BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea on how to remove moisture from a headlight ?

Have left the bulb out for a day, used heatgun to clear moisture, have tossed in some moisture crystals -

Run with high beams on for an extended period of time?

Seal is good (at least appears that way)
last resort is to R/R and see if makes a difference
Being Euro lights was hoping someone has a thought or method that works
TIA
John

·
Registered
20 Posts
john lucas said:
Anyone have an idea on how to remove moisture from a headlight ?

Have left the bulb out for a day, used heatgun to clear moisture, have tossed in some moisture crystals -

Run with high beams on for an extended period of time?

Seal is good (at least appears that way)
last resort is to R/R and see if makes a difference
Being Euro lights was hoping someone has a thought or method that works
TIA
John
Back when I used to live in Oregon I'd get moisture in lights from time to time. I wouldn't worry to much about a small amount, but I would try to find how it's getting in there. In most of my cases it was rock chips in the front lens, easily fixed with some clear silicone sealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lkfosteraz said:
Back when I used to live in Oregon I'd get moisture in lights from time to time. I wouldn't worry to much about a small amount, but I would try to find how it's getting in there. In most of my cases it was rock chips in the front lens, easily fixed with some clear silicone sealer.

Thanks for answering back-
The lens is unblemished - no visible damage
thoughts ?
john

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm, my second quess would be from the back where the connectors plug into the light. I've never had any problems from that end, but you never know. I've only had the 5-3/4" lights that don't have the city light bulbs.

Do the rubber boots seal tightly against the back of the lenses? You might check by dusting a bit of talcum powder on the inside of the boots and then check them in awhile for water tracks. The powder shows water tracks better than the naked eye.

Back to the original issue, I don't know which brand headlights you've got (I'm guessing Hella) but I haven't seen any corrosion due to water to Marchal and Hella reflectors with in the past. I've had about an inch of water sloshing around before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts