BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out there for any advice from the board.

I was talking with KingJaffeJaffer the other day about our headers and mods we made and he asked if I had my car tuned yet. I said no as I was planning on doing some other mods over winter before I had the tune done that way I only had to do it once.

He said I should take it easy driving since my AFR's were most likely out of whack due to the mods. Up to that point I really hadn not given it much thought and believed it would be okay to drive till I got the tune. I just assumed and maybe wrongly that the pc would adjust itself to run somewhat okay but not optimally like a tune would which would take advantage of the extras.

Which brings me to my question, I installed the SS headers and Dinan CAI's and nothing else that would effect the engine, am I okay to drive the beast or should I really be getting a tune before driving it anywhere?

Appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
That guy's a troublemaker hiha

Of course it is better to have the car tuned for any modifications, that is sort of the whole point of doing them ;) however, unless you do something to disrupt the functioning of the MAF sensors and the O2 sensors or make a fundamental change to the car (like different cams or changing displacement), the car can sort out minor changes as it is designed to do. You will not be getting the benefit from any modifications, but the car isn't going to explode without a tune.

Stand back while the arguing commences....:blabla:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Just throwing this out there for any advice from the board.

I was talking with KingJaffeJaffer the other day about our headers and mods we made and he asked if I had my car tuned yet. I said no as I was planning on doing some other mods over winter before I had the tune done that way I only had to do it once.

He said I should take it easy driving since my AFR's were most likely out of whack due to the mods. Up to that point I really hadn not given it much thought and believed it would be okay to drive till I got the tune. I just assumed and maybe wrongly that the pc would adjust itself to run somewhat okay but not optimally like a tune would which would take advantage of the extras.

Which brings me to my question, I installed the SS headers and Dinan CAI's and nothing else that would effect the engine, am I okay to drive the beast or should I really be getting a tune before driving it anywhere?

Appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks
You could always measure AFR if it's bothering you. Dyno to get the before/after. Or find a tuner who will do all of the above and tweak the tune as you go.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was admonished to take it easy after installing the SS headers until my JB tune was updated. This had me kind of worried because I had already put a few days and redline runs on the clock after the headers but before hearing this concern. No problems resulting that I know of, but I definitely took it easy and got that update ASAP.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That guy's a troublemaker hiha

Of course it is better to have the car tuned for any modifications, that is sort of the whole point of doing them ;) however, unless you do something to disrupt the functioning of the MAF sensors and the O2 sensors or make a fundamental change to the car (like different cams or changing displacement), the car can sort out minor changes as it is designed to do. You will not be getting the benefit from any modifications, but the car isn't going to explode without a tune.

Stand back while the arguing commences....:blabla:
LOL. Thanks Rao.

The reason I wanted to wait is that over the winter I want to add the Dinan MAF meters and a hi flow cat to the mix. I figured why pay for a tune for less then two months of driving and then have to have it done again in Apr when I pull it out of the garage.

I figured as long as the computer can compensate for a little and I wouldn't damage anything I would just enjoy it and then park it for winter down time and mods. Then next spring get it on the dyno and get the programming to take advantage of all the mods I did.

Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I am pretty sure most tuners would sent you a base tune to get you going, then modify the tune for final mods. Best bet is to call them and get their opinion. I am pretty sure Jailbreak will change the tune for you after mods for free or at reasonable charge.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am pretty sure most tuners would sent you a base tune to get you going, then modify the tune for final mods. Best bet is to call them and get their opinion. I am pretty sure Jailbreak will change the tune for you after mods for free or at reasonable charge.
I'd say that is the case with most tuners. Tune updates are usually much cheaper. Not sure how far you are from Frank Smith in Crofton, MD, but I'd recommend considering him along with the traditional Evolve/Jailbreak options, particularly since he does custom dyno tunes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say that is the case with most tuners. Tune updates are usually much cheaper. Not sure how far you are from Frank Smith in Crofton, MD, but I'd recommend considering him along with the traditional Evolve/Jailbreak options, particularly since he does custom dyno tunes.
That's actually where I was going to go was to Frank to have him do a custom tune on the car. That's why I wanted to wait till I got the larger MAF's and the hi flow cats on before making scheduling a date.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Always a bit risky for me venturing into this tune stuff but here goes - headers can significantly improve cylinder filling but as long as the MAF's are in range (and connected), the DME will keep AFR's and timing safe. At low to medium loads, when the system is still in closed loop, the O2 sensors do their important bit too.

Running MAF-less and at high loads when operation goes open loop introduces a bit more risk as there are no MAF's to pick up on the increased air flow and the DME is ignoring the O2 sensors, so the stock tune fuelling and timing tables are controlling and they are going to be a bit lean and advanced. But for headers and a CAI, I don't see things getting out of hand.

You probably should be more worried about rod bearings.

JK.

·
Registered
843 Posts
That's actually where I was going to go was to Frank to have him do a custom tune on the car. That's why I wanted to wait till I got the larger MAF's and the hi flow cats on before making scheduling a date.
If you plan on doing those next spring, I'd say go and get tuned. The touch up tune shouldn't be more than $1-200 tops and then you have another baseline to see if MAFs and HFCs helped and how much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts