BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got snapped last weekend, apparently I was breaking the speed limit..terrible.
Thinking about the fixed penalty, I'm wondering what happens when a bike passes through at speed seeing as they have no front plates. Is it a question of one of those hard working, underpaid mobile operators trying to get the rear plate details as the bike speeds past or do bikers get away with it ?????

cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Phlem5 said:
I got snapped last weekend, apparently I was breaking the speed limit..terrible.
Thinking about the fixed penalty, I'm wondering what happens when a bike passes through at speed seeing as they have no front plates. Is it a question of one of those hard working, underpaid mobile operators trying to get the rear plate details as the bike speeds past or do bikers get away with it ?????

cheers,
Phil.

Alas the bikers get away with it. However the down side is your life expectancy by both a. owning a motorbike and b. speeding ain't too great!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jonathan, if that's the case then nobody should be getting fined / endorsed, Justice and all that. I'm waiting on a responce from a bizzie that I know, if you are right then I dont see how they can doo some motorists and not others. Funny thing is that my front plate fell off a couple of days later - sods law.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got caught by laser trap in Gloustershire - my snooper did not warn me - anyone had similar issues with mobile laser traps?

:grrrr:

Phlem5 said:

cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Dev said:
I got caught by laser trap in Gloustershire - my snooper did not warn me - anyone had similar issues with mobile laser traps?

:grrrr:

I've been through three laser traps (two of them were on blind bends and I was over by about 15mph ) but the laser jammer on the car mean't I didn't get a ticket.

Did get a funny look though from the safety van operator.

Best

M5 Powered

·
Registered
271 Posts
I got blinked a year past September - got the NIP - filled it in but never signed it - after a few letters from the police - it has been forgotten about.

zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
durt said:
I got blinked a year past September - got the NIP - filled it in but never signed it - after a few letters from the police - it has been forgotten about.

Or they are preparing a case for a failure to disclose (S174 which now covers non-signing). They have 6 months from the last communication to file.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well - the 6 month period is well past - it tickles me how they tell you to post stuff to them via recorded delivery - funny that - i cannot remember getting any recorded mail from the police and co.

1 rule for 1 and another rule for others !

ouich

·
Registered
34 Posts
durt said:

Ahem,

Happened to be on business trip on your paradise island a couple of weeks ago, aaaand naturally got flashed in the super fast rental piece of sh*t that I was driving.:noSMG:

Since naturally I have no desire to support that kind of revenue collecting, I would appreciate any advice on how to get away without paying. That is assuming the ticket gets here to me in the first place.

Jussi

·
Registered
246 Posts
SAFETY CAMERA PARNERSHIPS PLEASE!!

I have also just been through the round of fending off an endorsement and fixed penalty (failed).
I used the route of asking for the photographic evidence etc. They are meant to reply that this can only be seen in court where you are then liable for greater penalties etc. You then go for the retaliation of an offence by them of Extorting Money With Menaces. The B******* sent me the photographs ending the tactic. By then I was not willing to take on the court proceedings and paid up.
My safety breach was proceding with other traffic ( 2 photographs 10 seconds apart show 3 cars on inside lane of dual carriageway) at 82 mph.

At least my other tickets have had a speed in an area which may be considered by some to be excessive. My opinion of being done for 82 is that I believe I have wasted 3 points. I could have been doing 95.

I have a Origin B fixed Camera Detector but as yet have thought the legal issue of a laser jammer not to be worth the risk.

What of the recent case overturned due to the proved innacuracy of the laser unit in Northern Scotland.
Could rant on for ever on this subject, as I guess could most of us.

:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is the speed you would need to be doing to avoid been snapped on a standard camara? It surly must have a excess?

I seem to remember a Top Gear episode where they ran a TVR through a camara to try and avoid the second picture but i can not remember the speed.

Wonder if its been done?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
86 for me Brian, slowing from triple figures ((dual carriageway), so fair doo's in my case, but, my point is how can we get done for it when bikers get away with it, that's not on. The law should be applicable to all road users so if some cant be fined/endorsed how can anyone. I should post this on the e39 forum, as I get the impression there's a few legal eagle's on that forum.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Brian M5 said:
What of the recent case overturned due to the proved innacuracy of the laser unit in Northern Scotland.
Could rant on for ever on this subject, as I guess could most of us.

:cheers:

When was this case? Someone took the police to court a few years back on the same charge. The guy spent 15K with expert witnesses stating that the LTI-20 20 laser gun he had been shot with was fundamentally flawed. The Judge ruled against him and he lost the case , basically because of the potential fall out if he had won.

Just so you know, in a few states in the US laser guns are not considered accurate enough to be used in speeding prosecutions.

Best

M5 powered

·
Registered
868 Posts
RWH said:
What is the speed you would need to be doing to avoid been snapped on a standard camara? It surly must have a excess?

I seem to remember a Top Gear episode where they ran a TVR through a camara to try and avoid the second picture but i can not remember the speed.

Wonder if its been done?
It is around the 160MPH + mark that GATSO cameras don't accurately work as many Bikers in this part of the world know.

At this speed you are basically too far down the road for them to calculate your speed via the combination of photo and white lines which is required in a addition to the radar gun.

·
Registered
246 Posts
M5 powered said:
When was this case? Someone took the police to court a few years back on the same charge. The guy spent 15K with expert witnesses stating that the LTI-20 20 laser gun he had been shot with was fundamentally flawed. The Judge ruled against him and he lost the case , basically because of the potential fall out if he had won.

This case was quite recent and I did a search to come up with this linkI can't be guilty m'lud

His car could not go at the alleged speed. Not a good defence for me but it throws the accuracy of the lasers into question.
cherrsagai

·
Registered
32 Posts
M5 powered said:
It is around the 160MPH + mark that GATSO cameras don't accurately work as many Bikers in this part of the world know.

At this speed you are basically too far down the road for them to calculate your speed via the combination of photo and white lines which is required in a addition to the radar gun.
Brilliant. Well then with a few modifications the trusty mini one D may be able to top out at 160+ lets just see!!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Brian M5 said:
This case was quite recent and I did a search to come up with this linkI can't be guilty m'lud

His car could not go at the alleged speed. Not a good defence for me but it throws the accuracy of the lasers into question.
cherrsagai
Not really as the car is easily chippable to remove the limiter - just plug the original chip back in when it's examined and it can't do the indicated speed.

Doesn't mean the driver is innocent, or that the car is incapable or the speed, or that the laser was wrong in this instance.

I wonder if the Police bothered investigating whether he had purchased a modified chip - could have examined his bank/credit card records for the period of ownership, or contacted the previous owner to see if they had one fitted and whether it was declared to the current owner.

I'm a big, fat bastard who should be physically incapable of playing any sport without collapsing after 5 minutes, however I can swim, dive, ski, play over an hour of rugby, badminton and/or volleyball.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts