BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am still quite a newbie to this, and was wondering a few things.

I met a great couple of guys that have suggested upgrading my air intake, muffler and my engine software.

I have the engine software (Dinan) done already (yesterday), and I have a tubi exhaust.

With about 4000 to spend, what else should I do? I haven't done the air intake yet as I am just trying to get an idea of what is best.

I am looking for horsepower, and really a deeper sounding vehicle.

Thought/ideas?

·
Registered
540 Posts
HP gains from intake are minimal, but you do get some sound.

For real gains, I would go in this order

headers/cats
rear differential
ssk

headers are prob biggest power bang for the buck
differential adds illusion of increased power gains that you can feel
ssk is a bit of refinement to the total process

this will exceed your budget but can be done in steps as more funds become available.

good luck

al

G

·
Welcome to the messageboard.

For $4K you should be able to get Supersprint headers and Supersprint down-pipes plus installation. If you are interested in purchasing, please send us an e-mail, and we will see if we can offer you an additional discount.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome to the Mod squad. I think the differential would be my choice.

It gives the most bang for the buck. Then I would go headers!
whatever you do, good luck!
Stevus:M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
I'd also go with headers, iirc, it cost me just above $4500 for the headers, ceramic coating, down pipes to use the oe cats and installation. If you're really set on a 4k budget, skip the coating... best bang for the buck mod. I got over 20hp at peak and close to 30 at around 6900 rpm.
Mike

·
Registered
204 Posts
Would you guys recomend new headers before a CAI? Just curious where I should start, I'm thinking tubi exhaust, then AA CAI, then Powerchip tuned for them. Should I include SS headers to the plan before the Powerchip?

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
The stock air intake is pretty efficient. I do think the AA system is a good one though. If you do headers, you need software to compensate for them, but if you go in stages, you can always update the software as needed.
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts