BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking to Indra (our Lambo tech) and he said they cured cooling problems on an M30 by opening up the water cooling circuit holes in the head gasket.

So I thought I'd take a look for myself on the S38

Running parallel to the inlet and exhaust ports there's a series of 11mm diameter coolant ports in the head , 4 per cylinder,

However the head gasket has a partial restriction over some of these ports (head gasket opening for the port is 6.25mm) while some are 10.25mm

Indra suggests opening up the 6.25mm holes in the head gasket by another 2mm to 8mm

Anyone know why BMW used various sized holes (coolant regulation around hotter and colder parts of the head ?) and can see any reason why I shouldn't try this ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You're absolutely right, it is to drive the flow balance in the head to areas that need it most, and also to ensure an even temperature gradient to prevent distortion. Flow velocity is also controlled to prevent erosion.

Really, really, advise against making adjustments.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You're absolutely right, it is to drive the flow balance in the head to areas that need it most, and also to ensure an even temperature gradient to prevent distortion. Flow velocity is also controlled to prevent erosion.

Really, really, advise against making adjustments.
EXACTLY!!
No improvements needed.
The ///M guys spent YEARS and MILLIANS making the S38 engine bullet proof.
What the engine needs is:
1) good quality fuel with sufficient octane
2) cooling system preventative maintenance and repair,
3) frequent oil changes with a quality oil
4) follow inspection schedule

1 - 3 of 3 Posts