BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per ALEV8'S request, here are some additional pics from Carmel and Laguna Seca :)

Moderators, I thought starting a new thread would enable more folks to see the new pics and allow easier viewing, but feel free to tag them onto my other thread if you feel that would be better.

Shelby Cobra on the streets of Carmel-By-The-Sea.

The 1965 Cobra 427 of Mac Archer just past Turn 4, Laguna Seca.

Maserati Bora. Ocean Avenue, Carmel.

1954 Maserati A6GCS under the awaning of its transporter. The little A6GCSs presaged the later development of the progressively larger and more powerful 200S and 300S, culminating in the massive and brutal 450Ss of '56-'57.

Ferrari 250TR being chased into Turn 3 by a Maserati 300S. Well matched adversaries from the mid '50s, when the Maserati-Ferrari rivalry spawned some unbelievably beautiful competition machines.

A beautiful and rare badge. 1958 Scarab MkI.

Another stunning '50s racer. 1955 Austin-Healey 100S.

"The Office". Aston Martin DBR2/2.

Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish S in the paddock.

Talbot T-26 GP from 1950. Exquisite.

The Talbot next to a 1928 Bugatti T-35C. The best of the French Grand Prix machines.

Love the color matched wheels on the GULF GT40.

Another '66 GT40 rolling out to the track for its practice run.

A glorious sight. GT40s braking into Turn 4. This was one of the largest gatherings of GT40s in recent memory.

GT40 thundering out of Turn 4.

Saving the best for last:

1979 BMW M1, one of two M1s in attendance.

1975 BMW 3.5 CSL, the genesis of BMW Motorsport. 30 years of M Power!

The legacy of motorsport that the Monterey Historics represent, as well as that of BMW M, lives on every time we fire up our M5s, and as I drive my beloved Tosca each time I cannot help but feel connected to our racing past...:flag:

:cheers:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for sharing, awesome photos - ahhh that CSL looks puuuurfect :noSMG:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I am a photo junkie, so thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!:1: :1:

I am probably one of only a few lunatics that has actually looked thru all the photos in the owners gallery!!ouich hmmm My wife thinks I am crazy, but she was looking with me last night.

Thanks agian for the great pics!!!:flag: :wroom:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did Speed Channel do their usual broadcast this year? I must've missed it. Gotta check and if someone Tivo'd it lemme know. Watching last years' CSLs and the GT40s was AWESOME.

Nice coverage Schnelle!

·
Registered
201 Posts

Loved the pictures, thanks for posting. What really helped me recognize more of the 1950's and 60's cars and appreciate them was the "Victory By Design" programs aired on Speedvision. One of my favorites (besides the stupidly gorgeous Ferrari 250GTO) was the Maserati 450S. What a machine.

Every time I see the photos of the BMW CSL's and M1's in the Motorsports livery on a white background, I get even more fired up about the stripe treatment on my E12 M535i. Next year hopefully .... it was after all a large part of the reason I went on a quest to find a white one in the US. Photo above is my car about two weeks ago. Photo below is how the stripes should look (BMW file photo of the M535i from 1979/1980).

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gustav, stuart, rodman, 2MS, ALEV8, Adam, Skip:

Thank you all very much for your comments, I really appreciate it. :)

Nice looking M you have, Adam :M5thumbs:

As Adam(flipwils11) mentioned, the Victory By Design series is an excellent source of information on race cars from not only the 50's and 60's, but provides a chronological summary of important cars from each marque covered(Alfa Romeo; Aston Martin; Ferrari; Jaguar; and Porsche), and are a real treat to watch. If you did not catch them on SPEED TV the individual episodes are available on DVD. Very high production value, and well worth the money, in my humble opinion. I probably watch these DVDs more than any others we have at home.

By the way, SPEED will be airing the 2005 Monterey Historics "Tribute To The Great American Specials" next Saturday, September 10th at 8PM EST, and again on September 16th at 3PM EST. Should be a great show. Alain de Cadenet always provides great color commentaries as well as insightful analysis of some very interesting race cars.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump to the top to link up with my other thread :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Kudos :thumbsup:

Hey can you get their original MSRP and current value.
That would be interesting..:M5eyes:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Schnelle,

I must say those are gorgeous pictures. The level of photography is knocking on professional standards.

That one of the teal Maserati Bora is just stunning.

What gear are you using?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
E39 MFIVE, Sam:

Thank you both very much! :)

Sam, you are way too generous in your critique of my photos. I have much yet to learn, and continue to experiment and improve my skills. The pics were shot with 2 different cameras, the majority being taken with a Nikon D100 with an AF Nikkor 28-200mmED lens. The other camera I used was a Nikon D70 with an AF Nikkor 18-70mmED lens. Both were handheld, and the action shots were taken from both the grandstand and trackside. I will work on obtaining press credentials next year so I can access better track locations. I also carried my rangefinder Leica M6-TTL with a 35mm 1:1.4 Summilux lens, great for candid people photography.

E39 MFIVE, I will try and look in my reference books for original prices on some of these fabulous cars. Their extreme rarity makes them incredibly valuable, and the fact that their current owners...stewards of history, really, run them on the track in these vintage motorsport events is truly a blessing for us all.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another bump to link with my other thread :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thanks for the pics - if only BMW still made cars like that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
foxyboym5:

Thank you. I think the "spirit" and "soul" of BMW Motorsport is still very much alive, if not the style(arguable) ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts