BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through the forums, and I can't seem to find anyone who's managed to put together a body style/model year differences list.

On some of the other forums I partake in, they have a nice FAQ or Sticky post that lists the body styles of the vehicle, and all of the differences for each year.

For example, what's different between the 06' and 07' M5? How about 07' to 08'?

Lights, interior changes, iDrive knob etc etc ...

Does anyone have a complete list or even a partial list where we could start tracking the changes?

The reason I ask is some of the changes could be relevant to someones decision in buying a used 06' and used 07', or a new 08'.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone knows if there is a complete list somewhere, to easily see what changed year to year.

-F

·
Registered
91 Posts
2006 is the first E60 M5 model.
2007 added an optional no-cost 6-speed manual option.
2008 added:
- Monaco Blue as a color option;
- Options of soft close doors, heated steering wheel, and iPod USB adapter;
- A facelift for the headlights and tail lights as well as LED tails, if I am not mistaken.
- Different designs for the inner doors (handle, switches, etc)

Also, late-2006 and beyond fixed most ailing iDrive, SMG hydraulic pump, and VANOS issues. And I think that late 2006 models added an Aux jack on the rear of the front middle console (Mine doesn't have it but others do :().

I think thats all?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good start!

I know there are more changes to the 08's, I've heard the interior has some changes as well... a new iDrive knob for example.

-F

·
Registered
637 Posts
'08 New I-Drive Knob; 6 customizable pre-set buttons; reconfigured center console; different driver interior door handle and driver door buttons moved; Softer, more padded steering wheel for non-heated wheel

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have an '06, and I personally like it much better than the newer ones.

Reasons:
1. Seats are much more comfortable and look better.
2. Door panels have a much better design ergonomically and aesthetically as well.
3. Center console design is nicer with the leather instead of the trim.

Downsides:
1. Force feedback iDrive Knob
2. Slower iDrive system
3. No Traffic exception reporting

That's my take. I think the pros outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Just search "08 facelift changes" and you've got it all. Gustav did a very comprehensive thread with pics along with many others. From my point of view the 08 SMG wins by a nose. (I've had an 06, 07 & 08) IMHO :cool2:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just search "08 facelift changes" and you've got it all. Gustav did a very comprehensive thread with pics along with many others. From my point of view the 08 SMG wins by a nose. (I've had an 06, 07 & 08) IMHO :cool2:
Just out of curiosity, why do you buy a new M5 every year? Seems like a waste of money.

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do you buy a new M5 every year? Seems like a waste of money.
Do a search on" Vanos" issues and your question to Barry will be answered in vivid detail.:3: You may want to get yourself a class of wine, get comfortable and make an evening of it!:hihi:
:cheers:

Reactions: Barry Lausch

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
2006 is the first E60 M5 model.
2007 added an optional no-cost 6-speed manual option.
2008 added:
- Monaco Blue as a color option;
- Options of soft close doors, heated steering wheel, and iPod USB adapter;
- A facelift for the headlights and tail lights as well as LED tails, if I am not mistaken.
- Different designs for the inner doors (handle, switches, etc)

Also, late-2006 and beyond fixed most ailing iDrive, SMG hydraulic pump, and VANOS issues. And I think that late 2006 models added an Aux jack on the rear of the front middle console (Mine doesn't have it but others do :().

I think thats all?
:nono::nono: 2005 first e60m5....

·
Registered
234 Posts
what are the differences between the smg II and the smg III in the 2008. i hear the programming is different and feels completely different. any opinions on the change?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts