried to do and who their market is. But what I was saying is the bodies look larger than they needed to be. You made me look up the dimensions... a 1968 Camaro was 185" long and 72.5" wide... the new one is 191" x 75.5", original Challenger 191x76, new one 198x76. When I look at the classics I do not see it being a overly large car, the new ones look like 2 door station wagons they seem so big and boxy, the classics had refined styling and curves. IMHO opinion they could of done better on styling, just shrink it a little.

I would love an old 60's GTO, Vette, or Mustang. But nostalgia is not going to blind me into thinking the modern versions are anything like the originals, they are a mass produced profit machines. Mostly driven by old farts going 5 mph over the limit...

oddly enough, all my initial comments still stand. keep in mind...cars grow over time...and thus, so do consumer expectations on size & cargo space. look at the current 3 series vs the outgoing version or dare you compare it to the E30.....same for the 5 series and the 7 series.....do your gripes apply there as well? the platform growing 6 inches longer over 30 to 40 years is hardly a strong foundation to base an argument on. but i digress....it is ultimately a matter of personal taste.

and i current have an enormous man crush on the 2015 Mustang GT and am strongly considering picking one up...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ok, for those that know me I'm an old Mopar guy and I haven't been excited for anything they have done in years.... Until now. If you're not up to speed on what's coming this will do the trick:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iYol7m3WjGQ

And

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=28krt9RCFj8

Ok, up to speed now.,,.

Yes I know, quality, cornering and weight are all negatives and the fact they are everywhere. But and it's a big but, it's F'ing doing 11.2 on P0's and 10.8's just shy of a 130 trap on DOT slicks; from the factory.

Orders start 8/8; really considering selling the M and becoming a hooligan!!!

What say you?

Cheers!
2 doors, no bueno. My primary reason to get an M5 was 4 doors. Everything else this car does is just a bonus.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem I have with all the retro cars is they are everywhere. I saw one E60 M5 on the road yesterday; first one I've seen in weeks. I see Mustang's and Camaro's at every turn. Lots of Challengers as well, just not as bad as the other two. Vetts well let's not talk about them in this tread please;)

What I do like is a 10.8 car with a warranty and the potential mod potential. Guys were already getting 800hp on the previous gen platform. Now they have beefed the drivetrain up so touching 1,000hp with this is within reason; well as reasonable as 1,000hp is!!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
[QU OTE=DaveW68;4976673]It won't be long before that motor is available in the 4 door charger. Problem solved! :15:[/QUOTE]

Four doors is my issue as well, but my oldest is almost out of the house so needing seating for five is almost not a requirement anymore. My two others fit well in the rear of the 1, so due to the cartoonish size don't think it will be an issue for where I'm at now. At the time of purchase of the M I had to have four doors.

As you can all tell I don't need much pushing;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had my 300C SRT-8 for 6 years and absolutely loved it! I sometimes regret trading it and getting the M5 due to its awesome performance, reliability, and chopped gangster styling. The car was big, but it sure as hell performed, especially with some cheap mods....and it turned heads everywhere....even though the 300s were everywhere.

I love that Chrysler is going no-holds barred with the Hellcat motor. I think that they should have made the car a little smaller with the update a couple of years ago....especially since it tops the scales over 2 tons and looks like a tank rolling down the road. But there is no mistaking a Challenger when you see one on the road. I'm just happy that Fiat didn't turn it into a little sissy car like their own brand.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I had my 300C SRT-8 for 6 years and absolutely loved it! I sometimes regret trading it and getting the M5 due to its awesome performance, reliability, and chopped gangster styling. The car was big, but it sure as hell performed, especially with some cheap mods....and it turned heads everywhere....even though the 300s were everywhere.

I love that Chrysler is going no-holds barred with the Hellcat motor. I think that they should have made the car a little smaller with the update a couple of years ago....especially since it tops the scales over 2 tons and looks like a tank rolling down the road. But there is no mistaking a Challenger when you see one on the road. I'm just happy that Fiat didn't turn it into a little sissy car like their own brand.

Yes, I actually had a 300m prior to moving to BMW. Not a V8, but I hammered the **** out of the 3.5 for 187,000 miles and it still was in great shape when I got rid of. The transmission on the other had was a POS. Was in and out of the car every 20k after a 100k. I felt sorry for the poor shop that warrantied it and had to repair four times at their cost. The last time I had it repaired he asked if I would be selling anytime soon.

I too wish they were smaller; and I still can't figure out where they are pouring the lead in?

Cheers!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yes, I actually had a 300m prior to moving to BMW. Not a V8, but I hammered the **** out of the 3.5 for 187,000 miles and it still was in great shape when I got rid of. The transmission on the other had was a POS. Was in and out of the car every 20k after a 100k. I felt sorry for the poor shop that warrantied it and had to repair four times at their cost. The last time I had it repaired he asked if I would be selling anytime soon.

I too wish they were smaller; and I still can't figure out where they are pouring the lead in?

Cheers!
The M5, especially the F10 is smaller and weighs more. Perhaps BMW has added lead reinforcement to their panels.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The only muscle car that interests me is the new Z06. Now if I can only get past all the wings, scoops, spoilers, splitters, etc. LOL

·
Registered
201 Posts
The M5, especially the F10 is smaller and weighs more. Perhaps BMW has added lead reinforcement to their panels.
To me, all these cars are getting bigger (import and domestic), albeit with more power and better MPG for the most part. hmmm

I have friends with 300C SRT8 and they love it...I do too. I like that mean look and they way it sounds; I just can get over its size, but with 707hp, I'll take one in Black please. :tonquesmilie:

1 - 20 of 194 Posts