BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone (any dealers out there?) have a view on how many allocations each dealer is likely to get?? I have heard #s as low as 1 every two to three months from some (i suspect people looking to sell their allocation slots) but my local dealer (fairly large) claims to have spec'ed three last month and that he expects that pace to continue. I am #9 on the list and trying to figure out when my car might get here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
340 centers in the US. ive read where the monthly production is 54 cars a day say that half go to us. then calculate from there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
My dealer said 5 M5s for the 2006 model year are expected -- first delivery in October, maybe another before the end of the year, then one about February or March, then 2 or 3 more before they stop making 2006 models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
turtle said:
Anyone (any dealers out there?) have a view on how many allocations each dealer is likely to get?? I have heard #s as low as 1 every two to three months from some (i suspect people looking to sell their allocation slots) but my local dealer (fairly large) claims to have spec'ed three last month and that he expects that pace to continue. I am #9 on the list and trying to figure out when my car might get here
When I spoke with a rep over at BMW Group Netherlands they told me they allocate cars according to how much a dealer has in backorder.

If dealer a has 10 cars in the backorder and dealer b just 2 then dealer a will get more allocations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
frylord said:
When I spoke with a rep over at BMW Group Netherlands they told me they allocate cars according to how much a dealer has in backorder.

If dealer a has 10 cars in the backorder and dealer b just 2 then dealer a will get more allocations.
Not entirely correct. They get allocations according to the "size" of the dealership. This "size" is based on how many vehicles the dealership sold the previous year. This value is called SPG. The SPG values in the beginning of each year determine the dealerhsip's overall vehicle assignments for that calendar year. So a dealership with an SPG 1400 (1400 units sold the previous year) gets more M5s allocated than one with an SPG of 400 (small dealership.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Rezf said:
Not entirely correct. They get allocations according to the "size" of the dealership. This "size" is based on how many vehicles the dealership sold the previous year. This value is called SPG. The SPG values in the beginning of each year determine the dealerhsip's overall vehicle assignments for that calendar year. So a dealership with an SPG 1400 (1400 units sold the previous year) gets more M5s allocated than one with an SPG of 400 (small dealership.)
I think for the M5 they took firm orders from customers with deposits first to determine the initial allocations. This may vary from the normal allocation method, and is similar to what frylord was saying. After the initial allocations, it may revert back to what you describe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Digi said:
I think for the M5 they took firm orders from customers with deposits first to determine the initial allocations. This may vary from the normal allocation method, and is similar to what frylord was saying. After the initial allocations, it may revert back to what you describe.
Digi,
They do NOT allocate M5s INITIALLY based on firm orders from customers. There are "small" dealerships with people on a list with paid deposits and not a single M5 has been allocated to them. The M5 gets figured into the SPG calculation in a fairly complicated way. But in the end it is directly proportional with the SPG figure. In 2-3 years, in addition to the above method, BMW GROUP will assign additional M5s to a dealership as the dealer "calls in" an order for a customer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Rezf said:
Digi,
They do NOT allocate M5s INITIALLY based on firm orders from customers. There are "small" dealerships with people on a list with paid deposits and not a single M5 has been allocated to them. The M5 gets figured into the SPG calculation in a fairly complicated way. But in the end it is directly proportional with the SPG figure. In 2-3 years, in addition to the above method, BMW GROUP will assign additional M5s to a dealership as the dealer "calls in" an order for a customer.
This was the way it was done in Europe, and I think Canada for initial allocations. BMW asked the dealers for firm orders. Those without any, or dealers not responding by the deadline didn't get an initial allocation. Don't know about the US. I guess you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
Rezf said:
Digi,
They do NOT allocate M5s INITIALLY based on firm orders from customers. There are "small" dealerships with people on a list with paid deposits and not a single M5 has been allocated to them. The M5 gets figured into the SPG calculation in a fairly complicated way. But in the end it is directly proportional with the SPG figure. In 2-3 years, in addition to the above method, BMW GROUP will assign additional M5s to a dealership as the dealer "calls in" an order for a customer.
That sounds right. My dealership is fairly small, and they said my M5 is the only allocation they know about so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Digi said:
This was the way it was done in Europe, and I think Canada for initial allocations. BMW asked the dealers for firm orders. Those without any, or dealers not responding by the deadline didn't get an initial allocation. Don't know about the US. I guess you do.
I'm sure you are right about Europe and Canada. But don't forget we are dealing with BMWNA, not BMW in Germany; and this has been the way BMWNA have been handling the allocations
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Rezf said:
Not entirely correct. They get allocations according to the "size" of the dealership. This "size" is based on how many vehicles the dealership sold the previous year. This value is called SPG. The SPG values in the beginning of each year determine the dealerhsip's overall vehicle assignments for that calendar year. So a dealership with an SPG 1400 (1400 units sold the previous year) gets more M5s allocated than one with an SPG of 400 (small dealership.)


Is there a ranking of US BMW dealers by size anywhere on the web? I am just curious to see where my dealership falls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
freddydi said:
Is there a ranking of US BMW dealers by size anywhere on the web? I am just curious to see where my dealership falls.
Not sure, but I do know that dealerships are ranked according to their SPG. Just ask your dealer what their SPG is? Or do a search on the web
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top