BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I updated my Mk II 4:3 to a MkIV 16:9 this week, and updated my firmware to v30, then v31. Then I went back and tried modifying it to no success.

I acquired v.30 from dereki here, and then v.31 from the x5boards. I updated with dereki's and it didn't show the large ///M splash. So I used navtweak and updated the v31 software with the large ///M logo and edited the voice to the new VDO gb female voice off of x5 as well. Succesfully did the update, and still have the same =BMW= splash and boring american woman voice :confused:. The locations I used to edit the navboot file were:

V_2\RR\0101\BMWC01S\app_sw

Which I found using dereki's copy. Was I supposed to use 102 or 103?

Your help is appreciated.

-Bump

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
there are, from memory, 3 places to change the voice files. Also, this only affects the navigation voice guidance, and not the voice in the voice recognition module (eg for phone), which chooses it's language from the VR module based upon the coding of the nav unit.
My only thought with the ///M splash is that it didn't save after your navtweak edit. Open up your edited disk navboot file using navtweak and check your splash image.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LFC,

Yep, definitely checked the navboot file in the iso twice. It was there, but I'll check it again. Also, I didn't say where I edited the voice file, but it was in the LANGUAGES folder, I think 506 subfolder. Ya I'm just as boggled. I know my nav unit came out of a 2003 540 if that changes anything, but I didn't think it would.

-Bump

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can you list out the specific steps you followed when making the changes to the navboot file? Either you didn't modify it correctly or the update did not actually apply and w/o knowing the exact steps you followed it is hard to determine. (You were in the correct folder for the navboot file based on your original post.) Did you verify the sw version of the Nav OS before and after the upgrade?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure thing.

I started with 4/1/21 or whatever the stock 03 mkIV nav update was. I think downloaded the large ///M iso that was on dereki's site he posted in
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113250

burned it, and loaded it into my nav. The bar was there, took about a minute, kicked the disc out and pressed ok, rebooted. Same BMW logo. Then I went onto X5world, got the v31, got navtweak, got magic ISO, and got nrg to iso.

converted the nrg to iso, then opened magic iso.

extracted the navboot files from the path in my previous posts, did the right click, replace. saved the file onto my desktop as "navboot" then drug and dropped it back into my open magic iso session.

Reopened magic iso to check the navboot file with navtweak to make sure it showed up #14 rombitmaps as the m logo.

then I burned it using nero on 8x (lowest setting) and installed. bar moved across, updated and kicked the disc, rebooted and crappy bmw logo.

I enabled the perspective view at least.

and my nav s/w versions went up to 4/1/91 and then to 4/1/100 so I went to the board for help. And here we are.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That image file s/b the correct size so you should not have any problem there. When I do my custom splash screen (or any other navboot mods) I use UltraISO to open the nav file (it will open it directly w/o needing the conversion from .nrg file).

Navigate to the V_2\RR\0101\BMWC01S\app_sw and then select the navboot file from the window on the right.

Left click and save the navboot to my desktop.

Open the navboot on the desktop with Navtweak.

Click on the Images tab and then click on the Rombiticons tab within Images.

Scroll down to #14 and right click on it and select replace.

Browse to where your ///M logo file is and select it.

Use File - Save to save the modified navboot file on the desktop.

Drag the modified navboot file from the desktop to the right side window in UltraISO and when prompted about replacing the existing file click OK.

Use UltraISO to save the nav OS as an ISO file and name it whatever you want.

Burn that file to a CD at the slowest speed available.

Load the CD in the MKIV and let it install the OS.

This has worked for me on numerous occasions. The one issue you will run into now is that since you are at v31 you will either need to downgrade to v30 and then upgrade to v31 or you will need to tweak your custom v31 to appear as a v31.1 so the system will perform the upgrade. If you downgrade and then upgrade your Nav system will get recoded to europe and you will need to use navcoder with an ibus interface to recode it back to US. If you want to tweak the sw to make the computer think it is a newer version you need to do the following:

Extract the 2 .tbl files from the folder: \V_2\RR\0101\BMWC01S (Drag them from the right side window of UltraISO to the desktop)

Open it in an HEX editor (like Freeware, PSPad or Hex Editor Neo)

In the first line you find: 31 30 30 30 This means: 1000 So: Software-Version 10.00

Just edit the last 30 to 31 and you nav unit will think it's a new Software Version 10.01 and you s/b able to update your V31 without prior downgrade to V30

Save the files after editting them

Drag them back into the right side folder in UltraISO and clcik OK when prompted about replacing them.

Save your image file and burn to CD at slowest possible speed.

I hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
the languages need to be modified in 3 places - V_2/Voices/0502; V_2/language/0103 and V-2/language/0105.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LFC -- you're saying that the renamed gb_f.csf needs to be copied in 502, 103, and 105?

Q -- if I'm reading that right, does the coding of my nav have anything to do with showing the splash? I think mine might not be coded to US - I don't get the warning screen when I go to the GPS functions, which was one indicator I read about.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
no, BB, you need to change the files in those other folders too. Rename the usa4_f.csf to usa4_f.bak, and rename the gb4_f.csf to usa4_f.csf as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
BB

Coding of the nav should not prevent the splash screen from displaying, only from the warning screen. The most likey reason I can think of based on what you said you did is that if you edit the navboot file directly from the image rather than save it to the local hard drive, then edit it and then save it back to the image. I would try that and see if it works.

Mike

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
BB
I think your problem is that you also have to downgrade your nav to V27 possibly, as there is essentially no difference in the software for Mk4 IBUS navs in version 30 and version 31. I think 30 and 31 may even be unchanged from version 29.
So your nav will not detect a change and hence won't apply the file changes you have done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts